mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Why are people so opposed to returns? Haven't you ever bought the wrong thing and sent it back / took it back to the store? If you don't want to deal with an occasional refund then I have to agree, just don't sell on ebay. It's a different venue and as a seller you're treated like a business. If you don't like this mentality and can't treat stupid customers in a fair and friendly manner then yes, you're better off just not selling there.

I also don't understand how you pay anything for it. You take the return based on your return policy. Mine is set to allow returns, buyer pays shipping. So they pay to ship it back. Once you receive it and issue the refund the ebay and paypal fees are reversed. You then hit the "relist" button and carry on. The only thing you're out is time.

I'll still argue that while people say that selling on forums is so much better that I've personally had a lot higher rate of "incidents" on forums (including MCB) than on ebay.

I don't believe it is so much going through the return process as it is the unknowing of the condition of the returned part. RangerJim's gun was returned with a fresh new rugged, used look; and this one has why-u-no-have-good-threds. I'd be a little squeamish about a refund myself.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

rangerjim clearly got the short end of the stick on the deal. Still, unfortunately he lost. My advice was and will continue to be.... just do the return. You're dealing with people. Some people are stupid. Sometimes they might actually be right. Either way just take the higher road, take the return and provide exceptional customer service. Arguing with your customers is just silly to me.

In this case it seems like the OP simply doesn't want to take the return. Not sure what his return policy is but with buyer protection it's going to end up just as badly if he refuses it. So what, the buyer can't type well. If he typed a more coherent and less inflammatory response would it change the situation? Something like:

"Hey, I got the barrel and not sure what's going on but it won't thread into my gun. Sorry to have to do this but I'd like to send it back for a refund"

Nicer communication and would be better received but has absolutely no impact on how a case would be mediated and resolved. The facts are:
Buyer received item
Item didn't work as expected
Buyer requested return / refund
Even with no returns policy, the buyer is protected under the buyer protection policy
If it goes to ebay mediation, the seller will end up taking the return

I can understand people not wanting to deal with ebay or play the game. My point is that if you do play the game, know the rules and work within the system. If you sell 50 items on ebay and have to take a return on one, who cares. Just seems to be way too much drama about it on here.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum

Last edited by MaD; 04-30-2013 at 06:02 PM.
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Semper Paratus

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
obviously his 20 guns correlates to the 20 brain cells he used to write you that.
ColonelYun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

like mad said it might just be easier to give him his money back and make him pay for shipping. Otherwise he will start a case and most likely win....It might just make things go alittle smoother.
rangerjim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
after seeing what you went through rangerjim3 I would never ever sell on ebay. Hell seeing what you went through makes me weary of taking paypal as a payment method. Though from what I know if it's outside of ebay most of the buyer protection means jack and squat

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I think we need to decide what e-bay is. Is it a selling point for professional sales-people and thus subject to returns or is it an as-is / where-is auction (like the vast majority of auctions)? E-bay seems to have somehow gotten stuck in this middle land where they are neither an auction house or a conglomerate of retailers (which is basically what Amazon has devolved into).

MAD is right. He was also right in the RangerJim fiasco early on. There are very few good outcomes that can happen from refusing a return. Take it, don't stress over it, and resell it.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Ebay has without a doubt become a market where individuals are treated like stores. The policies reflect this as well as the general workings of the site. There's the whole individual store / storefront built in. Do note that other sites like Amazon, etcy and others cater to individual sellers in similar ways.

I personally don't see anything that bad about it as it has allowed individuals to start up resell businesses for no up front expense. Amazon has taken a similar path with a mix of stores and individual sellers. Add the fact that you can publish a book there directly and it's actually pretty cool. Etcy takes it even further with the whole goods you've made yourself market.

If you sell a couple things a year and get screwed then I can understand the hate. If you sell 200 things and run into one moron then I just chalk it up to life and the price of doing business.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Mind you, MaD; the buyer, spelling notwithstanding, said the threads were bad. Not that they were wrong, or anything that might suggest this is simply buyer's mistake; but bad. That part is simply our collective assumption at this point. I will also assume that if the OP was actually trying to sell this guy a turd with bad threads, he wouldn't be here talking about it.
Taking all of this into account, the buyer has made the threads "bad" (might still be usable, bad could mean anything if the buyer doesn't have an Ion threaded gun to check how bad off "bad" is.) Does this situation still hold weight in your book? When a part is returned in a state that is worse than when it was sold is it still worth accepting and moving on from? Is there a limit at all, based on price, or time, etc?

Please, keep in mind that my views are quick to jump to the seller's side in these cases thus far because I don't sell often on ebay. I'm in that boat where one bad apple makes a big deal; and I feel where these guys are coming from. Suggeting that it's no better elsewhere doesn't make any less of a weary situation; and can understand completely that they want to vent a little. Although strong opinions are stated by others; noone has asked for their side to be chosen; they are simply expressing their aggravation in an open forum.

I do admit, since writing in rangerjim's thread that I wouldn't be using Paypal/ebay much anymore, I have probably made more transactions through both than there have been day that have passed. They could probably tell you what I make on the hour if they were so inclined. It's kinda pathetic.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

There's definitely some risk that the buyer messed up the barrel and the OP will end up with scrap metal. IMHO that's a risk you have to take. The bottom line is that because of Ebay policies and buyer protection, in the end you WILL end up taking the return. So you can argue with the buyer about it until you're blue in the face but all you'll get out of it is a blue face, a lot of frustration and a negative feedback.... and your item back...hopefully intact. If it's damaged by the buyer you *should* be able to get some compensation for it but unless you have indisputable proof you are probably just SOL. If it's in much worse shape than you sent it though you should be able to prove it and be compensated.

I hate to say this but IMHO rangerjim's situation actually worked out OK... I mean... he did get the gun back mostly intact and was able to put it back on the market pretty quickly. There was another private sale that had similar circumstances. In that case it was also clearly a dumbass and buyers remorse but the outcome was much worse. I believe the seller was forced to do a refund and never got the gun back.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Regarding covering your butt with a simple "as is/no returns accepted", both on Ebay and on forums, I have to say that, anytime I see that (especially when it's bolded in bright red text), it automatically sets off my This Product Is Broken filter and I don't even consider buying it. Maybe it's just me being old-fashioned and all, but if a seller feels the need to make it THAT clear that under no circumstances, none whatsoever, will he accept a return on the product, then I assume it's because he knows it's effed up and is, to bring the whole thing back around, just covering his butt on a shady sale. If the product is quality and you are confident in that fact, there's no need to go all used car salesman on it with disclaimers and stipulations.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone