mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

I rather liked the idea of deducing points for bad sportsmanship, but that would really only be applicable in tournaments or scenarios where points are important. The refs can keep up with who they have tagged as far as teams by simply seeing what team the player is on.

It would get far to complex to have to keep up with individual status for just a ref. If everyone had a number and all the refs had radios to call back to a centralized scoring place then maybe...but that gets to be a lot of overhead. Doable but headache.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #32 (permalink)

I had a similar incident a couple of years ago, went wide along the tape and got a bit behind them. There was a guy in a hoodie about 120ft away, i could see him whole side and fire a few at him, atleast one hit. He turned to me and yells "I'm yellow". He doesn't call himself out so assuming they bounced, I fire a few more. He again replies "I'm ****ing yellow", so I fire a a few more at him and finally he puts his gun up. He comes up to me yelling "you want to fight...I will **** you up". I finally stand up from the cover yelling that "you are out and needs to get off the the field. He finally backed down, I guess he didn't realize I was bigger than him. Didn't see him again that day, I think he left after getting back to the deadzone.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I recall a game at Excalibur. It was late in the day and everyone was a bit tired and not really paying attention. I walk down the path towards the castle and find two blue players firing towards a group of red players down the path from foxholes. The blue team controls the castle and these red players are between the castle and the blue players in the holes. I eliminate the blue players and walk towards the castle. The red players who had been pinned sprint off and draw the fire from the castle. I stop next to a ref who looks at my armband and tells me all those players up there are blue (we are standing pretty much in the open on the center of the path). The look on his face when I told him I know and opened fire.... PRICELESS. We both got lit up but I eliminated a LOT of the other players who had been milling around in front of the castle

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

The red/white band thing is similar to what they did at DDay OK last year with the honor tags.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
The red/white band thing is similar to what they did at DDay OK last year with the honor tags.

Did it work well?
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
^ I've done this by mistake before, but not from as close. That's lack of trigger control and the major downside of electros and especially ramping modes. I was on the receiving end of such an event myself this past weekend. Guy hit me on the first ball, but he already had eight more in the air by the time the first one hit. While unpleasant and avoidable, I don't necessarily think malice is part of the equation. Of course, every incident is its own. This doesn't tick me off nearly as much as hearing about a guy that unloads a whole hopper on a kid just because he can.
It's not 'unpleasant and avoidable' so much as utterly unsafe and a serious problem with how the game's being played.

You're holding a device that throws ~300 fps balls of paint, that can easily take out an eye. Not being 100% able to control when it goes off is a monsterous safety hazard, especially given how easy it is for someone to slip wrong and lose their goggles.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
TOTAL GREIF

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
It's not 'unpleasant and avoidable' so much as utterly unsafe and a serious problem with how the game's being played.

You're holding a device that throws ~300 fps balls of paint, that can easily take out an eye. Not being 100% able to control when it goes off is a monsterous safety hazard, especially given how easy it is for someone to slip wrong and lose their goggles.
This is a problem that most don't realize they are responsible for. These young kids these days pick up electros and just sling paint. Most don't even look at it like from this prospective...
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepulkinator View Post
This is a problem that most don't realize they are responsible for. These young kids these days pick up electros and just sling paint. Most don't even look at it like from this prospective...
I think you have to take a shot that hurts you before you realize how serious paintball is. Either a tender area, or one that breaks badly and leaves you bleeding.

Of course, the same people just slinging paint are most likely to be wearing padded outfits to reduce any felt sting from getting hit, so the perception of danger is even less.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #39 (permalink)

I've been shot in the stomach by a guy who failed to chrono in his 98. It was shooting darn near 500 fps. Left a nasty bleeding welt that did not fade entirely until four whole months had passed. I've also seen images of people whose eyes have been hit by paintballs. I'm pretty sure I know all about how "unsafe" a paintball can be.

However, if everyone is chronoed in to 300fps or lower, which is the speed at which the masks are rated to handle, and are wearing said masks, I don't really see anything unsafe here. I never once suggested that people intentionally bonus ball each other, but if you are shooting off a rope and someone walks into it... they're going to get lit the heck up.

If our sport was so unsafe, many more people would be hurt on a regular basis, by paintballs, and hardly any local field would be able to operate simply due to costs of insurance.

Instead, data shows that you're more likely to sprain an ankle or fall and hurt yourself than be actually injured by a paintball, provided that everyone chronoes in and wears a mask. Sure, sometimes you welt up, but I'd hardly call that lasting permanent damage.
BlueTrane2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
I've been shot in the stomach by a guy who failed to chrono in his 98. It was shooting darn near 500 fps. Left a nasty bleeding welt that did not fade entirely until four whole months had passed. I've also seen images of people whose eyes have been hit by paintballs. I'm pretty sure I know all about how "unsafe" a paintball can be.

However, if everyone is chronoed in to 300fps or lower, which is the speed at which the masks are rated to handle, and are wearing said masks, I don't really see anything unsafe here. I never once suggested that people intentionally bonus ball each other, but if you are shooting off a rope and someone walks into it... they're going to get lit the heck up.

If our sport was so unsafe, many more people would be hurt on a regular basis, by paintballs, and hardly any local field would be able to operate simply due to costs of insurance.

Instead, data shows that you're more likely to sprain an ankle or fall and hurt yourself than be actually injured by a paintball, provided that everyone chronoes in and wears a mask. Sure, sometimes you welt up, but I'd hardly call that lasting permanent damage.
I always thought it was amusing that the people who benefit the most for the "fast" style of play, close play, and run throughs (the paint manufacturers) are also seemingly the only people to even attempt to isolate themselves from liability. I am betting we have all seen, and likely ignored, the warnings about distances on the side of the box.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone