mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have found that it is also difficult to remove the extra fluid from balls that have gotten wet and swollen.

As slapadapink said things are "worth" different amounts to different people depending on a lot of different things. I have some guns up for sale that apparently aren't worth what I thought they were as only a couple of them have sold. And those were the ones I didn't want sold! I had a pair of Brass Eagle Nightmares that I would have valued at about $20 and was shocked when i was offered an ANS autococker for one. We were both EXTREMELY happy with that trade. Then I have a Puma pistol that is probably valued at about $70 that I wouldn't sell for $700. Gun Value is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Having said that, I have seen several guns listed where I wondered what the seller was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think you guys missed his point, or maybe I am, who knows. I think what he was trying to say was that he hates when people tell you what you would have paid when it was new.

Some paintball gun -brand new was $xxx
Sweet upgraded bolt - was $xx new
extra accurate barrel that is quiet as a mouse - $xxx when new
red dot - Gander Mt. is selling for $xx
Etc.

So in the end he is saying what you guys are. Who cares what it was worth, I will decide what it is worth.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
I can't understand most of your post, but resale value is based on how bad people want something, not depreciation due to age.
If resale prices were based on age depreciation, a '69 Stingray would be worth $.42.
QFT. And when there's something that people seem to want, and not a lot of those things in the market (i.e. something that has been discontinued), then it may even fetch more than what it cost new.

Also, there's a point when a product hits a basic equilibrium on resale value. Take the AGD 68 Automag for example. Prices hold pretty steady in the $80 to $120 range for a complete, basic Classic 68, with that range varying upon condition, upgrades, and accessories, and even with non-product-related things such as the seller's reputation and reliability. They still work, so there's a basic minimum value a person will expect to pay or receive in exchange for one.

I don't really deal with Dye markers, but my guess is that the same applies. Dye may have put a closeout on all their 2011 line, and may be selling them for the same price that people are expecting to sell them used. But Dye isn't manufacturing any more of the 2011 line, so there's already a finite amount. Once suppliers are out of the "new" ones, there's only going to be used ones left. So chances are, with that example, the minimum used market price has pretty much been reached, albeit stifled a bit by the closeout pricing for the time being.

As for upgrades, they certainly can add value. Any bad, irreversible mod is going to hurt the value. That's a given. But something that isn't irreversible and is a commonly upgraded part can help keep the value up. For example, if I'm in the market for a Tippmann A5 and could buy a brand new, bone stock A5 for the same price as a gently used, perfectly working A5 with fresh cyclone upgrades, polished internals, a RT trigger upgrade and aftermarket on/off ASA, it's a no brainer which one I'm going to choose.

Just food for thought. Ranting gives people the munchies.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassett View Post
I think you guys missed his point, or maybe I am, who knows. I think what he was trying to say was that he hates when people tell you what you would have paid when it was new.

Some paintball gun -brand new was $xxx
Sweet upgraded bolt - was $xx new
extra accurate barrel that is quiet as a mouse - $xxx when new
red dot - Gander Mt. is selling for $xx
Etc.

So in the end he is saying what you guys are. Who cares what it was worth, I will decide what it is worth.
Not exactly what I got from his post. What I got was:

Seller bought 2011 Rail for $450 new in 2011.

Seller lists 2011 Rail for sale in 2013 for $250, citing some minor upgrades.

OP says "2011 Rails can be bought new for $250 now, so your marker isn't worth that much! Upgrades don't matter, they only hurt the value! That used 2011 Rail can only be worth $166! (2/3 value)"
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just reread that wall of text. I miss read. I concede my opinion on what I thought the OP was trying to say.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
It depends what used paintball gear we're talking about. I hear that parts are no longer available for 05, 06, 07 Egos? Even later models? Whereas Palmer has the parts to keep Sheridans running that are older than I am.

To Kahnif's point, the annual redesign business model changes the used market drastically. I'm just not interested in a space gun that might be a brick tomorrow because the OEM won't supply the aftermarket with replacement parts. To me personally, the price for a used DM or Ego quickly falls to its weight in scrap. 'Course I ain't the majority.
Feedback

RIP
heinous
2006-2014
"No, I'M sorry"

Last edited by Axel; 04-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I see people all the time listing stuff at prices that I just chuckle at. I've learned to simply move on. By the same token, I often tell people that come in at 2/3 of my asking price (99% of the time I am pretty spot on) that my pricing is firm and to check back with me in a month or so if its not sold. Rarely happens. Sounds to me like someone has what the OP wants and isnt willing to lower their price to the level that HE feels that it should be at. Tough noogies. Its the sellers right to sell his stuff for whatever he can get for it. Its your right as a buyer to not buy it if you feel its unfair.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Not exactly what I got from his post. What I got was:

Seller bought 2011 Rail for $450 new in 2011.

Seller lists 2011 Rail for sale in 2013 for $250, citing some minor upgrades.

OP says "2011 Rails can be bought new for $250 now, so your marker isn't worth that much! Upgrades don't matter, they only hurt the value! That used 2011 Rail can only be worth $166! (2/3 value)"
but who says that?

What happens far too often (IMO) is that somebody needs money, and sells off a marker for far too low of a price. a few people see that price, then don't expect to pay much higher than that.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I don't agree. Paintball markers work far longer then people seem to anticipate, and are harder to actually "break" then some seem to imagine. A marker that's seen 2 "seasons" of use by someone who does not play for an active seem is likely to be in pretty good shape. In fact i've seen markers going for 300-400 less then new with less then a full season of use, no exterior ware and a full seal rebuild kit (which could keep the marker running for a long time).

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have always said an item is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it.
I believe the following:

1) - the seller is entitled to ask any price for the item
2) - I will not contact him and tell him he is crazy or stupid for asking that much
3) - I don't think YOU should contact him and tell him he is crazy or stupid
4) - If he does sell the item for the asking amount, it doesn't mean it was worth
that much, and certainly doesn't mean the next time the exact same item
comes up for sale somewheres else that it is automatically worth the same
amount !

My other passion is dune buggies and sandrails. I built my tub dune buggy myself at a cost of around $ 2600. Is it worth that much ? You tell me. But I would not sell it for less than $ 6000 so I doubt that I will ever sell it. And there is a sandrail here in town on craigslist the guy is asking 15 grand and he will probably have people fighting over it. Or not.

Whatever
dave46 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone