mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Do you think rifling works on first strikes and other questions

I have heard multiple different theories about this my personal opinion is that it does some people say that the rifling wouldn't work because the widest part of the first strike is the fins and you would just damage them but i have read that the fin dynamiter is .67 whilst the rest of it is 68.6 so that theory doesn't seem right, i think that as long as the bore match is right it should just cause it to twist a bit faster in flight which should increase accuracy.

Another thing i was thinking of what if you rotated the first strike in the breach before firing like lets say you rotated it at 1,000 or 10,000 or whatever RPM then fired it it should in theory become much more accurate right? i think i heard of someone doing something like this a while ago on regular paintballs to discredit rifling on paintball barrels saying that they rotated it at x RPM and it didn't increase accuracy but first strikes are different.
If someone could get this to work in a paintball gun it should better solidify the new sniper role that has appeared in paintball since the release of the first strike and also cap the rate of fire a bit so you have to wait a sec for the first strike to get up to a good RPM instead of just going full auto on long range targets like i bet people will do several years from now when the price for first strikes goes down.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.
crisscross1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

No worries about the spelling but, a search would've found this thread:

Punkworks Rifled and Smoothbore Barrel Testing over in the "First Strike" sub-forum.

On page four of that thread you will find high speed video of a round spinning as it leaves a LAPCO .683 Rifled Barrel.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

My untested, knee-jerk reaction is that you'd see a decrease in performance. It works that way with shotgun slugs - rifled slugs are used in smooth bores, and rifled barrels are for sabots. It just seems that the barrel rifling would interfere with the rifling on the fins of the FS round.

I haven't even clicked uv_halo's link yet, so now I'm going to go see if my thoughts were correct.

Edit: Okay, so I completely bombed that one. That's confirmation of why I research everything before I buy. "Impulse buying"... I just can't do it.

Last edited by Justus; 05-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
My untested, knee-jerk reaction is that you'd see a decrease in performance. It works that way with shotgun slugs - rifled slugs are used in smooth bores, and rifled barrels are for sabots. It just seems that the barrel rifling would interfere with the rifling on the fins of the FS round.

I haven't even clicked uv_halo's link yet, so now I'm going to go see if my thoughts were correct.

Edit: Okay, so I completely bombed that one. That's confirmation of why I research everything before I buy. "Impulse buying"... I just can't do it.
I LOL'd.

At least you didn't try to claim that spinning them the the wrong way coming out of the barrel would make them more accurate.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I wonder if a big dirty barrel would work better, give something for the fins to dig into

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

The fins aren't the widest part of the rounds. The hemisphere would catch all the dirt.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone