mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
These are your main choices:
GoPro Hero series
R7
Contour
Sony Action Camera

There are others out there, like Midland makes a cool camera. I will try to break these down for you.

GoPro - The standard if only because it was the first commercially available POV camera. You can get Hero2's for a pretty good price, but for the Hero3's, you specifically want the Black edition for the 720 @ 120 FPS, which can be still pricey. Mounting options abound, so you can mount it on just about anything, to use it just about anywhere. But it is a bit of an obnoxious mount, meaning that you have a box sticking out the top of your mask, or sticking out on the top of your barrel.

R7 - Good camera, and without a case, the only one that can take a hit from a paintball and keep working. And if it doesn't, then they will honor the warranty for paintball hits causing an issue. At the time that it came out, it offered all of the filming options, and isn't much bigger than a Mini Maglight flashlight. It's mounting options are a bit more limited, but at least it is more streamlined when mounted, on the side or up top, over or under a barrel. They have a specific mount that works for a number of feednecks, but I always have to wonder since it holds the camera with two arms that seem that they could break. One bad thing about this camera compared to the others, it has it's own internal battery. When it is out of juice, you have to leave it to charge up. But for more money, they do have battery packs that you can mount (Again around the same size) that will give you two to three times more recording time.

Contour - They have had a few models and haven't really changed much between them, just added to them. They make for an easy mount on the side of your mask, or even on the top. Unlike any of the others, you can rotate the lens, so if you can't line it up a perfect up and down, then mount it, and rotate the lens so that it is up and down. They can be a bit pricey, but the ROAM seems to go on special pretty regularly on places like Amazon, and they have alot of mounting kits.

Sony Action Camera - Much like the Contours, but smaller. First one to offer 720 @ 120 FPS, it comes with a case like the GoPro's for mounting. A bit more limited in it's mounting options, but it also offers image stabilization. Also, for it's cost, it is less than the others while giving you alot of filming options at $200 (No wi-fi) and $270 (wi-fi) respectively, plus places have them on sale regularly as well. Also, they make a case for it that you can put your camera into, and it will have a side LCD screen to make a small camcorder.

Midland makes a camera much is size of the Sony, but with alot of mounting options, right in the box with it. I had two of them, and they are nice. But for the price, $250, you can get the Sony for less and have more filming options, or for $20 more and get the ability to use your iPad, iPhone, iPad, or Android device to see what you are filming, change filming modes, and so on.

There are some others as well out there that I don't know enough about to comment on.

I can say that I have not used the R7 or the GoPro's. Not that there is anything wrong with any of them, just that I haven't gotten around to getting them and using them. I have been using a Contour HD for a while now, and I like it. Good picture, good audio, but when it is in the waterproof case, it is rather muffled. Why do I have it in the case? Because if it gets damaged due to paintball, it isn't covered in their warranty. I like the Sony as well, and it is becoming more and more of my main camera to use for POV stuff. The Midlands were good as well. Before the Sony came into being, I liked them quite a bit, and filmed a bit with them.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

But for a gun cam, what is good?

The audio on GoPro is terribad, not to mention the huge frontal profile, plus the clamping style mount that destroys your line of sight down the barrel.

I like how the Replay mounts to the feedneck, actually spent a bit of time holding/looking-at greg hasting's rig seeing how it was mounted and such, barely an wider than the feedneck. Video seems good, but audio is also not stellar, but better than GoPro.

Contour...could that even mount to the gun?
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Editor - Social Paintball

We are big fans of the R7 and GoPro's. We used both in this video...the gopro for the wide off the break shot, and the R7 for the shot right after, at 40 seconds. It'll give you an idea of the difference in quality etc...

Tampa Bay Damage - The 2012 Season Opener - YouTube
LawrenceAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
I think contour closed about a week ago so if your going to get one...

I have a Polorid XS 100 it was cheap when I got it $120, has 60 fps in 720 pi and 30 for 1280 and other modes and the sound its good there is a bit of an echo to it but its livable.
NOISE MAKER FINAL BATTLE CANADIAN CARNAGE 2 - YouTube

Just got to change the extension on the files to make them play with sound to .mp4. It came with a bike and helmet mount but the adhesives are not great I'd just zip tie them down instead.

Also for the choice between gun and helmet, helmet is far better for action.

Last edited by ragu; 08-24-2013 at 09:09 PM.
ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Quote:

The audio on GoPro is terribad, not to mention the huge frontal profile, plus the clamping style mount that destroys your line of sight down the barrel.

I like how the Replay mounts to the feedneck, actually spent a bit of time holding/looking-at greg hasting's rig seeing how it was mounted and such, barely an wider than the feedneck. Video seems good, but audio is also not stellar, but better than GoPro.

Simon makes a barrel mount for the gopro that is way better than the existing barrel mount.

Apache Barrel Mount -- GLOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Largest in NE

Quote:

I don't notice the clamp or the camera at all when I play. I hardly ever go out without the GoPro mounted on my barrel.That being said, I will be picking up one of the Inception clamps real soon.

Audio depends on if you have the open back door on or not. If you have the open back it will be better than the closed/waterproof back.

Nothing has changed my mind that the GoPro is the best POV camera on the market in every category except its shape which was greatly improved with the 3. I use it for Paintball, snowboarding, mounting to my car, and lots of other fun stuff.
Instagram | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
OSG Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
tom
Rec Poster

Quote:
Yes. The contour has 2 types of mount, the slide rail on either side and a standard camera screw mount on the bottom

Depending on what gun you are mounting onto, if you have tactical rails then it is easy - you can buy or customised a rail mount
If you have nothing to mount onto a handle bar mount will fit your barrel
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Just found out that the Replay XD (sold directly and by R7 paintball) has a threaded lens cap. A 37mm lens cap. What that means is that you can put on a different lens, say a 2X zoom lens. This is one of the features I've been looking for in a camera for a long time. Funny thing is that this isn't mentioned except in one video I saw on YT. The 720 version has a 720@60fps option and the price is half of the 1080 (which doesn't have 60fps unless you go to 720 anyway) so I'll be looking to pick up the 720 model shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Just found out that the Replay XD (sold directly and by R7 paintball) has a threaded lens cap. A 37mm lens cap. What that means is that you can put on a different lens, say a 2X zoom lens.
If you find that lens (and it does actually work) i'll be all over that. I never saw anything about that either, apparently not a well known fact. Now i'll be looking into that a bit...

--

As to not noticing the go-pro's huge barrel clamp, i used one at a big game last year, and was not happy with the obstruction of my view every time i went to aim. If i had an extra $50 (counting theoretical shipping) to get that new mount, and already had a GoPro, i'd be all up ons.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone