mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
They've gotten a lot better. There is no barcode. You pass through a gate and it reads the pass through your pocket. They use them for revenue sharing in Austria where individual lifts within a resort are owned by different family.
Ah dude...brilliant idea. Do you want to do some research and put together a thread. See what the field owners and other think?
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #82 (permalink)
TEAM FOOD

i like how this thread cant stop being uninformative about skiing.
thesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #83 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
i like how this thread cant stop being uninformative about skiing.
Paintball doesn't exist in a vacuum. If another sector of the entertainment industry has an idea that could apply to paintball, why not discuss it?

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #84 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Paintball doesn't exist in a vacuum. If another sector of the entertainment industry has an idea that could apply to paintball, why not discuss it?
No doubt
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #85 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
I keep on hearing the same theme of "recession affecting the industry" mentioned more then once.

I don't know if there are other members like me but I got back into paintball because I didn't have as much discretionary income for my more expensive hobbies.

I used to be huge into cars and crotch rockets. Fast forward to today after dumping obscene money into parts and traffic court, and probably using up all my "chances" I've gone back to my safer and less expensive hobbies as a teenager. Right now it's paintball, bicycles, and skating.

I saw the same thing happen with another industry, the indoor go cart tracks. I don't have any business studies but I know a ton of SCCA people that have either sold off cars or race less because they find carting more affordable. Also at the track in our area you'll find pro's from a number of different series practicing in the off season mainly because it's cheaper then to transport their cars to warm weather tracks and stay in a hotel. Oddly enough, despite these pros lapping everyone else, they are very courteous and won't spin a rookie if they get in their way.

I see some parallels here, instead of going after teens why doesn't the industry go after the real steel gun whores. Ammo prices are going up as well as gun prices. I went to a range pre recession and saw a guy blasting through .50 Beowulf AR rounds at $1.50 as fast as he could pull the trigger, I doubt there are as many people like that now.

What about going after law enforcement, not in a training sense, but as a fun way to keep in shape?

Why not market towards the original paintball audience? Big game hunters, the guys that were going overseas on trips to Africa, hiring guides, renting gear, spending thousands on custom built hunting rifles, etc. Or, more realistically, the small time hunter that can't afford a trip to the north woods anymore.

You know why brand new stock class guns cost so much? Because the originals used to cost a lot too. People that have been around the sport are used to paying that much for a marker. Where's the economics marketing towards a teenager who buys a spyder clone for $50 and aspires to own a Tippmann a5.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #86 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I keep on hearing the same theme of "recession affecting the industry" mentioned more then once.

I don't know if there are other members like me but I got back into paintball because I didn't have as much discretionary income for my more expensive hobbies.

I used to be huge into cars and crotch rockets. Fast forward to today after dumping obscene money into parts and traffic court, and probably using up all my "chances" I've gone back to my safer and less expensive hobbies as a teenager. Right now it's paintball, bicycles, and skating.

I saw the same thing happen with another industry, the indoor go cart tracks. I don't have any business studies but I know a ton of SCCA people that have either sold off cars or race less because they find carting more affordable. Also at the track in our area you'll find pro's from a number of different series practicing in the off season mainly because it's cheaper then to transport their cars to warm weather tracks and stay in a hotel. Oddly enough, despite these pros lapping everyone else, they are very courteous and won't spin a rookie if they get in their way.

I see some parallels here, instead of going after teens why doesn't the industry go after the real steel gun whores. Ammo prices are going up as well as gun prices. I went to a range pre recession and saw a guy blasting through .50 Beowulf AR rounds at $1.50 as fast as he could pull the trigger, I doubt there are as many people like that now.

What about going after law enforcement, not in a training sense, but as a fun way to keep in shape?

Why not market towards the original paintball audience? Big game hunters, the guys that were going overseas on trips to Africa, hiring guides, renting gear, spending thousands on custom built hunting rifles, etc. Or, more realistically, the small time hunter that can't afford a trip to the north woods anymore.

You know why brand new stock class guns cost so much? Because the originals used to cost a lot too. People that have been around the sport are used to paying that much for a marker. Where's the economics marketing towards a teenager who buys a spyder clone for $50 and aspires to own a Tippmann a5.
Is there any reason to believe that gun owners/hunters have anything in common with paintball players other than the fact we both use "guns"?

The gun enthusiasts and hunters I have known had no interest in the game of paintball. You might have better luck going after people in recreational outdoors sports, specifically ones that are competitive in nature.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #87 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

Intersting concepts. Why would they need done on an industry wide level rather than being implemented by a single field? (see point 1)
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #88 (permalink)
MCB Member

Oh absolutely.

I had always thought that many fields do not market well. There are entire segments they could make money from if they provided some catered services to them. Law enforcement, military, churches, schools, etc. If more fields could provide more services to those industries and target specific groups for events and specials then you could also use that as advertising and word of mouth spreads and if Jimmy Joe's Community College has regular outings then you could start the latest college fad in your area. Or if the local church group comes out they have meetings with other churches and word spreads.

Take a quick look at churches for a moment. And unless you are a church goer you may not realize how churches are structured. Most are built around regions. The churches of a certain denomination are governed by a regional director of sorts. Often times this is a few counties worth of directorship. And it progresses up until you get to a national level.

Just about every major denomination has some sort of structure like this in which there is a centralized group that that has contacts with several of the churches all at once. You do not need to go to the individual churches in the area, but find out what organization is one step up from them and offer the package to them for an outing.

Take for example the Baptist church in Bronson Florida. Sure you could go to that church and and offer them a special day at the field. And you could probably get a couple to show up. The church is about 200 members strong and you may get 5-10 tops. That is IF they passed out your information of a special day to begin with. But the Baptist church in Bronson belongs to an association of other Baptist churches that includes approximately 26 other churches of various sizes, all within driving distance. And often times that association will have events and put out information to all of the churches and that sort of information is made available to all members even if it is not announced from the pulpit. But you could target the association and offer a special day just for their association. Instead of 200 people as a target and getting maybe 10, you could be hitting 2000 people and getting 300. Yes the ratio goes up when things are sold as an event. And you want to get even more or ensure you get a ton...offer to put 10% of proceeds into their mission funds or their outreach programs. Nothing gets us church goers more willing to try something than helping people out through fun and excitement.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #89 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Intersting concepts. Why would they need done on an industry wide level rather than being implemented by a single field? (see point 1)
From a business case, to take it down to 1 field I would reach out to local law enforcement organizations and set up some type of charity event, similar to "Beat the Heat" events they do at drag stips.
Beat The Heat, Inc. - Racing For Education
Maybe set up a scenario cops and robbers game. If you have enough police officers that enjoy it you'll have their return revenue. Law enforcement used to use paintball for training back when city budgets were huge, I refuse to believe they didn't have any fun doing that.

As for gun owners and paintball players, there has to be something similar, just look at this forum. How many of us enjoy shooting real guns as much as paintball guns? How many real gun owners are here that also own paintball guns? The self protection bull**** aside, the real reason gun owners enjoy guns is because they are mechanical works of art and damn fun to shoot. Same as a paintball gun. Post flyers for league nights at gun ranges

As for hunting, this is the root of our sport, pasted from wikipedia
Quote:
In 1976, Gaines returned to New Hampshire from an African buffalo-hunting safari, and discussed with his friend Bob Gurnsey the idea of a game in which the participants would stalk each other through the woods. The concept was inspired in part by the short story The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell. In 1981, Gaines and eleven others played the first game of paintball, using Nel-Spot pistols which were intended for marking trees and livestock by ranchers. This initial game was a capture the flag style scenario. Later, Bob Gurnsey formed the National Survival Game company, which was the first firm to sell paintball equipment.[6][7]
I think if you had games tailored to more of the stock class set, limited paint in a large wooded area, you would attract more of a hunting crowd. I don't know how you could target this demographic but their is a way.

Again, the key here is league nights tailored to specific audiences from other demographics and recreational areas. If you have a few league nights during the week that are strictly adults, maybe serve beer, your going to get some converts that shed the notion paintball is a kids game played with toys. Vis a vis if you go after other youth organisations you could set up league nights with other youth. i.e. churches as said before, boy scouts, etc.

Chicago is a very activity oriented city, there are darts leagues, cornhole leagues, bowling leagues, softball leagues, dodgeball leagues, kickball leagues, volleyball leagues etc. Show up to any events area and someone has organized a league. The thing in common is none of the players may have ever played this event before but happened to drink together at a bar that was promoting it. It's why their called "beer leagues". If I had the time I would put together a paintball league, play once a month or once every other week, set up an arrangement with a field, and have a shuttle van go between the field and a bar.

Last edited by boo; 05-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #90 (permalink)
MCB Member

Oh and just for those that like a little action and since we did talk about zip lines....best of both words

Paintball Action Flick on Vimeo

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone