mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #101 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
NRG paintball
The snot guns? They're coming back, or at least the name is...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #102 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Satclaire View Post
Yeah, not so much. The same day they first went on sale I blew a ton of money on an Angel LCD with an AA Armageddon system mounted on a rail under the grip[.]
-I still only own a couple screw-in tanks; one new Myth stuck on an old 3K/68, an ancient Paintball Mania 1800 (basically a screw-in reg, attached to a 20 oz CO2 tank- you only fill it to 1800 psi) and a more recent 22ci/3K.

All my currently-used "main" markers, at the moment, have fixed tanks. Mostly old 3K/68 Flatlines (I have about half a dozen) a MacDev Conquest, and a couple Dynaflows. I can't get 4500 fills anyway since all the fields only go to 3K because of the steelie 47ci rental tanks, so a "modern" 4500 doesn't do me any good.

And I picked up the older tanks for anywhere from $35 to $60 each.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #103 (permalink)
Post Whore

Is there a price pointy failure starts at, if I buy a 5 dollar speed feed and its not work great to me it is not failure. If I bought a 50 dollar speed feed and it is not great to me that is a failure. Anyone's thoughts on this?
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #104 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
The Medusa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxPmI1fg6OQ
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #105 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post
A true definition of failed should be products that had a ton of hype but never launched Or products that had alot of hype but were frought with issues right out the box.
The best example I can think of was the CalMag metallic paintballs. CalMag was one of the leading paintball makers back 25 years ago, until they hyped the hell out of there new line of "Metallic Paintballs". They were supposed to be the best thing ever.

It was a clear fill with suspended metallic particles. Sounds cool? It was- and everyone wanted it. Apparently nobody at CalMag actually tested them because it was quickly discovered that a clear fill was -IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE A HIT.... making it worthless. CalMag was initially selling this crap by pallet-only, and was not accepting returns- There was a massive revolt, and it ultimetly led to the fall of the company.

The USI Eliminator was another flop- Though initially they sold thousands. It was the first "cheap" semi, about 1/2 the price as the others. Fields especially bought them up as rentals. But the design was flawed, and cheaply made. After a case of paintballs, the gun began to self destruct. Sometimes violently flinging metal bits towards your eyes!

Warranty repairs began to flood the company, and wholesalers were demanding credits from USI. The response from "fast eddie" was to declare bankcrupt.... then buy back his OWN BUSINESS during the bank auction, remaning it to Apache, then reselling the flawed guns as "Mustangs". People were not fooled.

Everything SP related is hyped, but the best example was the Nerve. The gun on the market was not the one originally designed and hyped. It was supposed to "change paintball" with an on-board FPS system that could dynamically adjust reg psi..... turns out the system didn't work.. and it was dumped at the last second, resulting in a lame gun.

The SHocker SFT was similar as well. The hyped prototype was a dual-noid closed-bolt spoo, and they hyped it as the "best thing ever". But again, the prototype was flawed... not fast enough.. etc. Just didn't work good enough. At the last second, the design was revised to be an open-bolt spooler. And it was a decent gun, but everyone was a bit pissed because of all the "its closed-bolt" marketing... which ended up being not true. Smart Parts defended itself by saying it was still closed-bolt... even if not really a closed bolt because it used "Sealed force technology", meaning the bolt was closed while firing.

grrrrrr

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #106 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
Is there a price pointy failure starts at, if I buy a 5 dollar speed feed and its not work great to me it is not failure. If I bought a 50 dollar speed feed and it is not great to me that is a failure. Anyone's thoughts on this?
The frustration of a non-working item is the same. It's even more maddening when that piece was expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #107 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
The best example I can think of was the CalMag metallic paintballs. CalMag was one of the leading paintball makers back 25 years ago, until they hyped the hell out of there new line of "Metallic Paintballs". They were supposed to be the best thing ever.
-Actually, the ones I remember were "Black Beauty", I think. Just what it said on the tin, black shelled paintballs, with a regular colored fill.

Since at the time players were still carrying paint around in clear 10-round tubes in JT harnesses and shotgun belts, the idea was to 'camoflage" the balls. Instead of tubes of bright-green or bright-orange paint slung across your camo BDU jacket, you had tubes of black balls which blended in a lot better.

The problem? You couldn't see them fly.

Even today, with a semiauto and cheap paint, if you can't see where the ball goes, you really can't aim. Back then, at ten cents a ball and "one shot one kill" pumpguns, not being able to see where the paint went was fatal. Nobody could aim, nobody could hit anything.

I still have a bunch of the old CalMag camoflage cardboard boxes around here somewhere, though...

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #108 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Smart Parts defended itself by saying it was still closed-bolt... even if not really a closed bolt because it used "Sealed force technology", meaning the bolt was closed while firing.

grrrrrr
I thought that SFT was for Seal Forward Technology, as there was an o-ring in the breech to seal the bolt when it was fully forward, instead of the o-ring being ON the bolt and causing friction. Cool idea but not exactly 'technology'.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #109 (permalink)
Banned

i thought the term was "enclosed bolt."
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #110 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

That is why I asked what are the ground rules for defining a failed product?

With failed paintballs, can we call Hydrotec paintball a fail or are we all still holding out hope?
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone