mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Airsmith question

I've been thinking for a while that I would like to become an airsmith. Since I live in Alaska, we have a very distinct lack of talented airsmiths and I would like to help the paintballing community here by fixing people's guns and at the same time helping pay for paintballing. I have experience with all types of mechanical guns from having most gun types in my arsenal at one time or another (gun whoring comes in handy sometimes) and I often fix guns at the field.

How should I go about becoming an airsmith?

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Send a message via AIM to Rap4paintball

Fan of EMR
Take machinist corses. If your in high school, see if they have them, or a local career center has night classes. If your in collage see if you can take them on campus. And if out of collage, See if a local career center has night classes. If nothing is aviable, go to a local machine shop and ask if they do training or know of a place that does. Or you could just become an aprentice and get your journeymans card and get paid to do it.

My Feedback
Rap4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Thanks for the advice, but I meant that I wanted to start more of a gun repair shop than actually a custom gun shop. How should I go about starting a buisness to fix guns? What would be the best way to get people to know about such a buisness?

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe
Thanks for the advice, but I meant that I wanted to start more of a gun repair shop than actually a custom gun shop. How should I go about starting a buisness to fix guns? What would be the best way to get people to know about such a buisness?
Fix it and they will come. Once you get good at fixing a particular kind of marker, volunteer to do a few free labor plus parts. People will be come out of the woodwork. Thopugh I would recomend breaking ( practicing) your own stuff first, for a while. People tend to get pissed if someone else breaks thier toys.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Spend time at your local field as much as you can, and bring your well stocked tool box. I recommend hanging out by the chrono station. You will find your services in demand there. Soon, you'll get a chance to dive into the guts of almost every popular marker out there.

At the field I usually do repairs for paint, and most people are quite willing to let go of 100 rounds for you to get their Autococker shooting well before the next game (which usually means turning the bolt back rightside up).
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Read up on how to tune up guns... Start by specializing in a few of them, etc. Know how to upgrade, add on... etc.

How to add eyes and e-frames to autocockers, etc.

How to get more efficiency from 12 gram guns...

Don't just repair, but market as someone who can tune up too. And as the others said... People will come. Put something in your sigs saying Repair and Tune up Services
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

The local field owner just recently noticed my 'talent' in fixing markers, and hired me to fix markers for him at whatever wage i felt is reasonable, best thing is, i can work on them at home, and the majority of markers around here are spyders (clones) and tippmanns.
Talk to your field owner and see if he needs rentals fixed, and tell people that you can (if you can) fix thier markers. You will always find a large number of tard-smiths out there that effed up thier markers.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gun Hoarder

Send a message via AIM to pwpaintball

I get this question at my store all the time.
Definitely go to your local field and spend some time there. When people are working on there gun, ask questions and watch what they are doing. This way you can find out what to do (and some times more valuable what NOT to do)
If there is a common gun in your area that you don’t know how it works get it and play around with it. This way if you break it you will pay to fix your gun. Read read and read it again. There is alot of info on the net about guns this will help you avoid mistakes.
One final thing if it does not go DON’T force it! There is some thing wrong.
My Sale

My Feedback
pwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone