mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I will be taking my daughter with me to a few paintball games this year. They may be pump and pistol days at Hell's Survivors depending on how the weekends fall. They may be at the local field. They will not be big games. They most certainly will not be tournaments.

The point is I have to be careful where I bring people to play with me because the behavior is often so far out of hand and one or two jerks can really destroy a field.

And we are willing to dismiss it? Do you wonder why paintball cannot grow if new players have to be sheltered or simply avoid it?
Paintball doesn't grow because of the extreme expense associated with it. The high cost is more of a barrier to entry than anything else. Sure, some people get hit a few times and quit, but were those people in it for more than one or two rental games? Sure there will be jerks that will cause people to quit, but that is present in any hobby.

Going out and playing a game of rec ball is like going to a high school band concert. It is easy and safe for everyone. Playing in a big game is like going to a heavy metal music festival. It isn't for everyone, but some people thoroughly enjoy going and jumping into the mosh pit. Tournament ball is like an over the top rave. Things happen fast and only a small subset will ever truly enjoy it.
mastercoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #52 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercoo View Post
Paintball doesn't grow because of the extreme expense associated with it. The high cost is more of a barrier to entry than anything else. Sure, some people get hit a few times and quit, but were those people in it for more than one or two rental games? Sure there will be jerks that will cause people to quit, but that is present in any hobby.

Going out and playing a game of rec ball is like going to a high school band concert. It is easy and safe for everyone. Playing in a big game is like going to a heavy metal music festival. It isn't for everyone, but some people thoroughly enjoy going and jumping into the mosh pit. Tournament ball is like an over the top rave. Things happen fast and only a small subset will ever truly enjoy it.
Extreme expense? Compared to what? I understand that paintball is not free but it is in line with many other hobby activities.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #53 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercoo View Post
It is a part of BIG GAMES. Things get crazy, people get overshot. It happens when you have 1000+ people on the field. I use a pump for rec play and try to one ball people as often as possible. I teach the younger rec players with electros to play on semi and shoot less on a snap so everyone gets to have a good time without being overshot. Now when I hit the field for a big game with dozens of people shooting at me, you bet I have my electro on 12 BPS ramp and hose. Big games are not the same as rec play.
Getting overshot because there are a hundred people shooting at you is an expected and acceptable thing.

Getting overshot because one or more of those hundred are douchehat agglets who won't let off their trigger until even after you're on the ground bleeding is an entirely different concept, and one that should not be tolerated.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #54 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

There was an incident long ago at Tombstone in SoCal where a young kid got lit up in a circle around his head at close quarters

the idjit that did it got what he deserved - not only did the kid's dad call the cops on him and file an assault charge - the idjit took one at point blank to the top of his spine next game up.

getting overshot when 20 folks are tossing paint from all angles and ranges - that is a crap happens ball in the air kind of deal - sometimes you gotta stay tight to cover and holler out that yer hit for a bit then go - is what it is.....

getting overshot when the hits can be seen and the poor person being shot is crying in pain and fear - thats just someone being stupid - the person who does something like that for no good cause needs to simply be removed. period.

many people use different excuses for why they overshot someone - some are reasonable others are not - those who are not should be warned then punished. I suggest taking it to field management and let them deal with it - but I miss the ooooold days - when if you did something at that magnitude of dumb they had you walk past the line of everyone there and its up to each person where and how many times they want to shoot you on the walk of shame.

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Christian Baller

CCM Fan
As long as all guns are chronoed under the field’s speed limit and everyone is wearing the appropriate protective wear (ie Masks/goggles) it is not unsafe. The most a paintball is going to do is cut the skin, and leave a scar (VERY rarely).

But I believe that it is common courtesy to not overshoot in REC BALL. Big Games and competitive speedball is a little different. I’m not saying that you should do it but you have got to expect it to happen sometimes. Even in rec. If you do overshoot someone then you better go apologize. I know it does hurt sometimes (especially for younger/first time players) but it has to be expected. It’s a rough sport so you have to prepare for it. I think most of the problem is what happens when I kid gets overshot. IMHO you should be doing everything in your power to try to correct the wrong (even if it was not you who pulled the trigger). Otherwise they most likely will never be back to the sport. The problem is when a kid is balling his eyes out and never wants to play again because of an accident.
AnimalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #56 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
So recently I was playing at a local field, and deep in the woods, sneaking towards the other teams headquarters.

I was getting close, and was in thick brush when I heard players from the other team behind me get into a firefight. I stayed still, and saw movement in front of me.

Two players were deep in the creek in front of me, crossing past me. I had a very clear shot on both of them (they were only about 20-30 feet away), but I didn't want to fire at them, as it would give away my position, and the group behind me was quite large by the sound of them...

I had already crouched before I saw them, so I waited, with my gun aiming at them, as they passed bye.

The first guy didn't notice me, but the second guy looked right at me, so I shot him. Then swung and shot the guy in front.

To which he didn't call out, so I shot him again, and he started screaming at me about how I was on his team...

(he was blue, I was red). I didn't say anything, and shot him again, and this time he called out.

So I stopped firing.

Which should have been the end of it, but it wasn't. He proceeded to cuss me out, flip me the bird, and scream about what an idiot I was for shooting him when we were both blue...

I was sitting there thinking... "SHUT UP, you are giving away my position... and there are TONS of blue players RIGHT behind me...".

I yelled over him to "shut up" and "Dead men don't talk".

But, it didn't stop him, he just kept yelling. So I shot him in the head. Then said, "you're out... LEAVE".

Then he blew his stack even worse and charged up the hill towards me...

I don't like bullies. And I don't back down to their stupidity, and if this guy wanted some action, I could easily put him on his back, and help him realize the error in his ways. So as soon as he got into my personal space, I moved towards him, and stood up and we were face to face...

I guess he thought I would cower at his madness or something. His eyes were quite surprised when I quickly closed the gap between us.

He backed down, and fussed some more, as he stormed off. While his friend just shook his head in shame and walked past.

My old personality came out, and I said loudly "I thought so"... And watched him crash through the woods toward the large group of his players right past the brush I was hiding in.

Then I disappeared down into the ravine, and went on my way.

At the lunch break, the temper guy came up and apologized to me (don't know if he did it because he saw the red glow from my helmet cam recording his entire tantrum, or if it was sincere, I assume it was sincere... and I apologized for antagonizing him)

But.

I really don't like playing in public... Way to many people just itching to start something. I literally have a firefight on audio that I heard earlier where a kid starts screaming after being hit, and the guy that shot him just doesn't stop, he keeps firing and firing, and firing... full speedball shooting as fast as he can... Everyone is yelling at him to stop but he doesn't. And finally everyone is screaming at him, and he stops. And I can still hear that kid screaming in pain, and crying as his dad tries to comfort him. His wailing goes on for minutes, until it fades away as his dad takes him home...

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

I see bad behavior all the time at large scenarios. You know, you shoot a guy, and watch it break on him, and he keeps playing and swings on you. So you shoot him again, and again, and again, and he never calls out, until he finally hits you... While he is covered in your paint.

What is the point of our game, when public playing is like this? I rarely play in public, so I am used to shooting a guy once, you see it break, you both know that the other guy is out. But, in public, you have to light up the other player to get him to call out.

It is poor sportsmanship and clearly people just doing everything they can to bend the rules of the game.

Anyway, should I post this behavior on my youtube channel, or not?

The only reason I can think of to post it, is to get a discussion going about how we behave when playing, and how to improve that behavior.

The negatives of posting it are many... it shows the sport in a bad light. It points out bad behavior in a way that almost "promotes it" as it would be sure to be a popular video. It isn't "fun" which is why I started filming stuff.

Anyway, I thought I would ask you guys to get your opinion before I did anything...

Upload it, it's hard to give advice without seeing the actual altercation. Though, you did cross the line shooting him after he had called himself out regardless of his actions, it wasn't the appropriate response IMO.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.

Last edited by Deuce; 05-23-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
MCB Member

Deuce,
Thanks for getting back to the OPs question.
I read this whole post and I can't believe that nobody suggested that you should have shown your arm band. If the kid had seen your arm band he would have realized that you were on opposite teams and would have probably shut his mouth at that point avoiding all the other nonsense.
It is true that he should have been out even from "friendly fire" which I mention at all orientations, but he would have stopped if he had known it wasn't friendly fire.

end of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
I read this whole post and I can't believe that nobody suggested that you should have shown your arm band. If the kid had seen your arm band he would have realized that you were on opposite teams and would have probably shut his mouth at that point avoiding all the other nonsense.
It generally doesn't work that way, these types of people are irrational when they are in a rage.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
Deuce,
Thanks for getting back to the OPs question.
It is true that he should have been out even from "friendly fire" which I mention at all orientations, but he would have stopped if he had known it wasn't friendly fire.

end of issue.
nah he'll find something else. "why don't you wear it more prominently!?" etc
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #60 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalX View Post
As long as all guns are chronoed under the fieldís speed limit and everyone is wearing the appropriate protective wear (ie Masks/goggles) it is not unsafe. The most a paintball is going to do is cut the skin, and leave a scar (VERY rarely).

But I believe that it is common courtesy to not overshoot in REC BALL. Big Games and competitive speedball is a little different. Iím not saying that you should do it but you have got to expect it to happen sometimes. Even in rec. If you do overshoot someone then you better go apologize. I know it does hurt sometimes (especially for younger/first time players) but it has to be expected. Itís a rough sport so you have to prepare for it. I think most of the problem is what happens when I kid gets overshot. IMHO you should be doing everything in your power to try to correct the wrong (even if it was not you who pulled the trigger). Otherwise they most likely will never be back to the sport. The problem is when a kid is balling his eyes out and never wants to play again because of an accident.
Not if they get shot in the temple. If that's all a paintball can do, then surely you wouldn't mind if I overshot you ten times? It'll just leave a welt. It's not so much the actual pain. It's the experience. Getting shot once and getting out sure its alright...get the guy the next time. Get shot fifteen times? I wouldn't want to play with the guy again if it was my first time.

I completely agree. Tourney sure expect to get shot just because of the rate of fire. Big game is questionable for me because while I understand its a large group, if its one ball from everyone ok. If its twenty from just one its wrong.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone