mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

I've been "out of it" for about two and half years now as well. The only big change I can think of is the fact that everyone is using .50 cal now... oh wait. That didn't happen either

Seriously though, even in the "massive growth" phase of the late 2010's all the new stuff that was released every year was just more milling and circuit boards with more options on them. The game is 32 years old now, and you would figure that other than new materials technology eventually things will plateau. Hockey sticks today are made of carbon fibre but they look remarkably like hockey sticks of 20 years ago.

Look at it this way; in a one on one match on a small airball field which of these would have the largest difference:

A) A player with gear from 1982 vs a player with gear from 1992
B) A player with gear from 1992 vs a player with gear from 2002
C) A player with gear from 2002 vs a player with gear from 2012

In 82, the guy has a bolt action pistol. He has a few 10 round tubes of paint on him. He may have shop goggles on if he's safety concious.
In 92 he has an Autococker. There's a bulk loader on the gun and he has pods on his back. He has real paintball goggles designed for the sport.
In 2002 he has an Angel. Still a bulk loader that can keep up with the gun and pods. His goggles are lighter and more agg. Probably a fan in them to fog up less.
In 2012 it's a Bob Long something or other. Shoots a bit faster than 2002's angel, but it also has a bulk loader of approximately the same capacity that keeps up to the gun. Loaded from pods that the guy carries on his back. His goggles are arguably more agg, but they still fog up sometimes on humid days and he has the same field of vision he has had since 2002 and they keep his eyes safe from paintballs.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I am glad to see the direction the industry is going. For a while there was nothing but a speed race, then the milling race, then the change something ANYTHING race to get teams to come out of pocket for a 1100$+ marker every year. The biggest difference for the previous several years had more to do with a few grams being shaved in dangerously thin milling.
Lately we have seen companies work on better, more affordable pumps, some decent mid level markers that rival pretty much anything going, and the big companies even held on to a design for more than a year. Markers are actually moving towards being slower again in order to be more reliable and gentler on paint.

With the economy causing people to have to shoot less and spend less on equipment, I think many of them found along the way that it made for a more enjoyable game.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
I've been "out of it" for about two and half years now as well. The only big change I can think of is the fact that everyone is using .50 cal now... oh wait. That didn't happen either
Haha. We'll be offering 50 cal within the next couple of months.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

I was out of it for almost 10 years...

I am glad to see the direction the game is taking.

I've been playing since the mid 90's and I think the biggest difference would be 92-02.

But then the last decade, we've seen tourney guns stagnate (as in prices are still $1000-1300 top end) and not that great advancements (they still shoot faster than a mofo... but roughly same weight, same size).

In addition, the 'Mid-level' markers $300-700 have come up to what most people are looking to. In my day, every newbie wanted to play tourney and get an Angel. Nowadays, many many players want to get a Mil-sim gun and a set of Fatigues. This could also have something to do with Airsoft coming up out of nowhere and taking ~40% of our Paintball Market (judging from shelf/wall space of local Paintball stores.)

I personally like where this is going.

I myself went from a Spyder to Custom 'Cocker ($1200 built myself, could have bought an Angel, but I wanted Mech...) Then got back into the game and bought a TPX, and I'm finally going to downgrade to an electro and pick up a TM7 for fun (for my girlfriend to use because my 'Cocker is too heavy for her).

My top end gear from 10 years ago still holds up just fine against the DAM's and EGO's I come up against on the field.

I think the market is heading to an area of use-full gadgets and cool military looks over an extra ball/second.

I myself love seeing so many people back into woodsball and find the tourney guys don't really move at all on the field. just stay at maximum distance and spray + pray.

I myself like to move, to me...Paintball is more of a mental chess game vs a spray+pray lottery...

I even recently starting dual wielding pistols to up my game -> Saturday [in a ~50 person game, I got 3 eliminations + 1 Surrender with pistols and using less than 35 rounds...

Bigger rush than I've had playing with my Autococker in a long time!

Anyway long story short, I don't think the sport is stagnating at all!!
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 04-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Also scarab arms with thier new milsim gun that can switch to semi or bolt action. That and the dye dam
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

that's what happens when they focus too much on agglets to switch gears when needed.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Haha. We'll be offering 50 cal within the next couple of months.
Yes, I have been following your blog. But you're always a special case
I bet you still get to use plastic scissors at Arts and Crafts time.

I need to get out there sometime soon and see how things are faring in my absence. Maybe I'll buy some .50 to keep the industry progressing forward.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

.50 cal sounded interesting for about 2 seconds... because it 'sounded cool'.

But then Logic kicked in, and I realized
Smaller Paint = Less Mass.
Less Mass = Less Kinetic Energy.
Less Kinetic Energy = Less Distance Traveled.

So wait, you want me to take my 200 ft shooting gun, and make it shoot not as far?
?

No Thank You.
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 04-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
I think this past off season had a lot of cool new products come out.
And exciting changes for psp
The nppl is dieing
Uwl is getting better every year
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
We are just getting out of the slump that was the industry since around 2004

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL