mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pbjunkie.com back on line

I noticed the other day that Pbjunkie.com is back on line. At one time they did a rather good job of covering the southeast, then they lost viewers for various reasons.
I would like to see the southeast get back to where we were 20 years ago in the paintball world. Maybe the new management at Pbjunkie will help make that happen again. Encouraging game producers for other parts of the country to come into or region would be a good start.

Good luck to the new Pbjunkie.com

RJ
Nashville RidgeRunner
Since 1985
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cool. I go by bassfisher over there too.

The world is like an ice cream sunday.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
.. Maybe the new management at Pbjunkie will help make that happen again...
er.. imo pbjunkie didnt make the region what it was. it just helped it network. behind the scenes the field owners and producers were collaborating and cooperating to grow the market - and it was that spirit that grew travel ball in the region. pbjunkie certainly helped, but you have to have some muscle behind the scenes to do big things.

I think facebook has taken over with each field happily doing its own thing... and ironically chilling the need to network.

I'm thrilled to see pbj back up, and properly sponsored, but I don't foresee a return to the heyday.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thumper, I believe that the southeast can come back into the forefront of paintball as we were in the 80s and 90s with people like Randy Baxter, Sam Cauldwell and Jim Lively, folks who actually played the game back in the early 80s putting the events together. At this time in the Southeast we do not have anyone of that caliber involved in producing events.
I don't think that the need for a forum to net work has passed, as the amount of net working on MCB shows. Rich allowed his forum to go down a path of supporting only one producer in the region which aided in Pbjs downfall along with questionable editing policy by some of his mods.

I believe that PBJ has a place in this region to help promote all of the fieldsin the region and bring in top quality event producers to this region.

RJ
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Thumper, I believe that the southeast can come back into the forefront of paintball as we were in the 80s and 90s with people like Randy Baxter, Sam Cauldwell and Jim Lively, folks who actually played the game back in the early 80s putting the events together. At this time in the Southeast we do not have anyone of that caliber involved in producing events.
I don't think that the need for a forum to net work has passed, as the amount of net working on MCB shows. Rich allowed his forum to go down a path of supporting only one producer in the region which aided in Pbjs downfall along with questionable editing policy by some of his mods.

I believe that PBJ has a place in this region to help promote all of the fieldsin the region and bring in top quality event producers to this region.

RJ
fair enough - there was a very loyal following - aka the Scenario Brotherhood - that made pbj what it was but MPP and the Scenario Brotherhood really did not emerge until after the 2004 Free Finale at LCP. Before that it was all Wayne's World and the occasional MOUT game. IMO Billy gave birth to the region when he put on the Free Finale. There was a real sense of community after that...and the events were crazy fun and PBJ rode the wave... its a real shame Rich didn't not make bank on it while it was hot.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I will go with that. Now let's see what we can do to gets thing back on track in the southeast, Games have gotten few and far between down here.
RJ
Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
I will go with that. Now let's see what we can do to gets thing back on track in the southeast, Games have gotten few and far between down here.
RJ
yep. Its been a real dry spell.. and the last dozen after-action reports Ive read/heard it seems the game is still headed downhill. I know its a well beaten horse, but high rates of fire chill new players from getting into the game. From what I've seen overshooting, playing on, noob bashing, flaming, mega-drama etc are at an all time high - especially at the big games. Its sad really.

Back in the day field owners would collaborate and close their doors for the weekend and pack up a herd to support a neighboring field's event. They would pass out flyers for each other months before the event. Now its me me me, to hell with them. I don't see anyone working on the big picture...just lots of little fiefdoms. .. really big games can turn things around, but that will require all of the fields in the area working together for a common goal - and that takes guts and a willingness to cooperate... something I just don't see anymore. Again, its sad.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and cynical.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

yeah would love to see something down this way....You figure we got some good weather to play year round....but just not seeing the game play as much. And some of the fields in my area (central FL) just act like they don't care half the time.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone