mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Does this have to be a product that did make it to market and died away, or something promised that never made it, or something that some vendor/manufacture release as a model?

The most recent to come to mind would be Angel's Angel Eyes mask. All we got to see was some prototype and nothing else. Z-Grips came and went. I had a set of the photo chromatic Raven lenses and loved the mask; those things came and went. Anybody know what happened to the Raven line?
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post
Anybody know what happened to the Raven line?
They disappeared with Java a few years back. Then Kingman training shut a bit more recently. Now it's just Kingman and Kingman Spyder I believe, and I don't think they make masks any more.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

voice alert from the luxe
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Few years ago, the shop I was working at got a product called the ICU (that was either the product name or the company. Can't recall which). Anyway, basically it was two convex mirrors you attached to your barrel tip. It allowed you to peak out of cover without exposing too much of yourself. I've never seen them again since then.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Few years ago, the shop I was working at got a product called the ICU (that was either the product name or the company. Can't recall which). Anyway, basically it was two convex mirrors you attached to your barrel tip. It allowed you to peak out of cover without exposing too much of yourself. I've never seen them again since then.
There's a real steel equivalent that made the rounds about five years ago. I bought one on a whim but couldn't find a marker with rails in the right place to make it work, so it now lives on the world's crappiest 22.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
In the earlier thread about .50 cal markers, I started wondering about the long line of products our little "cottage industry" sport has made over the years, that just didn't quite catch on.

Scratch that, I mean the ones that failed miserably.

I recall an old issue of some paintball magazine, where a press release was showing off a new harness- instead of individual 10-round tubes which were the style at the time, it carried whole 45-round "ammo box" loaders. You replaced the entire loader, instead of topping it up. (Admittedly they were cheap blow-molded loaders, not like they were today's Halos or anything, but still... )

That was ZAP paint that put that out. They just came out at the wrong time. Revi was starting to hit the scean then along with the SP Whaler and Bsquare etc.

Or JT's motocross-style goggle tear-offs. Good idea for getting rid of splatter, but could also get rid of an entire hit, too. I think JT yanked those after just a couple months.

They are back out on the market and I just saw them Saturday the 18 of May 2013.

What else has crashed into flaming wreckage?

Doc.
The bait switch failed unless you really know how to use it in stock class. The SLUGO, but it never existed. Brass Eagle several times. Cal Mag, Banner,Sure Bull,ZAP several times.

The 10 rnd tube BDUs, That Tommy Gun that never made it to market,Many Gun Builds on this site.

Many paintball companies that just took money and never returned stuff or just took way to long.

Alot of companies that are just going in for the big bucks and not really giving a crap about their customers.

Several paintball Magazines. I don't see APG staying around much longer.

WGP failed

.50 cal a few times
.62 cal only once.

I'm going to have to think about more stuff that has failed over the yrs.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
oh the zap zxs 600/800-e

It was a fasor version of an ICD cat.........just at about 1/4 the manufacturing cost. It had a whole bunch of potential and that was it.
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post
Does this have to be a product that did make it to market and died away, or something promised that never made it, or something that some vendor/manufacture release as a model?
-I guess I had in mind products that were actually made (even if just a handful) but failed in the marketplace.

Like the Magic Box for 'Mags; that's a bad product, which never really caught on in any meaningful way, but it sold in relatively significant numbers. So it's not really a "failed" product. Same for SP's Nerve- most kind of consider that a failed product, but they sold a fair amount of them.

I was thinking more like the aforementioned .62 cal "safety paintball", or that one early agitated loader that used blowback air from the marker to actuate a ram piston to shake the paint.

Quote:
The most recent to come to mind would be Angel's Angel Eyes mask.
-That really didn't "fail". The company folded before the goggles could be produced, yes, but from everything I've heard, had the goggles themselves actually come out, they'd have sold like hotcakes.

Quote:
WGP failed
-I disagree. WGP sold the dominant tourney marker for at least a decade, and kept selling a highly competitive version for another decade after that. The company only "failed" after being bought out, restructured, bean-counted, and their primary product emasculated and cheapened.

Ditto SP and WDP; yes, both 'failed'- and a bit more directly than WGP- but only after years (or even decades) of unquestionable success.

But anyway, I was mainly thinking of individual products, not necessarily shops, stores or manufacturers.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

only things that come to mind right now are glue on stabilizer fins for your paint, the crossfire ramrod barrel, and the barrel mounted shoot through chrono that jt had for a little bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Are You Smoking Crack?
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
The C3.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone