mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

I just attached a helmet cam to my helmet 1 month ago and it fell off. The first 2 weeks it was on flush I must be doing something wrong lol. It uses 3m tape but did anyone else have this kind of problem?
ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Did you clean the area with alcohol before applying the tape? I did that, then put a weight on the tape to ensure a good seal overnight. Mine has been on since the contour roam's came out, well over a year ago. It has soaked up quite a bit of paint over the years too. It has peeled off a little, but it still works fine. (another reason to use zip ties, as they help hold the camera in position even if the mounting tape fails).
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Yes on both surfaces, mount and helmet I put pressure on it for at least 20+ mins and it still fell off. I think its because the surface of the mount is curved, it ended up having only 2 points of contact, the middle retracted upwards 2 weeks after I attached it before it fell off.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaw999 View Post
Kinda surprised I haven't seen anyone use these yet... Pivothead -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
Interesting....expensive but interesting nonetheless. I find it odd that they only do 8gig storage internally. That seems like a drawback to me...would not be too difficult to allow for a microSD or something to allow for 32+Gig of storage....then could record as long as battery holds out.
I agree. They add a microSD slot and an interchangeable battery and that gets much more appealing.

Even then, though, the image stabilization doesn't seem to be very good just from looking at their promo videos. (It's telling that the bulk of what they show on their promo videos is filmed without using their own product)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragu View Post
Yes on both surfaces, mount and helmet I put pressure on it for at least 20+ mins and it still fell off. I think its because the surface of the mount is curved, it ended up having only 2 points of contact, the middle retracted upwards 2 weeks after I attached it before it fell off.
The instructions that came with mine said to let it cure for 24 hours. Maybe yours didn't get fully cured?
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

Nope I left it alone for longer. I think I'll have to try either jb weld hold on a curved surface with 3m tape or zip ties with material padded underneath it the curved portion.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
On YouTube there are several guys that used epoxy to fill the voids in a curved surface. Maybe try that out as it looks cleaner than JB weld.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

I literally just peeled off the remainder 3m tape with no effort at all, maybe it was a defective batch I got but even if it did work only about half of it would be touching the surface, time for zip ties...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Heres a raw video of a random game i was playing. This is normally where i keep the camera cause on the savephace mask there is a nice hard flat spot for mounting.
as you can see there is no shake or hopper issues as im using a mount that moves the camera roughly 2 inches off the side. ill get a picture in a bit

Gopro 3 Black

http://youtu.be/Mp3UAlogoVM

Mechs For Sale
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

I'm no expert but I've been playing around with different setups. I still hate cameras on the side because 50% of the time your looking at a bunker or a hopper.

I tried something from the airsoft world and made a 3rd person camera.
Results were interesting.

Pros;
the movement is much different from head mounted and I kinda find it more stable. (oddly, my wife and some of my non paintball playing friends also preferred this view)
you can see a bit more around me and the hopper isnt up in your face
no added weight to my mask.

Cons;
still mounted on only 1 side of my body.
you can't see far enough ahead
if i bend or tilt, the camera angle becomes odd
can be exposed to hits, can reveal your location

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ciVi60aVzA

Then I saw what you guys were doing with your contours and visors. I wasn't able to just wedge it in. Instead I took 5 minutes and made a mount using some deck metal and 3 screws. Worked A1, even though its hanging out about 4inches it doesnt bother me much.

Pros
the view is more centered
don't have to worry about tilting or any other strange angles
secured to my mask tight via screws
does not add any extra height or width to me profile

Cons
does add 4 inches in front of me (not a major issue for me, but I can see it bothering people
adds tiny bit of weight to my mask
requires construction of a bracket
hopper still gets in the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bgEiGsmKk

It's really a work in progress. I think you just need to experiment until you find something that works for you.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone