mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Lightbulb Thinking outside the box... or over the box, or around the box!

Don't know if you have seen this or not, but this is a project I have been working on that I think is VERY cool.

I call it the MonsterSpin system. It is a new style Flatline barrel with the shroud removed, and then a tape mod so it can accept a Apex 2 tip. It shoots VERY flat, for longer than the Apex or Flatline alone. As you can use the spin of the Flatline, then a little more spin with the Apex 2. I like setting it on regular Flatline, and 4 clicks with the Apex 2. It shoot a good 25 to 30 feet further before it starts to drop. And at long range, it takes longer for it to drop. I was out shooting my pole in my yard and normally with the Apex only I can hit my pole at 4 clicks at the bottom of the pole by aiming about 20 feet up. (at 200 feet away).

But, today I was hitting about 15 feet up on the pole from 200 feet away so it was only dropping 5 feet! Crazy!

I just figured out how to mount my ZoomCam to it, so I will have footage this weekend as I am going to the Paintball Country scenario on Saturday. I can't capture the massive dive bombs with the ZoomCam as it spins the paint so hard, but I'll have my helmetcam on so you can see how it works.

Here is a video of it from a two weekends ago.
link for mobile
MonsterSpin Paintball Barrel System! Flatline PLUS Apex 2 Flattest Shots Ever + Crazy Dive Bombs! - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wJZfHn5w-c

The dive bombs available when you flip the Flatline upside down, and then go full 9 clicks with the Apex is just crazy, you can dive bomb at 60 feet (normal Apex's or Flatlines can only divebomb at about 110 feet, or further) Plus it curves the paint WAY harder, with really consistent curves so you can aim at a spot and nail it in a couple of shots.

I have been having a lot of fun messing with this system, and I haven't broken a paintball in it yet! This is a totally different way to play as players that you know are there, and duck down so you can see them but can't hit them with a regular barrel... You can nail them with the MonsterSpin!

So if you have a Flatline and Apex 2, you too can build one and try it out! You will be shocked at what this thing can do!

FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Uhhhhh
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
boo
Banned

It looks like it works awesome from those vids, it shoots surprisingly flat. I just can't get over the fact that it kinda looks like a dong, you going to add a barrel shroud of some type?
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I was thinking about that... But, it is pretty low on my priority list. I do have some ideas on a custom A-5 but I can't talk about it yet...

Here are some other videos of the MonsterSpin back when I started messing with it. I assumed it would just break paint, but it doesn't!

link for mobile
MONSTER Spin, Apex 2 + Flatline = Crazy Dive Bombs at 60 feet! - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3UWJdMdbU

And shooting flat with it.
link for mobile
MonsterSpin, Shooting Flat with the Apex 2 + Flatline - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYjg--bWGUg
Old 05-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
that is pretty cool... but MAN that will suck when you get a barrel break!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Actually, the barrel comes off with 1/4 turn, so it would take longer to dig my squeegee out of my pocket than it would to clean the barrel if I do get a break!

That is one of the reasons I like the A-5 so much, the easy on/off barrel. I don't know why other manufacturers haven't done something similar. I can take the flatline off and flip it in a second or two. I typically run a squeegee through it after every game since it is so easy to do.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Played an entire scenario with this system on Saturday. Not a single barrel break, and I was able to hit players from positions, where they could not return fire and hit me! It was VERY fun. (shooting 265fps, with Marbalizer, I bought a whole case, and only ended up shooting 500 rounds for the whole event, as I could easily hit what I was aiming at).

Only problem is, I got a new class 10 32 gig memory card for my ZoomCam, and it worked fine on Friday night when I filmed my daughters play performance, but on Saturday all the footage is on the card, but I can't open it... Or play it...

All 20 gigs worth... Arrgh!

Being able to shoot flat for a super long distance is so much fun, and a definite advantage. I didn't use the spin at all, as I didn't get into a position where it was needed for the game.

I almost got the general on the other team again... Video when I get time...
Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Although not for me... it is very cool. Nice job!
Hammer7
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Thanks! I stayed in the deep brush almost the entire day. For about 2 minutes I was in a clearing and one of the event photographers caught me reloading. So you can see what my setup looks like.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I think I am going to have some time this weekend to take out my MonsterSpin barrel and shoot it at my range.

I am planning on doing some "top paintball sniper" type shots with it. To see how it performs long range. What kind of stuff would you like to see?

I am curious how it handles really long range shots, as I have only been used it out to around 200 feet so far.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone