mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
www.armorsquad.com

Action Cams and Their Placement

I'm thinking of getting an action cam to get some video footage. I have done handheld photo and video but would like to make filming less of an afterthought and more of a spontaneous activity while in play.

To narrow the scope, I'm looking at a Contour style camera but really looking for thoughts in placement. What kind of advantages/disadvantages come with some of the various placements i.e. side or top of mask, barrel or marker, or anywhere else?

Most of the play will be scenario/big game, woodsball. I'm a right hander and use a variety of markers, including a lot of pistol play.

Placement thoughts or tips?

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

from my experience, marker = bad. you'd be surprised how often your gun points below the horizon.

personally i mount mine front and center on the forehead, so that i can peek out both sides of the bunker without worries, the drawback is i have to mind the hopper, and line my eyes with the side of the hopper instead of the side of the barrel, or else the hopper blocks the view.

side of the mask would get rid of that problem, but you'll have to stick your head pretty far out to play on the "wrong" side of the bunker.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I have been experimenting with an R7 Replay. I have found that low on the left side of the mask works best for me.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I've tried just about every possible place to mount a camera on a mask. Left, right, top, visor, right side of visor, left side of visor, under visor (sticks out really far) and even on my nose...

The best I have found is with the lens between your nose and your left eye. (has to be between your eyes, as you lean out enough for both of your eyeballs to see your target, so you can judge distance). If you center it exactly, you end up getting hopper shots, but if you move it over another inch, it will still pick up everything, and get almost no hopper. A low profile hopper obviously is better (tippmann A-5 low profile hopper works great paired with a cyclone).

You need something on the back of the camera to keep it from bouncing when you run. I used to use duct tape, but now I use a zip tie, as it is reusable, and works better.

Here is what you can expect with it mounted like that. (I film in 720hd with the 170 wide angle setting, you can go to 1080 and get a smaller field of view, but I personally like the widest angle as it shows more of what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cjfuK8V4Gg
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Weekend Warrior

RTP Fan
Kinda surprised I haven't seen anyone use these yet... Pivothead -

WTB:
- Taso rat attack bucket changer with original steel pierce pin!
- duckslide 1 piece feed
llaw999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

I use a Tachyon HD and also have mine centered above my eyes. It's super low profile and light so I forget its there sometimes.
808Jackal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

I really like the centered-above-the-eyes placement. You can see things happening now matter which way you're looking/shooting. Side mounting tends to mean you get one side clearly, and one side full of bunker. Gun mounting has its own problems, but you do see where you're shooting.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I just bought a contour roam2 and filmed my first outing yesterday. I chose to mount it off the right side of my mask and missed the best shot I had all day when I leaned to the left out of a window.

Has anyone used the tripod hole and just screwed a bolt in through their visor or something above the eyes?
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I hear ya Manning... I did the same thing when I mounted mine on the side of my mask... I was guarding my flag and an attack team came up to the front of my camp, and I ran over to our outhouse, and my camera was on my left side of my mask, and got ONLY the side of the outhouse, while I proceeded to shoot out the ENTIRE group of 6 in about 10 seconds.

ARRRGH!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I just bought a contour roam2 and filmed my first outing yesterday. I chose to mount it off the right side of my mask and missed the best shot I had all day when I leaned to the left out of a window.

Has anyone used the tripod hole and just screwed a bolt in through their visor or something above the eyes?
The only problem that I can think of is how high it may stick up, and it not mounted correctly, issues of it leaning to one side or another. I like FE's version, put it on it's side, and basically strap it down. Unfortunately, if you don't have a helmet mask combo, you end up having to figure out how to get the back side strapped down, or maybe you can just move it forward a bit, so it sticks out from your mask a little?
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone