mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I have no regrets purchasing the Black Magic. It was a marker I've always liked, and now that I could actually afford it, I jumped on it. I think a ZeroB board would do WONDERS for that marker. Maybe I can nab one for cheap while the market is low.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
I don't know how the cockers ever took off in the first place. Lets face it, in the mid nineties it was a $400 gun that didn't work well out of the box. Sick amounts of money had to be spent to make them nice, reliable shooters. I was very disapointed when I upgraded from my Tippmann Pro-Am to Bud Orr's Autococker.

On the other hand, I now own six and continue to haunt ebay for deals on old cockers.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Mr. Furious; 10-01-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I've always compared 'cockers to muscle cars. They are outdated technology, heavy, hard to handle, most are kinda slow stock, can be a money pit and by today's standards don't make a lot of sense to own, but they look danged good, are really collectable and fun to tinker with. Also similar to muscle cars, with some restoration and regular upkeep, they are capable of surprising performance.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
I don't know how the cockers ever took off in the first place.
I remember when they first came out, they were VERY unpopular. The only people who bought them were people who had Snipers.

Most of the problem was that fact that players had the "Grab and Play" attitude. The though of having to adjust the regulator between games, plus trigger/3way/sear timing, co2 "lockups", and paint rolling out the barrel. How cockers worked seemed like a mystery to a lot of us, and looked like a major headache.

Back then, the automag was king. Everyone loved them since they seemed so simple, and problem free. Gradually though, automags started showing some long-term problems (spikes, shootdowns, nubbies, chops, orings,orings,orings). Around the same time, PaintCheck magazine ran a series of articles explaning how autocockers worked, and how to get the best out of them.

I think it was a combination of the mags problems, and that paintcheck article that really turned the tide for Autocockers.
Plus, the HEAVILY modular design of the cocker, and the total lack of patents, meant a very vibrant aftermarket could flourish.
WGP worked very hard to create the myth of "closed bolt" guns, and the rest was history until the late 90s, when the Angel took over as the #1 gun.

I personally never liked them. But I'm tempted right now. Heck, they are selling CHEAPER THEN SPYDERS!

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

$69.99 Trilogy
WGP Trilogy Competition Autococker Paintball Gun at Paintball-Online.com

EL Gringo's Feedback
Buy my Black Phoon
El Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ya wanna know what sucks about all this?!?!
I cannot order a tactical trilogy and have it shipped to my house in Canada !!!!
They ship to US addresses only!!!
I have wanted a tactical trilogy for years, preferably in olive, but black will do...

So, if anyone is willing and able to assist a fellow paintballer out, please PM me.
Thanks!

My Feedback
lonegunmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Send a message via AIM to PJ

Please edify this non-Cocker guy - out of all the ones on sale for low ching-wa now, which is the best out of the box? My nephew has been thinking about upgrading to a semi from pump (yep, I taught him right!) and these look like they may fit the bill. However, he's a play and forget kind of kid. Thanks!

AIM: PJDarknight
CPPA #1145 / PPIG #496 / LPPC #103 / POG #1047 / Team Rogue Cell #7
PJ's Gallery on MCB
Feedback on MCB
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Please edify this non-Cocker guy - out of all the ones on sale for low ching-wa now, which is the best out of the box? My nephew has been thinking about upgrading to a semi from pump (yep, I taught him right!) and these look like they may fit the bill. However, he's a play and forget kind of kid. Thanks!
The '04 prostock is by far the best deal and most capable mech cocker for the price. They can be had for $90 new at action village or in the neighborhood of $70 to $80 shipped from action village's auctions on ebay. But the ones on ebay are listed as "refurbs" so I'm not sure what you'll get. Some feedback was reporting a brand new marker instead of a refurb but you won't be sure until you open the box.

But the most smokin' deal on the planet is the Superstock electro's that are going between $130 and $150 shipped from the same place.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegunmen View Post
Ya wanna know what sucks about all this?!?!
I cannot order a tactical trilogy and have it shipped to my house in Canada !!!!
They ship to US addresses only!!!
I have wanted a tactical trilogy for years, preferably in olive, but black will do...

So, if anyone is willing and able to assist a fellow paintballer out, please PM me.
Thanks!
I tried to explain to them ad nauseum that I had a US address for shipments and they didn't care.

Although I've heard that if you can use a US delivery point they'll ship to it if you buy directly through the store. Price is a little higher than some of their ebay deals but it's still a crazy good deal.

PJ, if he's looking for a mech then the 04 Prostocks are the weapon of choice. If he's wanting to go electro then the Superstocks are crazy good deals. But I've heard enough little issues about the SF triggers that if he want's an electro then I'd suggest getting a Promaster in some flavour or other instead of an SF electro triggered cocker.

None of these are really a "play and forget" sort of device. But once a mechanical cocker is setup and all the screws loctited and provided you keep some oil in the works they can be reliable shooters for easily a season of serious playing.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GetBunkerD Send a message via MSN to GetBunkerD

damn it I wish I had the extra cash for this.
GetBunkerD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone