mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

GA's new tank.. and why I am afraid for the people who use their products

This is heavily slanted towards my views, but I feel that I must post this up for more people to see.

In short, I am told by a GA/TA rep that I (along with other fields and stores) are idiots, that physics.. is not physics, and that I should not care about the welfare of players and my customers.

NEW PRO 3K HPA Tanks Released - Page 2

For those who don't know me, I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering at Bradley University and I also run my own paintball business...

and I give a damn about players. :|
Proud Dealer of: J4 Paintball - Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+

Last edited by Deathwish_DW; 04-27-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Is the problem that GA continues to release garbage products, or that this new 3000 psi tank might be accidentally mistaken for a 4500 psi tank?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Realistically speaking.. both.
Proud Dealer of: J4 Paintball - Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yeah... I think it's a terrible idea... I mean a GA tank at all. The regs are ****, the 3k wrapped tank is just a bad idea in general, and I just hate GA
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
smells good!

i'm not an engineer, and i think i got a "C" in high school physics, but i can appreciate the potential danger of compressed gas - so here's a thought:

could the industry (manufacturer's and fields) create and adopt a new standard whereby the fill nipples (and hose fittings) would be different sizes for 4.5 and 3k? sort of like the high/low ports on an automotive AC system?

would this not eliminate the potential to fill a 3k bottle w/4.5 psi?

as far as the thread on the other site - i lose respect for manufacturer's that conduct themselves in such a manner when trying to promote a product.

WTB: Black 07 Ego Eye Covers

WTB: AGD Z-grip or Y-frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
what stimpy said
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
My butt hole hurts all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Stimps is the man! Not only does he smell his own farts, but he enjoys it at the same time.

FEEDBACK<<<<
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
could the industry (manufacturer's and fields) create and adopt a new standard whereby the fill nipples (and hose fittings) would be different sizes for 4.5 and 3k? sort of like the high/low ports on an automotive AC system?
The problem is that fields like the one I work at have a station with four output hoses, two of them usually set to 4.5k and the other two set to 3k. During tournaments, however, all four whips are set to 4.5k.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
i'm not an engineer, and i think i got a "C" in high school physics, but i can appreciate the potential danger of compressed gas - so here's a thought:

would this not eliminate the potential to fill a 3k bottle w/4.5 psi?

as far as the thread on the other site - i lose respect for manufacturer's that conduct themselves in such a manner when trying to promote a product.
I can get behind the different fill nipple idea, sadly, I don't see it ever coming to be. By the time the industry figures out and agrees on a standard, it's highly likely 4500 tanks will have gotten cheap enough that 3K tanks are obsolete. They're already about $100 cheaper than they were just 3-4 years ago.

Deathwish, I agree with you to a point on this. But to be fair, you came off pretty arrogant and hot-headed yourself from your very first post. While it disappoints me that one of the two Tib reps replied in kind, you also have to remember you're talking to a rep, not another engineer. That's like talking to the salesman about a mechanical concern on your car. Might as well talk to the wall until you're blue in the face because it'll get you to the same place every time.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

This is such a major facepalm, and the blame can be liberally spread around.

If players weren't so foolish as to care what their tank "looked like", this product wouldn't have ever been conceived.

Switching air fittings between 3k and 4.5k would not "fix" the problem. Because all people need to do is... switch them back or just flat out take one regulator, fittings and all, and stick it on another tank. I mean I can appreciate the attempt to prevent the problem, but I have little faith in its efficacy.

What I think is a better solution is to not have the 3k and the 4.5k fill stations anywhere near each other. They should be on opposite ends of the building, and you have a ref on the 4.5k side with a cane. Not a walking cane, but one you would use to beat people.

Of course, to the point, eyeballing the tanks to quickly see if they're actually fiber wrapped or not just became a little harder.

And why?

Because the players themselves are so unnaturally fixated on the aesthetics of their tanks.

I'd just as soon also have colored tanks and regulators. Blue tanks, blue regulators -- 3k. Red tanks and red regulators - 4.5k. Fast visual inspection, and if anyone violates the color scheme, that's what the cane is for.

But that would never fly. Why?

"Boo hoo I need to customize the looks of my gun."
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I don't know if I'd say the rounded ends were done for aesthetics... I mean, it could have been, but to be honest I find tanks with rounded back ends to be more comfortable to shoulder than flat-bottomed tanks. Maybe it's just because I've grown accustomed to using fiber tanks over the years but using a standard steelie now just feels... Off?

Do you suppose tank regs could ever be built with a relief (like some on-gun regs have now) that vents pressure above 3K without resorting to the burst disk? Obviously the disk would still be there as a last-ditch save, but a non-adjustable 3K relief might work.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Different nipples between 3k and 4.5k wouldn't work because sometimes fields don't have 4.5k stations running and I need to use the 3k with my 4.5k tank.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone