mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Simon had said in the past that using the HALO as a base, you could get 100 balls, but it would still only be about 2/3 of the full HALO. That tradeoff made for a tough sell when the guts can't really be changed aside from being rearranged. At least it is a short term solution.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Seriosly if you want something different, make your own.. Hack and slash what simon did and post it up on the site to share. or start from scratch and make your own and share it.

There also isnt any reason you couldnt modify the raceway to be lower profile and or smaller to make you own smaller hopper. then you could just print that as well.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
The funny part is that the part that actually hold the paintballs is smaller than the one that holds the guts.

I wonder how much would it cost to have it milled in aluminum, instead of printed in plastic. That would be the sturdiest loader ever.

I still want one badly but it's hard to justify the cost for having one off printed, though, especially when you don't have access to a 3D printer.
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
You could maybe reduce the side by printing the current housing for the internal within the current shell. Instead of having something that wrap over it.
PaintballGear / Ansgear
Feedback
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro7976 View Post
Yeah that's the plan. I want to play with it this summer and see if I can develop a relationship with her. Good luck with your sale man.
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
Post Whore

here is a quick test of a inception shell I printed in PLA...it didn't go so well but I think I identified the problem in the build program.
I want to stress that's the design is fine and this has nothing to do with that. This just a test of my print strength and plastic used.
http://youtu.be/DRvrCaFAXWw
Visit my new group page at http://www.facebook.com/JonesGunWorks#!/JonesGunWorks
http://www.youtube.com/user/Legion99999?feature=mhee
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

CCM Fan
are the files ready to print 100%? I have a friend with a 3d printer and own a halo...

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
are the files ready to print 100%? I have a friend with a 3d printer and own a halo...
From what I've seen, no. For the shells, there are overhanging parts that need to be supported. Some slicing software can build in supports. The battery door is not really printable as there is no flat side to start the print and the clasps are going to be fragile unless printed with the layers in the correct orientation. Again, maybe the slicing software can build in supports. Your results may vary.

The parts are definitely designed with injection molding in mind. All surfaces are drafted so the part will come out of a mold. This is unnecessary with 3D printing. But things like having a starting surface and avoiding overhanging and unsupported parts, design features that are important for 3D printing, are not considered.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
From what I've seen, no. For the shells, there are overhanging parts that need to be supported. Some slicing software can build in supports. The battery door is not really printable as there is no flat side to start the print and the clasps are going to be fragile unless printed with the layers in the correct orientation. Again, maybe the slicing software can build in supports. Your results may vary.

The parts are definitely designed with injection molding in mind. All surfaces are drafted so the part will come out of a mold. This is unnecessary with 3D printing. But things like having a starting surface and avoiding overhanging and unsupported parts, design features that are important for 3D printing, are not considered.
Why on earth would anyone actually design something for 3d printing? Unless of course you were printing rep rap parts. They are meant for rapid prototyping not rapid manufacturing.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Plenty of reasons/factors:

-So people can make the item themselves. 3D printers are often more common and available than injection molding machines or milling machines. More people have a 3D printer in their house.
-Strength required. If the strength requirements are somewhat low, then a 3D printer can be a suitable method of manufacturing.
-Limited production/customizable. Having a mold made for injection molding isn't cheap. You have to sell thousands of units to break even. Changing a mold to adjust a design for personal customization isn't feasible. Machine shop time is expensive too, and again, quantity brings the unit price down. 3D printed objects have roughly the same unit cost if you are making 1 or 100. Editing the CAD file to customize a design is insignifacant.

3D printing can't do everything. But for low-strength, limited quantity, open-source, at-home makability, it's hard to beat a 3D printer.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
so i downloaded the files....

they are .stl's

and for whatever reason i cant dimension the hopper

anybody know the actual dimensions for the print area? i have a printer locally that is 6" cube.... but i have a feeling this might be a little longer than that....
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone