mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Airow Gun - tips and your experience

Hey guys,

So, I'm new to both compound bows and the Airow Gun: any advice for playing with it? What.FPS with paintballs are you getting--what draw length and draw weight did you use?

Thanks!
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
It's been a while since I broke mine out, but I usually shoot between 220 and 250 with mine. It's always been a bit finicky with the fps and it look a bit to get mine working properly.

That said, it definitely is a fun set-up and you're going to get a lot of questions. The first thing I would suggest is replacing the 10 round feed tube with a hopper. You're already juggling manipulating the bolt and string and reloading just adds another thing to manage. I find that the triangular 50 round hoppers work quite well for this. Other than that, you just need to be careful on your cover. Since you need to draw, you need significantly more room in your cover. It's also a bit tricky using low bunkers - I try to stick to solid structures I can stand behind. I've also had my best luck in getting eliminations by getting as close as possible. You do have a bit of an advantage when it comes to the lower sound profile and you can get some great sneaky eliminations with it.

Other than that have fun and let us know how it goes!
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Sounds good, thanks im trying to figure out a draw weight that will be playable but that will be easy to practice regular archery with too! I pulled my girlfriend's dad's 55 lb compound but I want to be able.to.draw a little faster (though my technique is crap so im sure that will come regardless of weight). I have a brand.new.one so I should have less velocity issues.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
If I recall correctly they recommend a 60 lb pull for the airow gun - I think you should be ok but just keep an eye out for that just in case. You also might need to cut down the shaft of the plunger, depending on your brand. I learned the hard way that the plunger can punch through the front if not cut properly.

There's another thread that tackles a lot of the problems other users have had -> Airow gun. I would defiantly suggest checking it out if you haven't already.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Man in Tights

I haven't recently, but will do. Actually, my arrow shaft came pre cut and glued for me with my bow, so no worries there. I believe it was 29" and 60 lb pull for their initial recommendation, but due to the initial design it didnt reach much higher than 230-250. With mods and new version seems to shoot much faster so I'd be curious to see if I could get 260 or 270 with a 50 lb pull.

Crap....does that mean they cut it to match the default draw length of 25"? I hope not...

Last edited by cdrinkh20; 04-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Another thought guys....is this a closed-bolt rollout kind of marker? Should I be on the lookout for a tighter bore Spyder barrel?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Furry Tailed One

I believe it is... I'm fairly certain the ball sits in the barrel when shooting and not just in the chamber. I don't know where you'd find a tight bore 20"+ barrel in spyder thread however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaluvr View Post
Skiddish is an Elliot Spitzer, if you will.
Most people don't know that skittish is the proper spelling for "jittery". Don't believe me... Look it up.
skiddish9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Maybe if it irritates me enough and I like playing with the Airowgun enough I can ask Palmer's to make me one for like $100... lol.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Buy a release dont use your fingers to draw.

Quote:
Mike Casady: "I believe that stock class showcases the skill of the player and structures the play to a more sportsmanlike game."
Crashkt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Limited paint FTW

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post
Another thought guys....is this a closed-bolt rollout kind of marker? Should I be on the lookout for a tighter bore Spyder barrel?
I haven't had any rollout problems with the stock barrel on mine so far; I've thought about seeing if I can get it Freak bored just to be sure. I've looked around for even a .685 or so 20" Spyder threaded barrel and have had no luck.

I have one of the older Airow guns and on a 50# pull bow I get 220-230 fps. I actually contacted Airow gun about getting some replacement screws and they said I could send it in for an update to newer specs and I'll get more fps out of it. Haven't sent it in yet, but I really should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashkt90 View Post
Buy a release dont use your fingers to draw.
I've actually found that I like using just my fingers to draw. It's a bit faster one the draw that way.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone