mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I had one for a couple months

I found it to be an impractical as anything I've ever seen. Keep in mind, in the "traditional" rules of paintball, if they hit the bow in any place, you're out

It's as novelty as anything I've ever seen in paintball

I'm sure if you went up to an 80+ pound draw, you might be able to get the velocity up to something useable, but using RPS Premium from about 50 feet away, I had a hard time making paint break on anything but the hardest of targets. If you don't hit a mask lense, loader or tank, it's just going to bounce. And anyone using even the most inaccurate rental gun, will overpower you and shoot you out with ease

Maybe for teaching kids archery, without the worries of arrows, I'd be all over this. But for something to actually use on a paintball field, against REAL opponents, this novelty is laughable at best.

This ranks up there with the Goblin, just a gadget for lulz

Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Man in Tights

And yet, if I remember one of your first videos about it, you had a blast playing with it.

Ive never been super competitive about paintball, its always been for fun and mostly drop-in play.
I've had games where I did fine with an old PGP and others where i wanted a little more firepower but not too worried I suspect I'll get decent velocity out of the new design and if nothing else I'll have fun learning archery with real arrows.

Keep in mind I traded a Tac One with a SHP reg for this, so like i said, just for fun
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Just thought I'd mention that after taking off the barrel I could see a detent for the ball...so no worries for rollouts. Only thing will be bore size vs. velocity...

Also, met a guy at Wholesale Outdoor Sports who, when I told him I was looking for clothes for paintball, said he "converts" people to airsoft. I told him I'd be happy to try it...except that I'd just got a compound bow attachment for paintball. Jaw drop! You know what he is googling later.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Sorry, please delete. Page showed comment hadn't been submitted -__-
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Limited paint FTW

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post
Just thought I'd mention that after taking off the barrel I could see a detent for the ball...so no worries for rollouts. Only thing will be bore size vs. velocity...

Also, met a guy at Wholesale Outdoor Sports who, when I told him I was looking for clothes for paintball, said he "converts" people to airsoft. I told him I'd be happy to try it...except that I'd just got a compound bow attachment for paintball. Jaw drop! You know what he is googling later.
And you can make it work for Airsoft too.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
And you can make it work for Airsoft too.
Noice. I thought I saw something like that; knew it could do .22 pellets.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Well, had a blast playing with it yesterday...got a mercy and a small target "longball" (well, probably 50 yards, it's hard to aim that when you have to hold it back for a while!) plus some other eliminations.

Only issue I had was low velocity; it may improve when I get to use summer paint (it was older winter paint as it was close to 0C) but I suspect my only issue is the large-bore stock barrel (I've heard around .692). I was pulling back at 60-65 lbs and needless to say my arm is a little sore today but no worries...only trouble was I was shooting about 250 fps. So I would probably be happy to back down the weight and get the same or get at least 280 at that pull.

Anybody try an aftermarket Spyder barrel on it yet? I understand you need a low O.D. to fit it (or you need to modify it) but I suspect a .680 barrel would help a LOT (current barrel is 20"; 15" or so unported from before the threads). Keep in mind due to a slow build in speed a shorter barrel will not help.

CP 2 piece 21" appears to be about 16" until porting, and I can get in .682. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by cdrinkh20; 04-22-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I'd tape mod an Apex tip on the end... The backspin would help a ton keeping your speed up and add length to your shots when shooting 220-250fps.

Set it at 4 clicks and leave it.

We have a gun shop here in town that used to carry paintball, and they have an old model of this, that I would love to pick up, but I sold all my compound bows last fall... And they are still asking original retail price on it... What are old ones worth now? It is still sealed, but 15% off $269 doesn't sound like a deal...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Man in Tights

You can get a new one (slightly redesigned chamber for better velocity) for $199 online...so that's not really good. Hardest part of getting one was the combo pack, the bow in my combo was backordered like 2-3 months.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

I have a newer one on a 60lb bow, I get right around 270fps out of it. Its horribly impractical and kind of hard to use. That said it is rapidly becoming my favorite marker. It is a blast to use.
bryceeden is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone