mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Vagabond

He apologized, you apologized and if he was sincere in the apology leave it at that.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I don't think you uploading the video will matter one way or another unless you have a purpose in mind.

What is your purpose?

Are you looking for attention?

Are you looking for a pat on the back?

Are you looking to provide constructive feedback to the field?

Are you looking to shame the player?

Are you looking to open a dialogue amongst players on how to handle certain situations?

You're asking our opinion on something for which you have given little-to-no purpose, after working through more than a page of your writing.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Uploading the video is all on you. I think it's fine that he at least apologized, since while still stupid, could've really thought his own team was shooting at him (you did say there were a large number around somewhere).

I hear worse at my field sometimes. I'll hear people in the deadbox talking to people they went there with. "This guy in the X shirt/pants/mask" thinks he's so tough." His friend will follow with a, "We should jump him in the parking lot. That'll teach him".

I've heard this talk, and this specific conversation a couple times. Of course I know they won't jump them. They never do. But seriously, what the ****? Usually the reason is, "Oh My God, I called out and got shot a few more times". Honestly whether they were overshot a couple times or not doesn't matter to me (I honestly believe they were probably cheaters/didn't put their guns up so got shot a few more time).

This behavior is just plain idiotic. If anything goes over the edge, I let me field owner/refs know. A whole team was either thrown out, or could only play by themselves because of how toxic they were. They were just all horrible people.

If there's a problem, tell the refs/owners. In this case the guy did own up, but it's still annoying to have dealt with.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
And this type of behavior (both yours and his) is why I play stock-class exclusively. I never have to deal with any of this nonsense. Ever.

As far as the video goes... I don't see the point of uploading it. He apologized. You apologized. It's over. As you point out, the only thing uploading the video will accomplish at this point will be to give the sport of paintball an even worse reputation than it already has with the public.

Post up something positive, like players displaying good sportsmanship. This world and the sport need more positive messages.
+1
Hammer7
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

I'm on the fence with this one. If it was a problem with the field, like a ref misbehaving, and the management didn't do anything, I'd post it as a warning to other players. If the guy hadn't apologized, there's a case to post it as a "hey, this guy's a/an <insert expletive of choice>". That does show the game in a negative light, though, so there's that. Did you get the apology on video, by chance? Because then you could show the whole thing, group hug, touchy feely, hurray sportsmanship. But if it doesn't serve some purpose other than "this guy was kind of a jerk, but only kind of," probably best to pass on it.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
I don't think you uploading the video will matter one way or another unless you have a purpose in mind.

What is your purpose?

Are you looking for attention?

Are you looking for a pat on the back?

Are you looking to provide constructive feedback to the field?

Are you looking to shame the player?

Are you looking to open a dialogue amongst players on how to handle certain situations?

You're asking our opinion on something for which you have given little-to-no purpose, after working through more than a page of your writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Anyway, should I post this behavior on my youtube channel, or not?

The only reason I can think of to post it, is to get a discussion going about how we behave when playing, and how to improve that behavior.
I thought he was pretty clear, and that his only reason for uploading it would be to discuss it rather than simply sweep it under the rug. I also didn't have a problem reading the entire original post, even if it was more than just a few lines.

And that said, FE I have to agree with Slim - discussing it has already been accomplished, via your first post in this thread. That's a purpose of forums. YouTube won't be the right medium to have any good discussions, as the comments tend to be a lot of one-liners and lacking depth due to brevity, so it will likely do more harm than good to post the video.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Made To

CCM Fan
I say post it so we can laugh at someone taking a game way too seriously.

Boston Creepers
MCB Feedback
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Truth is truth, put it out there and don't sugarcoat it. Everything will be fine.

WANT TO BUY: 4 oz Co2 tanks--- NSG Splatmasters.....Smart Parts 14" All-American phantom barrel.....PM me.

Tyrion: " Let me give you some advice, bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."
jollychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Sometimes I'll flip out at some severe overshooting, however, I never play woodsball.

There were two occasions that I threw my gun since I was so pissed, one was a year ago one was yesterday, both caused by the same kid. He shoots until he sees an arm, but sometimes that arm isn't going to drop a marker to raise it faster than instantly, leading to some pretty serious overshooting. For instance, 26 shots from 20 feet away. Apparently that's justified in the fact that I had my arms squeezed to my head instead of up to signify that I was out. Then what happened yesterday was me getting out of snake, arm up, obvious I was out, he stuck his head out and stared at me for a good second and shot me again 7 times when I was already walking off the field, again justified because he apparently couldn't see the flag of an arm my 6'2" body was holding straight as a stick in the air.

The thing is, there will be people who just always cause problems and there are people that always get mad. From the point of someone who has been on the receiving end of problems I tend to assume the worst of overshootings at anything other than a tournament. If you shoot me 7 times from less than 30 feet away when you have a clear shot, I'll be pissed.

I can see why he was mad, and unless it's obvious that you were red I can see why he was angry that your might be committing friendly fire, however, his reaction to it was nowhere near justified. If you have the video, put it on YouTube as unlisted and save it as an example for a lesson you'll type out. No public idiots on YouTube and you get to put your example out there.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
I'm on the fence with this one. If it was a problem with the field, like a ref misbehaving, and the management didn't do anything, I'd post it as a warning to other players. If the guy hadn't apologized, there's a case to post it as a "hey, this guy's a/an <insert expletive of choice>". That does show the game in a negative light, though, so there's that. Did you get the apology on video, by chance? Because then you could show the whole thing, group hug, touchy feely, hurray sportsmanship. But if it doesn't serve some purpose other than "this guy was kind of a jerk, but only kind of," probably best to pass on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I would upload it. And then email it to the field or post it on their Facebook page. I would tell them that in the end, neither of you had the right attitudes but apologized in the end. However, they need to inform players that friendly fire or not, if you are hit, you are out and to just leave it at that.
Most likely, it is his own field. If so, then I am quite sure that he is aware of the issue, LOL.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone