mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Why no companies making .50pistols???(RANT) (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/233941-why-no-companies-making-50pistols-rant.html)

agentSmith 05-21-2013 05:59 AM

Why no companies making .50pistols???(RANT)

I was going to mod a desert eagle .43 to shoot .50 but I couldn't get it to shoot .43 satisfactorily....

Seriously!
I'm watching 700 machinists with ZERO imagination race each other in bringing out 700 different AR's.
REALLY?
Do we need another imitation of the exact same rifle?
When you can already put together 100 different variations using 20year old markers?

What a horrendous waste of talent and time.

JT is smarter than all of you. They brought out a .50cal pistol that will outsell all your fancy markers combined.
Of course being JT they failed in execution and ended up with springloaded plastic.

They'll still outsell the rest of the magfed market.

Companies are making .50 cal paint. A ready supply.

A slight improvement to the RAM type pistols could give an IDENTICAL COPY of the 1911 that shot paint. An IDENTICAL COPY of the glock that shot paint.

Yeah, you're right, noone would buy that.... Sorry to trouble you!

Instead someone could spend 8 months to make an m16a2 just like mine that had a scuff on the grip and a rattly sling mount....... and get the rattle JUST right!

Rob

Frizzle Fry 05-21-2013 06:20 AM

.43 has been the standard for magfed milsim since well before .50cal was reintroduced. The chinese company that produces 'realistic' blowback pistols for... well, just about anyone who sells them, has got a proven line that includes something like a Sig, a pseudo-Glock and a Desert Eagle lookalike. They've honed that product over generations to be quite functional, and they've got a lockdown on the caliber.

Kingman did make a .50cal pistol for a while, and the failure of .50cal has caused them to switch to .43 instead (granted the whole line is now out of production). If the success of Kingmans product had shown there was a market, perhaps a new company would have tried, but as it is there are plenty of .43cal markers on the market, and that caliber was embraced by players looking for that type of marker almost a decade ago.

.43cal has outlived .50cal in a competitive sense; it's been over a year since GI Milsim closed its .50cal division, GOG and GI Sportz haven't picked up the reigns, and conversion kits were short lived or failed to appear. Sure, KEE has put .50cal into their plastic spring-powered Splatmaster revival, but I don't think anyone would argue that it should really be considered as anything other than a branch off of paintball.

Anyway, it sucks that you won't get a Desert Eagle in the caliber you're looking for, but in a couple years when you can't find .50cal paint outside of blowgun websites (again), you'll be happy to know you can still order slightly overpriced .43cal paint from RAP4 and probably a few other companies that survive or spring up.

DocsMachine 05-21-2013 08:00 AM

Two reasons:

One, .50 cal is ballistically inferior to the well-established .68 cal.

And two, pistols in general are a niche market- which means they're a niche market of a niche market.

Yes, there's some interest, but that interest is largely already filled by two decent .68 cal pistols. And a .68 can compete on any regular field against conventional markers, whereas a .50 would generally only be good for CQB type scenarios.

So a .50 pistol would be a small subset (CQB players) of a small subset (milsim-ers) of a small subset (paintball players in general) which limits the market somewhat.

A high quality Glock or 1911 copy would also be a $250 to $400 pistol- which would only find buyers of an even smaller subset.

It's simply market forces. Any company today, especially in this still-depressed economy, is going to do their market research, and most likely won't bother tooling up for such a gun, unless they're pretty sure they could sell tens of thousands. And sorry, but in my experience, there's little demand for pistols in general, and even less for anything in a nonstandard caliber.

Doc.

neftaly 05-21-2013 08:19 AM

I am partial to .50 and have had similar thoughts. Been experimenting with a few concepts over the last year or so, but I want to get my pump out there first.

The reason you haven't seen anything yet from anybody else is that it seems like a bad idea for any business operating outside of the niche market. The thought would be as follows: why would a player buy a pistol that has crappy range and takes special paint (which in turn has an abysmal rep) when they could buy something cheaper, beefier and more popular from an established company that shoots paint out of the same bag as their normal marker *and* supports first strikes?

Horizon 05-21-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 2713689)
Anyway, it sucks that you won't get a Desert Eagle in the caliber you're looking for, but in a couple years when you can't find .50cal paint outside of blowgun websites (again)

I don't know if that's going to happen. I hear more and more field owners getting into 50 cal and apparently there is a new 50 cal rental being released at World Cup this year. I think 50 cal will be more easily attainable than 43 cal for a while.

artguy63 05-21-2013 09:34 AM

So...you're complaining that companies aren't making any .50 cal paintball guns, when at least 90% of fields (estimated, based on the areas I've played) are field paint only? And only a handful of those carry .50 cal to begin with.

You're right. Completely missed market.

agentSmith 05-21-2013 11:46 AM

I'm saying:
A: the 3357 and the success of players using them and the fact that they're being pieced together like zombies and resold as we speak give the lie to the first few. Is 50 inferior? YES. Is a pistol inferior to a rifle in real life? YES. So, you're complaining about 50 pistols because they are realistic in that sense. We LIKE a handgun that's as powerful as a rifle, is THAT IT? Not us!!!

B. Pistols are a niche market because making pistols is hard when you can make an easier buck in regular markers. The guys at Tippmann told me in 09 that pistols were a niche market and I told them this: "It's not that noone makes a good pistol because noone wants to play that way, it's that noone wants to play that way because noone's made a good pistol."
3 years later after selling over 30,000 of them they told me I was right. I am right. I've been playing pistols for 27 years and for all of them I've seen that look in people's eyes, heard the questions and answered them as kindly as I could. Will everybody be a nut like me and play with them, of course not. however that doesn't change the fact that folks would buy them in droves, far more than for a specific iteration of AR.
Or go outside the box. Make a Bergmann Pistole model 1910 that shoots first strikes:

http://image.artfact.com/housePhotos...-L39837110.jpg

Anything!
As to whether there is a 'pistol market' I would say that the 2 companies to stumble into it correctly lately, Tiberius then Tippmann are both doing quite well off this imaginary market...

C. I said that 50 cal is currently being produced. That means that it can be matched to any field paint and special ordered through the field. I used my 3357s at hell survivors until the late 90s this way, easy.

Rob

CCMachinist 05-21-2013 11:57 AM

I agree with agentsmith.

weekendballer 05-21-2013 11:57 AM

For argument sake it was my understanding that hell survivors doesn't allow first strikes because they were not willing to to pay for a custom run with their fill. They didn't think they would sell enough for it to be profitable. You think there is enough market to justify carrying a custom run of .50 cal field paint?

acrewofone 05-21-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentSmith (Post 2713846)
I'm saying:
A: the 3357 and the success of players using them and the fact that they're being pieced together like zombies and resold as we speak give the lie to the first few. Is 50 inferior? YES. Is a pistol inferior to a rifle in real life? YES. So, you're complaining about 50 pistols because they are realistic in that sense. We LIKE a handgun that's as powerful as a rifle, is THAT IT? Not us!!!

....Rob

I AM the zombie builder!

...and I just had back surgery, so I'm on loopy pain meds...wee...