mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
vo2 max....seriously? you nerds try to ruin everything. let me put it this way, ive been active in alot of sports ive seen plenty of athletic demographics, and the physical build of paintball players as a whole is FAR from athletic. paint ballers tend to be built more like comic book collectors... you know the kinda guys that worry about vo2 max.
sounds like you reached vo2max while reading this thread.

heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

got a PM [name left out to protect the innocent against the hecklers]...

Quote:
I've been following your posts(both the downgraded to an electro and the how to be a paintball venarius), and just wanted your thoughts here: in your opinion, what makes the appropriate marker for the venarius? Or what are qualities one would seek in a gun?
Heh, nice -and very loaded - question!

Really, any paintball maker will do. There is no ‘perfect’ marker… only opinion. That said; here are mine.

Weight – it’s a trade off, I certainly never minded my Autococker w/68ci tank, even though most complained it was heavy. The trade off is heavier = more stable shooting platform (more on that later…) vs. light setups like my newer TM7…

It sure is a lot easier to move quick with a lighter weapon, that is for sure. But even if you have the lightest weapon, it will be negated by 4+ pods bouncing on your back. I usually only carry 1 extra pod with me (if I need more than that, I’m wasting paint IMO)… sometimes if I know there will be heavier shooting engagements (small speedball fields) I might grab a 2nd pod but I like to travel light.

Sound – I prefer guns that are quieter. But like I said even quiet shots give you away so its not all that important.

I would have liked to get a spool gun as they are a hair quieter, but I couldn’t find one in a package I could rationalize [in the other post, I mentioned I was able to rationalize the TM7 cause its super light + compact to get my GF to play more].

But even a loud marker can be quieted down by a nicely ported barrel!

Back in the day they did tests that showed that the paintball only accelerates in the first 10-12 inches of an [un-ported] barrel, after that the extra small accuracy improvement is a trade off to gas efficiency and making the gun more awkward to wield.

I should also mention that that extra ‘accuracy’ from longer barrels has a ‘diminishing return of value’.

IE, a 18” barrel is not twice as accurate as a 9” barrel, but I would argue it is def a bit more accurate.

I like to use something in the vicinity of 12-16” barrels myself, with a good amount of porting.

Also, the ‘shinier’ the barrel's inside (the smoother the bore), creates less friction on the paintball (leading to less paint brakes in barrel some might argue).

Personally, I like to use one piece barrels, as I believe longer the ball travels under constant conditions, the more likely it will carry that inertia [flight path] to a more stable [predictable] degree.

IE I believe .687 paint will be more accurate through a 12” .687 barrel VS a 6” .687 insert into 6” of a .693 barrel

I have quite a few one piece barrels of varying diameters...

That said, I only believe this to be of minimal (but effective) consequence anyway.

On the ‘less variables = better shots’ note, if you have the chance to make your shooting platform more stable, do so. By this I mean if you are in a bunker where you can rest your barrel on something while shooting, do so. This creates a more stable system and stability = predictability = accuracy.

Why not mention gun color -- it doesn’t really matter a huge amount because if you’re following good rules for movement, they shouldn’t see you at all let alone your weapon, and if they know where you are, they know where your gun is too.

So if you want to rock a colorful gun, go for it.

That said, it will be easier to spot when you are on the move (remember the eye notices contrasting colors more readily). Not a big deal, but I like to think every variable, small or not is worth taking advantage of.

I like matte black guns for this reason… or maybe guns of a darker color (green, blue) . You can see my personal Autococker in my sig, and these are the two weapons I use as my mainstays [tpx has a 2” longer than stock barrel for accuracy]…

And here is my ‘spyder pistol’ that I often pull out for fun + a challenge...I run a 50 round hopper on it now as I’m usually dual wielding in close combat and changing clips/mags + 12g on both markers every few shots really takes up a lot of time on the field…

And why not cover the fun I’ve been having lately – Dual wielding.

I always wanted a reliable semi auto pistol (ive had PGP’s, PT Enforcers, etc. over the years but none quite fit the bill). More recently, I picked up a TPX. Then I thought, [though I'm a righty] why not train myself as a lefty with this weapon in hopes of dual wielding!

Long story short, it has it’s up’s and downs but it is a lot of fun!

Up’s – able to take on multiple opponents close range when you do drop the element of surprise! Sometimes, you just get lucky too… one time I was dual wielding I was firing my rifle out the one side of my bunker holding my pistol tucked into my chest, saw peripheral movement in my eyes [a guy flanking me on the other side] and shot him twice in the chest with the pistol as he came around the corner… I would have never been able to swing my rifle over in time… but these awesome moments are few and far between so…

Downs – each weapon is slightly less accurate as you have to ‘1 hand it’, even when holding the rifle tank-stock against my shoulder still. Just a factor of life.

You also have to carry a bit more weight for the second marker, but I’d rather that weight for the marker than an extra pod or two myself…

Even when not dual wielding, pistol play is fun!

It forces you to move in closer, and rely less upon shot volume (hard to do with 7 round clips + 12 grams!) and up your game.

One game most recently, I ran out of ammo (hopper+pod) on rifle (tm7) taking out 5 guys in an initial flank, and then put the rifle down and moved through a village with only my TPX taking another 4 ‘tags (including 2 ‘1 shots’ + 1 surrender).

Guy following me had helmet cam, but he’s having trouble getting me the video (too large)… that and I’m sure he’s got better things to do than put lots of extra work into something for a stranger… but if I ever do get the video, I’ll post it 

All in all, the most important thing to your setup, whatever it may be, and the biggest factor to accuracy is CONSISTENCY.

This is mostly muscle memory.

Go to the shooting range, and practice, a lot.

When I had to teach my left hand to operate the pistol well, I had to start from scratch (I’m a righty) but even your off hand can learn… and your dominant hand learns even better!

Every shot you’re taking at the range builds that muscle memory of your particular setup and it’s variables.

An experienced shooter with a Pistol w/short barrel might just be more accurate than an inexperienced shooter using a 16” barrel!

The key is consistency, and that is only achieved through repeated experience with your weapon.

Time at the shooting range (actually aiming at different hard targets - not unloading full auto) is the best way to increase your guns (IE your) accuracy.

All in all, there is no perfect setup, use what works for you, as I said, time spent with the weapon is more valuable than the weapon itself.

As for BPS, for me it isn’t a huge issue. I could pull 7-9bps (measured) on my autococker, feels about the same on the tm7, but it’s a moot point as I usually shoot in 3-5 round bursts if engaging further than 30-40 ft (unless I have multiple targets in the same area to open up on)… and when using the pistol as my primary - BPS is my last concern!

High rates of constant BPS to me is merely playing the odd's. I'd rather increase the odds by moving closer if possible. It's cheaper on the wallet too, so that works out!

And while I'm here, I'll add an addendum to the MOVEMENT section from earlier.

Slow movement is best if crossing in the open [until seen], but if you are aware of your targets line of sight, and are advancing with it blocked [via tree or something]... feel free to move as fast as you want. If you are out of their possible sight range, faster is better to enhance the surprise aspect of your attack.

Good luck, and have fun!
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 08-25-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Friendly fire paintball vid - YouTube

Here's a video of me 'stalking' targets taken by someone else (guy named Ly from Seattle who came through the area and took some video!).

I am the first guy you see in the video (green mask).

You can't see it, but I come in from the right flank and take out 4-5 guys (from ~120 degrees), clearing out the guys pinning Ly down. Doing this, I use up all my ammo on the TM7 and put it down, and go pistol only through the town.

Fast forward to 8:00 and look to the far left to see me stalking through the town briefly (only 8:00-8:02 but you can see the low stalking slow movement I'm using... it uses your thighs muscles a lot more than running, but worth it to conceal movement.

Then fast forward to 11:15-11:53 to see me up ahead, behind the a guy I shot walking out (1-balled him!). Watch me continuing to low 'stalk' the next guy (I'm to the left of ref) and I one-shot him as well!

Then at 12:12
you see me advance using trees/bunkers to block line of sight, moving forward to get last elimination of the game, a surrender!

All in all I got 9 eliminations that game... 5 in the initial flanking maneuver and then ran through the village with only my pistol taking another 4 (including 2 one-shots and the final surrender!).

Wish I had my GoPro for that game... but it was cool to see some of my stalking through the village w/pistol from another guy's perspective!

Now that I have my GoPro... I'll get some additional video from other games up from my perspective in the next weeks/months!
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 05-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

I almost had to just fast forward to the parts you were talking about.

All I really got from that video was how to crack shoot like a pro. Stay agg my friends.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

yes Ly is a good player too for sure it is always good to have someone reliable backing you up while pushing the front! It was great playing with him. Much Thanks for him posting the video! As I said I'm stoked to start getting first person video up soon as well... it'll be a few weeks though as I'm about to go canoing and camping down a river in maine for my vacation.
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 05-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
Igloo member

I like to bump up to my opponents bunker to bunker in a blaze paintball run and gun of glory forcing them down and once you get them 8-12 meters away in that wonderful zone where they are super uncomfortable..

then you snap shoot them out and pick the next guy in the line.

hop onto a speedball field for a few games, get your *** handed to you, learn why. then go back to woodsball and do the same.

I find most woods players are comfortable when shooting and being shot at from a mid distance. once you close that up they get all tense and make mistakes. capitalize on that

also, let your buddy know to keep in mind not to shove his barrel through the bunker. instead back up a bit, gives you a much better chance to react if someone goes to bunker him.

Last edited by Eskimo; 05-23-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

I agree i think most paintballers are in their comfort zone at mid distance.

Thats why I like to get up close and personal.... close enough for one shots and surrenders if possible.

Speedball is fun too... but a different flavor of combat for sure.
Hammer7
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

And here we go...

Venarius Paintball - Ep 1 - Pistol Surrender - YouTube

This is Episode 1 of my paintball footage entitled "Pistol Surrender".

It's a good example of using something to block their line of sight while you advance.

Enjoy!

More to come
Hammer7
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Ep 2 - Defending Big T's

Venarius Paintball - Ep 2 - Defending Big T's - YouTube

Venarius Paintball - Ep 2 - Defending Big T's - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Venarius Paintball - Ep 2 - Defending Big T's - YouTube&fs=1" />Venarius Paintball - Ep 2 - Defending Big T's - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Venarius Paintball - Ep 2 - Defending Big T's - YouTube

Thanks to Brian for 3rd person footage!
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 05-29-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

The Muddy Path Less Traveled

Here is Episode 5 - this is the kinda video I've been meaning to get up!

This is a narrated successful flanking maneuver using/describing a few of the tactics i described in the main article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVjqp8JQIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVjqp8JQIk
Hammer7

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone