mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Question Temper tantrum caught on video... What to do?

So recently I was playing at a local field, and deep in the woods, sneaking towards the other teams headquarters.

I was getting close, and was in thick brush when I heard players from the other team behind me get into a firefight. I stayed still, and saw movement in front of me.

Two players were deep in the creek in front of me, crossing past me. I had a very clear shot on both of them (they were only about 20-30 feet away), but I didn't want to fire at them, as it would give away my position, and the group behind me was quite large by the sound of them...

I had already crouched before I saw them, so I waited, with my gun aiming at them, as they passed bye.

The first guy didn't notice me, but the second guy looked right at me, so I shot him. Then swung and shot the guy in front.

To which he didn't call out, so I shot him again, and he started screaming at me about how I was on his team...

(he was blue, I was red). I didn't say anything, and shot him again, and this time he called out.

So I stopped firing.

Which should have been the end of it, but it wasn't. He proceeded to cuss me out, flip me the bird, and scream about what an idiot I was for shooting him when we were both blue...

I was sitting there thinking... "SHUT UP, you are giving away my position... and there are TONS of blue players RIGHT behind me...".

I yelled over him to "shut up" and "Dead men don't talk".

But, it didn't stop him, he just kept yelling. So I shot him in the head. Then said, "you're out... LEAVE".

Then he blew his stack even worse and charged up the hill towards me...

I don't like bullies. And I don't back down to their stupidity, and if this guy wanted some action, I could easily put him on his back, and help him realize the error in his ways. So as soon as he got into my personal space, I moved towards him, and stood up and we were face to face...

I guess he thought I would cower at his madness or something. His eyes were quite surprised when I quickly closed the gap between us.

He backed down, and fussed some more, as he stormed off. While his friend just shook his head in shame and walked past.

My old personality came out, and I said loudly "I thought so"... And watched him crash through the woods toward the large group of his players right past the brush I was hiding in.

Then I disappeared down into the ravine, and went on my way.

At the lunch break, the temper guy came up and apologized to me (don't know if he did it because he saw the red glow from my helmet cam recording his entire tantrum, or if it was sincere, I assume it was sincere... and I apologized for antagonizing him)

But.

I really don't like playing in public... Way to many people just itching to start something. I literally have a firefight on audio that I heard earlier where a kid starts screaming after being hit, and the guy that shot him just doesn't stop, he keeps firing and firing, and firing... full speedball shooting as fast as he can... Everyone is yelling at him to stop but he doesn't. And finally everyone is screaming at him, and he stops. And I can still hear that kid screaming in pain, and crying as his dad tries to comfort him. His wailing goes on for minutes, until it fades away as his dad takes him home...

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

I see bad behavior all the time at large scenarios. You know, you shoot a guy, and watch it break on him, and he keeps playing and swings on you. So you shoot him again, and again, and again, and he never calls out, until he finally hits you... While he is covered in your paint.

What is the point of our game, when public playing is like this? I rarely play in public, so I am used to shooting a guy once, you see it break, you both know that the other guy is out. But, in public, you have to light up the other player to get him to call out.

It is poor sportsmanship and clearly people just doing everything they can to bend the rules of the game.

Anyway, should I post this behavior on my youtube channel, or not?

The only reason I can think of to post it, is to get a discussion going about how we behave when playing, and how to improve that behavior.

The negatives of posting it are many... it shows the sport in a bad light. It points out bad behavior in a way that almost "promotes it" as it would be sure to be a popular video. It isn't "fun" which is why I started filming stuff.

Anyway, I thought I would ask you guys to get your opinion before I did anything...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

upload it. you tape things to upload them.

blur his face if it makes you feel better.

add a commentary about keeping a level head because your perception of "friendly fire" may not be so and make it a video lesson if you feel really bad about it. add a blurt about how you shouldn't have said "i thought so" either if you feel really really bad about it. the tone of the video is entirely in the director's control, the uploader with the right skills can make it as funny or as neutral or as antagonizing or even as informative as he wants.

i have long since covered up my red recording light, only for better hiding in the woods though.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I would upload it. And then email it to the field or post it on their Facebook page. I would tell them that in the end, neither of you had the right attitudes but apologized in the end. However, they need to inform players that friendly fire or not, if you are hit, you are out and to just leave it at that.

The overshooting would be blasted as many places as I could find to stick it to single out that person and hopefully shame them into fixing their ways, or stop going to the field. Don't think you said that you recorded that, but that's pathetic.

I once got bunkered by a rec player who knew the game fairly well. I know they weren't a regular though because I haven't seen him since. I was playing pump and was in a 3 sided bunker that was set up like a diamond missing one of the back rear sides. My cover apparently got shot out, so this guy was able to walk up to my bunker and he aimed over the top right as I moved from the left side to the right, right below him. This was a surrender field (within 20' it's mandatory unless you are running past the bunker, you aren't expected to stop if there are more players shooting at you) and I look up and in that split second was waiting for the offer. Instead he shot me, ok, I can see how it happens, I said "HIT!". Then he shot me a few more times and I lunged at him. My friend who was in a bunker 2 back from me saw the whole thing and was pretty shocked that I basically upended this bunker made from 3 sheets of plywood. All I was doing was moving the gun from being pointed at me since apparently Mr. Trigger can't see a break a foot in front of him.

After he came up to me and said that I shouldn't get physical like that. The intimidating 5' 6" that I am replied that the surrender rule is their to prevent what just happened and barring that, it only takes one shot. He just walked away after that.

I hate confrontations and will work quite hard to avoid them, but some things get me going.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'd like to assume that the first guy's behaviour had been due to a bad snap reaction. The guy could've honestly thought u were on the same team, shooting teammates intentionally and made the bad decision of losing it. As crappy as his behaviour was, at least he had the balls to man up and apologize afterwards.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stockclass player

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Both of the situations you described are less than ideal at best.
More specifically though that over shooting needs to be dealt with. That behavior is deplorable. Upload that video and send that one to the field. That is dangerous behavior and I bet that kid and his dad will never play again.

MCB Feedback
Ebay Feedback
mailmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Dumb peoples are everywhere.

When there were more barriers to get in the game, they have been perhaps less common here, because dumb peoples are normally lazy.

Imho store it in personal archive for own lesson. We need good examples, not bad... but it is good to know that there are such like peoples and do not forget that.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
upload it. you tape things to upload them.

blur his face if it makes you feel better.

add a commentary about keeping a level head because your perception of "friendly fire" may not be so and make it a video lesson if you feel really bad about it. add a blurt about how you shouldn't have said "i thought so" either if you feel really really bad about it. the tone of the video is entirely in the director's control, the uploader with the right skills can make it as funny or as neutral or as antagonizing or even as informative as he wants.

i have long since covered up my red recording light, only for better hiding in the woods though.
What he said.

I need a camera - run into so much douchebaggery that it needs to be out there.

I wish vvomp had his cam on yesterday while we were playing - almost got into a fist fight due to some serious stupidity - and dangerous play style.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

And this type of behavior (both yours and his) is why I play stock-class exclusively. I never have to deal with any of this nonsense. Ever.

As far as the video goes... I don't see the point of uploading it. He apologized. You apologized. It's over. As you point out, the only thing uploading the video will accomplish at this point will be to give the sport of paintball an even worse reputation than it already has with the public. The only thing the general public knows about paintball are highway signs with hits all over them and players acting like idiots on YouTube. Besides, YouTube isn't a venue for reasonable or intelligent discussions. Why perpetuate the negative stereotype?

Post up something positive, like players displaying good sportsmanship. This world and the sport need more positive messages.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Slim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
As you point out, the only thing uploading the video will accomplish at this point will be to give the sport of paintball an even worse reputation than it already has with the public.
i disagree. attitudes happen in and out of paintball. here is an example where both parties involved made good afterwards, not the case in many other sports/places. it all depends on how well he can emphasize that point, that players of this sport have the capability to right a wrong. nobody looks at apollo 13 in a complete negative light.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i disagree. attitudes happen in and out of paintball. here is an example where both parties involved made good afterwards, not the case in many other sports/places. it all depends on how well he can emphasize that point, that players of this sport have the capability to right a wrong. nobody looks at apollo 13 in a complete negative light.
I like this point. In every sport, people will lose their cool. Its not often that you see people sack up and try to make it right.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone