mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
No class

Interesting read. I already employ a lot of the tactics reviewed, especially movement using cover, But I have always struggled leading people on the run. I have always shot, constantly moving my marker trying to lead them. I think I am going to consciously try to pick my spot to "lane" like you mentioned the next time I have the opportunity. I usually play pump, so I can't throw out a stream of paint, but I'm going to try it and see if it works better for me.
One thing about the "failed" ACU cammo. Here in the more arid region of SoCal ACU is really one of the best patterns going, especially on a paintball field where there is a lot of dry brush and sun bleached bunkers that have a very gray color to them. I wouldn't rule it out so quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I'm like a paintball sex tourist. Top dollar for a good time.
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venarius View Post
I assure you it takes more effort and energy to leopard crawl a distance than to run it. There is a reason we bipeds shift to walking and running instead of crawling our whole lives... it expends less energy for distance travelled.
You're missing the time component.

It's not just about total calories burned -- it's also about how quickly you burn them.

Hitting VO2 max while running is normal.

Hitting VO2 max while stealth crawling... means something isn't right.

This is different from the tiger crawl used by tournament players in airball which is in fact done for speed. If you're talking about that, I agree.

Do you crawl for speed, or do you crawl for stealth? If you're not crawling for speed, how can that possibly tire you out faster than running for speed?

Do you really, seriously hit VO2 max while crawling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venarius View Post
Again,I suggest you go out and try to run 30 ft and then leopard crawl 30 feet yourself...
I routinely do both. On video.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
Unless your team has money on the line, how bout everybody play the game the way that works best for them and stop worrying about semantics? Paintball is fun.
crisscross1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

i should start a guide about how to be a paintball heinous

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
You're missing the time component.

It's not just about total calories burned -- it's also about how quickly you burn them.

Hitting VO2 max while running is normal.

Hitting VO2 max while stealth crawling... means something isn't right.

This is different from the tiger crawl used by tournament players in airball which is in fact done for speed. If you're talking about that, I agree.

Do you crawl for speed, or do you crawl for stealth? If you're not crawling for speed, how can that possibly tire you out faster than running for speed?

Do you really, seriously hit VO2 max while crawling?

I routinely do both. On video.
This is off topic but with a degree in exercise physiology I fear it is my responsibility to clarify and explain "VO2 max". After this we can as Venarius suggested; stop arguing the semantics of human physiology and its relation to movement and talk about paintball.

VO2 Max is a measurement used to describe how efficiently an organism in this case a person, uses oxygen while performing a movement that becomes increasingly more difficult. The test normally measures to the point of failure where a subject can no longer perform that movement. This makes VO2 max testing a useful tool in a lab setting and occasionally the performance environment for measuring an individuals fitness while performing a specific movement or series of tasks.

VO2 max is simply a measurement tool.

Your statement of hitting VO2 max while running being normal and not while crawling is simply false. You can hit VO2 max doing any activity. The average person would actually probably hit VO2 max faster crawling than running simply because crawling as a form of movement is less efficient all other variables accounted for. The muscles used to crawl aren't used for crawling as often as the muscles used for running are used to run. Mind you that is only one small variable amongst many.

Also, VO2 max doesn't measure the amount of calories burnt. It measures the maximum oxygen consumption of an individual performing a specific task. Calories burnt has nothing to do with how efficiently you use oxygen except that you burn more calories when you are less efficient.

Finally, crawling slowly can be just as hard as crawling for speed.

Don't make me go looking for peer reviewed articles...my inner nerd is waiting to make himself useful.

Venarius: While I don't necessarily agree with everything you have said I appreciate you starting a discussion about how to play. Critical discussion can only make us better right?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Unless your team has money on the line, how bout everybody play the game the way that works best for them and stop worrying about semantics? Paintball is fun.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
TEAM FOOD

vo2 max....seriously? you nerds try to ruin everything. let me put it this way, ive been active in alot of sports ive seen plenty of athletic demographics, and the physical build of paintball players as a whole is FAR from athletic. paint ballers tend to be built more like comic book collectors... you know the kinda guys that worry about vo2 max. even running during a game, you should never reach any sort of physical limit. i have a fat guy on my team, coming in at 5'10" 270lb, far from in shape, but he pulls his weight(get what i did there). but hes a good shooter, and makes sure his shots count. there is room for all types of people in this game, and i would have to agree it relates closer to chess than it does most sports.

sprinting back and forth and engaging in one on one firefights, its the worst way to play. its like trading pawns in chess, a rookie move. the only reason its effective in speedball is because your opponent is forced to do the same. if you end up in a 5 on 5 engagement, you did something wrong and the line of scrimmage is set. you actually are better off with 4 on 5 holding the line, and a 5th doing ANYTHING ELSE ON THE FIELD. he could be in a corner sipping capri sun, thats more helpful the standing by your side, increasing the number of targets in your area, and bringing more heat on your position. if your team cant hold the line slightly outnumbered, you were probably going to lose anyway.
thesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
vo2 max....seriously? you nerds try to ruin everything. let me put it this way, ive been active in alot of sports ive seen plenty of athletic demographics, and the physical build of paintball players as a whole is FAR from athletic. paint ballers tend to be built more like comic book collectors... you know the kinda guys that worry about vo2 max. even running during a game, you should never reach any sort of physical limit. i have a fat guy on my team, coming in at 5'10" 270lb, far from in shape, but he pulls his weight(get what i did there). but hes a good shooter, and makes sure his shots count. there is room for all types of people in this game, and i would have to agree it relates closer to chess than it does most sports.

sprinting back and forth and engaging in one on one firefights, its the worst way to play. its like trading pawns in chess, a rookie move. the only reason its effective in speedball is because your opponent is forced to do the same. if you end up in a 5 on 5 engagement, you did something wrong and the line of scrimmage is set. you actually are better off with 4 on 5 holding the line, and a 5th doing ANYTHING ELSE ON THE FIELD. he could be in a corner sipping capri sun, thats more helpful the standing by your side, increasing the number of targets in your area, and bringing more heat on your position. if your team cant hold the line slightly outnumbered, you were probably going to lose anyway.
Mercenario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

That was the point of my post lol. Vo2 max has no real place outside of clinical testing. And if someone is going to try and use it as the basis of an argument then atleast use it correctly. I keep forgetting that sarcasm is easily missed on the Internet. My bad. Keep on trucking bro.

Where can we buy some Capri sun up here?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone