mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

The part that Simon held up looked like it was done with SLS; it seemed to have that powdery-white look to it. Or the video was just bad.

Honestly, this fused deposition stuff is kind of primitive. It has to be accurate to be useful, and there's only so much accuracy you can get squeezing hot plastic strings together.

Out of the FDM printers, the delta-based printers in are the best-in-class.

Look up: seemeecnc, rostock, kessel, deltamaker. You'll see why.

I'd just redesign that battery door to something simpler. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Any recommendations/advice on making one/an addon that takes pellets? The material cost seems to be quite less.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

wow this mendel kit is under $500 Prusa Mendel Full Kit (Excluding Printed Plastic Parts) [94] - $439.00*CAD : Mixshop 3D Printer, RepRap Prusa Mendel Parts not including printed parts though
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
There is a shop down the street from me that has a rapid prototyping machine, that can produce the parts in ABS. I am working on getting the files to him for a quote. I will post contact info and price up once it's all settled and I have my set.
That violates his license. Can't pay someone to make it. Reference 4.C I think.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ask me about my

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0E View Post
That violates his license. Can't pay someone to make it. Reference 4.C I think.
I may be misreading it but I think it means that you can't sell his design for a profit. You're basically paying for time and cost when you have it printed; the printers don't make much off of you. I have no idea how he thinks it would be made otherwise.
Designer of the first legit looking ego pump, the EgoP!
BUY IT HERE!!

Tinkerer/ Pump lover
Team Akkadian Paintball Squad
OK D-Day '09 - German 716th IR
FEAR THE TREES!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1067010
Skibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Any recommendations/advice on making one/an addon that takes pellets? The material cost seems to be quite less.
I've seen several that are designed to use bulk pellet by way of a preprocessed rod. Melt your pellets, pass through an extruder, print head then feeds rods from a semi-automated hopper.

Personally I'm a big fan of the "Melt-Mill-Move" 3D printer concept. Rather than trying to do a whole complex element out of just deposited drops/lines of melted plastic, they instead include both the 'printer' head to rough in detail, and then a precision milling head to remove extra and polish things off. The "Move" aspect is added by going a step further with the robotics and including robotic arms to move parts within the printing frame. Combine the robotic arm with an independent milling head and the ability to weld with the print head?

Make sub-assemblies laid out in the plane best suited to print them, grab on to them, cut them out, stick them where they're suppose to go, and weld them there. Get around the increased potential for error by adding a 3D scanning system to the mix to self correct positioning.

Way more complex, but potentially far faster, and able to do far more complex projects. One of my old classmates is obsessed with building self-replicating/improving robots, and it is kind of cool to watch his latest project spread itself across his living room floor. They can actually pass parts off between each machine, so it builds the next one even faster by subcontracting parts out to different machines so they can print or mill at their most efficient speeds.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbo View Post
I may be misreading it but I think it means that you can't sell his design for a profit. You're basically paying for time and cost when you have it printed; the printers don't make much off of you. I have no idea how he thinks it would be made otherwise.
Section 3 says you can reproduce or adapt the work (hopper in physical or digital form).

Section 4.c
"You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. "

So no one can reproduce or adapt the work with the intent of monetary compensation. Pretty straight forward.

Simply put:
You can't get paid to make the hopper.

Doesn't matter if you're getting compensated poorly or if you even turn a profit.

You can still make this hopper without violating his copyright though. Just get someone to gift it to you...or use/buy your own 3D printer.

IMHO These licenses are only useful for software arena and have no real purpose for functional 3D printed objects. Things like jewelry... maybe.

It was clearly designed for injection molding. I'm guessing his talk of Kickstarter is the next logical step toward the $40k tooling while this ccl provides protection in the interim.

Great marketing strategy and a good way to get community feedback before you even soft tooled the design.

Now, being the copyright holder, he can issue as many different licenses to who ever he chooses in what ever limited scenarios. So he could write up a different license agreement specifically for Mr. Y which allows him to make 99 Pico hoppers using an manual injection molder and selling them to the community below/at/above cost. This is why I asked that thing I asked in the thread about this same topic on this same forum... recently.... with no reply.... yet.

Last edited by P0E; 05-24-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

simon is right here though, he probably used creative commons license to make sure nobody sells the hopper. you can always just ask simon if he's ok with someone not having a 3d printer paying for a friend to make it.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #39 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
I've seen several that are designed to use bulk pellet by way of a preprocessed rod. Melt your pellets, pass through an extruder, print head then feeds rods from a semi-automated hopper.

Personally I'm a big fan of the "Melt-Mill-Move" 3D printer concept. Rather than trying to do a whole complex element out of just deposited drops/lines of melted plastic, they instead include both the 'printer' head to rough in detail, and then a precision milling head to remove extra and polish things off. The "Move" aspect is added by going a step further with the robotics and including robotic arms to move parts within the printing frame. Combine the robotic arm with an independent milling head and the ability to weld with the print head?

Make sub-assemblies laid out in the plane best suited to print them, grab on to them, cut them out, stick them where they're suppose to go, and weld them there. Get around the increased potential for error by adding a 3D scanning system to the mix to self correct positioning.

Way more complex, but potentially far faster, and able to do far more complex projects. One of my old classmates is obsessed with building self-replicating/improving robots, and it is kind of cool to watch his latest project spread itself across his living room floor. They can actually pass parts off between each machine, so it builds the next one even faster by subcontracting parts out to different machines so they can print or mill at their most efficient speeds.
Interesting idea.

Yeah, I had heard about the Filastruder (sp?) a while back, but I wasn't sure if anything else had come out to compete with that.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #40 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
simon is right here though, he probably used creative commons license to make sure nobody sells the hopper. you can always just ask simon if he's ok with someone not having a 3d printer paying for a friend to make it.
I did ask Simon.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone