mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Finally Downgraded to Electro + Review. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/232933-finally-downgraded-electro-review.html)

Venarius 05-07-2013 01:08 AM

Finally Downgraded to Electro + Review.

Well it has been 18+years that I have been playing paintball.

I've had PGP's, Pro-Carbines, Model 98's, Spyders, etc. until I built my own Autococker from scratch at the turn of the millennium and got into some tourney play.. and for $1200-1300+ spent to custom build my own 'Cocker - I could have bought any electro I wanted back ~2000/01, Angels, Shockers, Intimidators, you name it!

I never wanted an electro because of
A) Style of play - I don't mind crossing streams to flank the opposing team... one time (the very reason I stayed mech ) I was crossing a thigh deep stream and fell into a hole submerging my entire Autococker + hopper for a good 10-15 seconds. Picked her back up, and she fired flawlessly for the rest of the game (3+ more eliminations + successful flank).

B) Something about shooting even the nicest Electro’s just feels bland/unrefined... Like driving an Automatic Corvette when you know how to drive stick-shift...

And now recently, I have been getting into Pistol play + dual wielding rifle/pistol to make the game that much more fun/satisfying/challenging....

But I recently got my girlfriend into the act... and I wanted to 'persuade her' to play more often, so I bought her a nice mask, and rationalized a new fun toy because it was the one of the lightest/most compact paintball guns out there for her...

So I went and bought a BT TM7 (Invert Mini in milsim garb)....

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...RX4SBZMUkDSCIg.

First Impressions:

I love how compact the TM7 is, plus it is licensed by HK to look like an MP7. This marker just looks awesome, unlike most other electro’s, which all look alike to me. (I can’t tell a Ego from a Matrix from a Mini unless I look really, really hard, and then ask the owner...) The TM7 actually stands out with it’s cool looks. :gunsfiring:

I built this marker setup to be hella fast/easy shooting + compact + light for my Girlfriend... and for myself when she doesn't play :drool:

It takes Autococker Barrels (one of the reasons I went with this over other markers) and I put an older 14" J&J Ceramic on there for accuracy. That and a new Rotor which I bought as a fun tech gadget (though unneeded) on my Autococker... the Rotor didn't fit, so I was able to rationalize buying a new gun to fit the hopper! :rolleyes: :ROTFL:

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/1528/tm7w.jpg

Anyways... I took it to the field, and...

It was very easy to go through lots of Paint. Normally, regardless of marker, I shoot ~1000 rounds a day. Suddenly this jumped up to ~1500 rounds using the Electro. And that was 'holding back'. It was EASIER to shoot, so I found myself dumping more paint, just because it felt good and was so easy to. Extra Firing modes are very fun at the range...

I've shot Angels + the like before, and I can say that the TM7's trigger is a bit 'squishy'. But still fine to play with, and I’ve heard it is 4 point adjustable, but have not felt the need to change it yet.

Size: Actually, my finely setup Autococker with same size barrel is SMALLER length than the TM7 setup… but the TM7 is much much lighter, making it that much easier to maneuver. And it was much easier to dual wield (I've been dual wielding Pistol+Rifle lately)...

For size comparison, here is the TM7 w 35ci tank vs my Aucococker with 68ci tank + same size barrels.

http://imageshack.us/a/img202/5746/20130507003858.jpg

Sound: The gun itself was about as quiet as my Autococker with same barrel, so that is good.

Battery: The battery that came with the TM7 (energizer) only lasted about 1300 rounds, so when the battery starting going dead, I switched back over to the Autococker for a few games. First time dealing with ‘running out of battery’ on any marker. But, the TM7 is a cinch to change the battery, slide back a compartment and the battery falls out into your hand.

Accuracy: the TM7’s accuracy was good, but noticeably not as accurate as my Autococker (which is more accurate because it is a heavier/more stable shooting platform + closed bolt + Autococker pixies that come stock with every Autococker :ROTFL: )

Efficiency: I used a 35ci Ninja nitro tank, and got roughly 480-500 rounds off a full fill, which is more than I EVER carry into a game, so that is fine by me.

Other thoughts:

The upper Picatinny rail is basically useless as the hopper fills that entire space.

I didn’t use the extendible stock, rather I used the Ninja tank I bought as a stock, so I left the markers stock in all the way so I could be that much more tighter into the bunkers. When I do some maintenance and open the TM7 up, I intend on removing the stock entirely.

The folding fore-grip was an awesome addition, but I found I only extended it to use as a fore-grip when in a prone position (laying down). Otherwise, I left it folded, and held onto the area as a normal rifle. The grip when folded still made for a very comfortable hand hold, my left hand would rest on the folded grip, with my fingers wrapping around the side/upper Picatinny rails. Holding it like this felt very much like holding a Battle-Rifle from Halo!

The Reg started @ 200psi (stock) but crept up to 250-270 after half a day of play. Knowing the reg was just getting ‘broken in’, I readjusted reg back down to 190-200psi, and she stayed there set for the rest of the day. Add to that I also noticed the ~1mm the ASA moves in relation to the gun (as I've read in reviews), but it’s not noticeable in play at all... only upon scrutiny.

All in all, this electro will be taking the place of my main rifle (Autococker) for the following reasons:
a) I can leave the tool kit in my car.
b) I can really unload when I actually need to.
c) I love the ‘battle-rifle’ MP7 feel/look of this gun.

My new setup…

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/8694/20130507004132.jpg

Now to the part I’m sure some scoffed at...

"WHY is an ELECTRO a DOWNGRADE?!"

I consider an electro a downgrade because the rate of fire CAN compensate for lack of other skill (in movement, stealth, AIMING).

I find that when newer players are introduced to the sport through electro’s, they tend to sit back and spray and pray.

To learn with a mech semi or Pump teaches you the value of movement and positioning that much better.

But put an electro in the hands of a seasoned paintball venarius (Cheers to Dirty Dan! Cant find original link, but here is most of it copied = Become a Paintball Predator )... and you have yourself quite the soldier.

See you on the field!

boo 05-07-2013 04:37 AM

I normally hate milsim markers but I've been kinda wanting a mini and the bullpup concept on a small marker is pretty awesome. I know based on the mini platform it would be hard to make a magfed kit for that but if they come out with a magfed version id pick one up in a second.

How is it one handed? You think you'll run a remote line with it or is it pretty balanced with the tank?

PistolRogue 05-07-2013 05:30 AM

I really liked the way my TM7 but the early solenoid issues at the time killed it for me. Best part was after the 5th or 6th time of having to run a backup gun because the solenoid stuck, and I finally caved and called their customer service, I was told I'd have to buy a new solenoid at $30 for an issue they KNEW was common to those markers. I've heard they have upgraded noids in them now but after that and another CS issue with KEE/Empire I've been soured on their brands.

If you're really looking for a low profile "flanker" gun, why not ditch the hopper and upgrade to a RipClip + Tac Cap?

monty 05-07-2013 08:10 AM

You know, with trigger discipline, you can still conserve paint. My buddies main marker is an old Mini he got cheap and he still plays hopper ball. He just likes the weight, ergonimics and trigger. He's impressed me with his self control.

Bloop 05-07-2013 05:26 PM

I remember wanting to get this as my very first marker, but went against it because I was told of their reliability issues.

Now you've tempted me again...

Spider! 05-07-2013 05:39 PM

Sometimes you don't want to conserve paint. I had a terrible time with some old paint that kept breaking in different barrels and markers last weekend. I had over half a case. We had a game where four of our best agglets decided to play back. I shot two pods at one to get him out. I think I only hit him with one ball since I was covering about a 15 foot radius without moving. That was as good a use for it as any.

Venarius 05-07-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boo (Post 2702556)
if they come out with a magfed version id pick one up in a second.

How is it one handed? You think you'll run a remote line with it or is it pretty balanced with the tank?

One handed is fine, nice and light. At first I put my 68ci tank on there and it was horrible - too long and too heavy + off balance.

As many of you know, a heavier weapon that is well balanced will actually 'feel' lighter than a off balance but lighter gun.

So I went with a small 35ci tank, and now the Center of Gravity is at the rear of the hand-grip... not perfectly centered on grip, but damn close.

One handed operation is all about a good Center of Gravity on the weapon.

I don't like remotes, tried them years ago, not my style.

And I also really really wanted a Mag feed as well, but the only real option (Milsim Electro) was the DAM, and for $1000 bucks more, I can live without the magfeed... Add to that the DAM was HEAVY compared to the TM7. [That and local store owner tells me they are getting lots of DAM issues/problems from customers...]

Quote:

. I've heard they have upgraded noids in them now but after that and another CS issue with KEE/Empire I've been soured on their brands.
Quote:

I remember wanting to get this as my very first marker, but went against it because I was told of their reliability issues.
I stay away from any First Gen run of anything (PB guns, vehicles, phones, TV's, you name it) until they 'figure out the kinks'.

I have had no problems so far, and have heard that the first gen issues are resolved. They definitely updated the board/programming as well, because I read on first gen's in 3 round burst, you could hold the trigger for a while, release and re-pull and you would still get the burst... On newer models you cant.

monty 05-08-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider! (Post 2703027)
Sometimes you don't want to conserve paint. I had a terrible time with some old paint that kept breaking in different barrels and markers last weekend. I had over half a case. We had a game where four of our best agglets decided to play back. I shot two pods at one to get him out. I think I only hit him with one ball since I was covering about a 15 foot radius without moving. That was as good a use for it as any.

That's whats great about my friends setup. He can go slow or let go depending on the type of game or group we get paired up with. I sometimes wonder if I should get a RT or something faster (I would like to stay mech just to avoid batteries altogether).

GoatBoy 05-08-2013 02:46 PM

Probably could have done without the Autococker. Or the TPX. Or the personal history. Or opinions on "downgrading" or newbs or whatever. And perhaps a few less emoticons.

The upper picatinny is not useless. It is actually a useful, functional component considering all the feed options attach directly to it (feed neck, SA-17 spring feed, Rip Clip). On that note, how do you like playing with a hopper-right marker?

Missing: chrono test, gameplay footage (you can talk about movement and aiming, but I'd just as soon watch the video), or in particular how you manage to actually hold and aim such a gun considering that very large backside, including the stock you don't even use.

Justus 05-08-2013 03:59 PM

OP, I get what you're attempting to convey with the "downgrade" thing, but it's misplaced and borderline insulting to people who prefer to use electros. When you're talking about upgrading or downgrading a piece of equipment, you're talking about the functional capability of the equipment itself, not the skill necessary to use it. Therefore, comparing two markers, the new one which functions much easier at higher rates of fire than the old one, it's considered an upgrade.

With differences in functionality like that, it could only be considered a downgrade if the equipment itself had some objective flaw making it inferior.

Most of the people I know who play pump (myself included from time to time) do so because of the extra challenge. They happily accept the fact that they're using lower-functioning equipment specifically because it increases the skill requirement to play well.

Of course, ^^ this is all logically speaking. You may have incorrectly used the term for the sole purpose of making a point or starting a discussion. At the daily lunch table I'm often known as a conversational antagonist - for the sole purpose of making people think and keeping the discussion lively - so I can understand that too.