mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #101 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
You bring up an interesting point. The danger of doing this type of thing is probably not the professional officer who is going to respond. Nor is it the many gun owners who are going to respond by calling the police and retreating. Its "that guy" who has a .44 magnum "concealed" under his jacket and is utterly convinced there is a terrorist conspiracy in his town and he is going to stop it.
Dude, paranoid dude is not my fear. They've been around for EVER! They just haven't been armed with a .44 mag. Heck sometimes they drive around pretending to be cops and they only have a fake badge! That's even as dangerous!!!!!

People don't need a gun to be dangerous.

But, People can be really dangerous when they do stupid things with a gun to prove a point.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #102 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

So question, considering there are so many Mods in this thread...

How is this not considered political discussion? It's actually a pretty decent back and forth, but gun control seems to be a pretty hot topic.

Feel free to PM me responses so as to not derail the thread.

On Topic: Sadly, I'm pretty sure these are customers of ours...

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #103 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I am trying to skate a fine line without going over it. Basically I'm trying to advocate smart gun ownership.... and I know I have made some statements that were political in nature... and if another mod feels I have done so I will gladly dump my posts or let them do so and not get cranky about it.

I will say that, as I said before.. it drives me nuts when people do stupid **** and then get bent when they get in trouble for it. That goes for speeding, driving drunk, whatever. You do stupid **** that is not allowed and if you get caught your are going to be in trouble. If it's outside the social norm it just makes it easier to get in trouble for it.

With that said, I'm stepping aside from this conversation so I don't violate anymore rules... lead by example and all.

E
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #104 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I agree. This does skate close to the line, but it really isn't about politics. It is in fact about common sense and responsible ownership/use of sporting goods that can be mistaken for firearms.

Even if paintball markers couldn't be mistaken for firearms, it still doesn't make sense to be riding around with them in the car, or even worse waving them around in public places. That's what vandals do...
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #105 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
Even if paintball markers couldn't be mistaken for firearms, it still doesn't make sense to be riding around with them in the car, or even worse waving them around in public places. That's what vandals do...
i remember taking film class in high school that the teacher specifically said pre-emptively, if we filmed with gun props and the cops show up we should do everything the cop asks. we were probably taking more risks than a homework project deserves, but we weren't vandals. my group opted to just not have a violent plot altogether. another group actually did have gun scenes in their film but they didn't have any run ins.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #106 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I helped with a film project and was basically the go-to gun expert. They wanted to use starter pistols and other real looking guns and film around State COllege, PA. I told them they were out of their mind and that it would be a ROYAL pia to do. I eventually helped them do a script re-write and we used a couple modified paintball guns (one fired just air as it had no barrel) and I made sure to let the local cops know when and where we filming even though we ended up being on private property and not in view of the public.

I really didn't want the cops to charge in guns drawn because someone saw us repeatedly putting a "gun" to a guys head ( a scene that was changed on the fly to having him shot from a distance) when it was just some film students trying to get a good grade.

E
Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #107 (permalink)
MCB Member

E,
I understand your point but I think a lot of what we are seeing if reactionaries attempting to make political changes without the political process. When I grew up it was common to drive along the parking lot at school and see a shotgun and or a rifle in the back window of every pickup in the lot. These guns were there legally. They can still be there legally (in this state) if the pickup is not near a school. We never had a problem, no one ever got hurt or arrested because the guns were visible. I would be less likely to do the same today for fear that the gun would be stolen but it would still be pretty safe here during the day.
In this state it is also legal to carry a pistol in the open without a concealed carry permit. People do that frequently especially around hunting season. It is common for high school kids to get together to hunt for squirrels or birds on state land so you can often see teenagers parking on the edge of the woods and getting out guns to go hunting. These are legal activities.
Now we hear stories of 5th graders being expelled from school because an adult overhears the kid saying that he wished he had a GUN so he could have protected the Sandy Hook kids. Or of another little guy expelled for shaping his pop tart into a GUN and saying "bang bang". That is going way to far.
I could decide that I don't trust my neighbor's driving, or that Al's VW bus is a hazard on the road and call the cops every time I see the vehicle move reporting a "hazardous condition". After I would be doing my "civic duty" protecting others, But I would be infringing on the rights of others do do things that they have a legal right to do, wouldn't I? I could be concerned about gangs of young thugs and report any time I see a couple of boys with baseball bats, but it might holdup a few baseball games.
The problem is that to many people are doing a knee jerk "call the cops" without having a clue as to what is going on. I once heard a story about a little boy that cried "WOLF" once too often.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #108 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Jim I think it also has a lot to do with area. Around my house seeing someone walking around with a gun is not abnormal and noone would care. However when I go to Detroit to watch a ballgame seeing someone with a firearm would be disconcerting.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #109 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think you are very correct in saying it has to do with location, and the center of the nation is much more gun friendly and accepting on guns in the open. I guess My main point is that the pendulum needs to swing back more to the center. We are going overboard in the protection side when moderation should be practiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #110 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
You bring up an interesting point. The danger of doing this type of thing is probably not the professional officer who is going to respond. Nor is it the many gun owners who are going to respond by calling the police and retreating. Its "that guy" who has a .44 magnum "concealed" under his jacket and is utterly convinced there is a terrorist conspiracy in his town and he is going to stop it.

Those types deserve their own episode of Through the Wormhole; but no amount of prevention or education is going to drive the crazy out of a person.

why do you think i drive so carefully?

My feedback
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone