mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #81 (permalink)

" So Iím left to wonder why he committed to this event if he was so far behind. Why not pass? I donít know the answer because as of Friday morning he had unfriended me on Facebook and sent a text asking me to delete his number. Perhaps he was ashamed of his decision?"

This bit in the report, If I'm assuming correctly the writer must have told him to get off his butt and AA didn't like it?

Also, an article taking AA to the mill because he was a no show at a game, by someone who considered him a friend? Its all a bit harsh.

Is this thread a discussion about an article on Generals in paintball or is it a witch hunt, sorry... just asking?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #82 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadowHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer50505 View Post
Any game that allows people to play with rental equipment is not a competition. No matter how organized a scenario is and how well points are kept the majority of those people playing are there to shoot people and have no clue as to what the score is/ what the missions are/ even who the general and staff is. If yiu want a competition that isn't speedball its called the uwl. Any game that you shoot at kids and their parents who are out with rental equipment and jeans is not something to be taken like a serious competition
So you are saying that all the organized teams and competitive players should leave scenario and head for the UWL? That is why people form teams for the competition of the event. Sure you will have little Johnny and his parents with rental equipment, but they will more than likely be following the crowd to the areas of heavy gun fights at a central focal point on the field. That is what those focal points are designed for, the players who just want to shoot and have fun. The real meat and potatoes of the missions happens outside of that area for the most part. Sure there are missions in the central focal point, but most of them take place outside of the areas of heavy fighting. You may have to slip a mission team through or around the heavy action areas to get to an objective, but that is what helps make it challenging. At least that has been my experience.

Sure there are rentals and walk-ons at scenario games. That doesn't change the fact players are battling back and forth to complete or scrub missions so their side gets or maintains the lead. If they aren't competitions why bother with all the effort? People can just have fun at a no themed event with no missions to complete or objectives to capture. Though, it would make for a waste of space of areas outside the main focal point(s) when the field opens up their entire playing area for that game. Without missions the only reason to go outside of those areas would be to shoot up everyone at the insertion point. But without missions going out every half hour there is no point on doing a base drop except to slow down the flow of troops from the other side.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #83 (permalink)
MCB Member

wow 8 pages over this... really? The things that rise to the level of catastrophe in some peoples lives never ceases to amaze me. Somebody did something douchey, lets get over it.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #84 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Obeastly View Post
wow 8 pages over this... really? The things that rise to the level of catastrophe in some peoples lives never ceases to amaze me. Somebody did something douchey, lets get over it.
Calm down, it's only 3 pages.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #85 (permalink)
MCB Member

wow, missed a page somewhere

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #86 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowHunter View Post
So you are saying that all the organized teams and competitive players should leave scenario and head for the UWL? ..
Ill toss this out (slightly OT). The producer must gear his game towards serving the competitive needs of the teams that want to win but also the novice players and players who are there and just want some excitement and some people to shoot at. Above all, the game must be fun for all.

The competitive team that is there to win the game must keep in mind that most people there are not competing and for whom the score means little to nothing. They are there to have fun, hang out with their friends, get away from the daily grind for a weekend - to RECREATE. It is a recreational format. Drama and overly-competitive people can kill a game that was sold as a recreational event, and in this case - yes - at a point the competitive team should leave the scenario game and go play the UWL or similar that markets itself as a competitive venue for competitively minded people. Just like the tournament team has no place on the recball field. Its bad for business.

Ill quote Ben Torricelli once again: "Important to Remember: Scenario Games are not competitions. They are plays in which we are all cast members. Have fun with the concept, play hard, play to win, play fair, and most of all, enjoy yourself. "
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #87 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowHunter View Post
So you playing that all the organized teams and competitive players should leave scenario and head for the UWL? That is why people form teams for the competition of the event. Sure you will have little Johnny and his parents with rental equipment, but they will more than likely be following the crowd to the areas of heavy gun fights at a central focal point on the field. That is what those focal points are designed for, the players who just want to shoot and have fun. The real meat and potatoes of the missions happens outside of that area for the most part. Sure there are missions in the central focal point, but most of them take place outside of the areas of heavy fighting. You may have to slip a mission team through or around the heavy action areas to get to an objective, but that is what helps make it challenging. At least that has been my experience.

Sure there are rentals and walk-ons at scenario games. That doesn't change the fact players are battling back and forth to complete or scrub missions so their side gets or maintains the lead. If they aren't competitions why bother with all the effort? People can just have fun at a no themed event with no missions to complete or objectives to capture. Though, it would make for a waste of space of areas outside the main focal point(s) when the field opens up their entire playing area for that game. Without missions the only reason to go outside of those areas would be to shoot up everyone at the insertion point. But without missions going out every half hour there is no point on doing a base drop except to slow down the flow of troops from the other side.

If you played a scenario with only teams or people who were all on the same page I can see it being a competitive format. As is, especially with bigger events such as living legends and I.o.n (only naming games that I have participated in) there are way to many people not competing offsetting the minority in teams that take it seriously. It seems like a portion of those teams playing a scenario are more into having fun and enjoying the experience than striving to win, I haven't personally seen one team have that look of defeat on their faces after their side lost a scenario event, nor have I seen the joy on their faces that you see from a team that just won a tournament. That lack of emotion doesn't happen in a competitive setting the rewards of winning a scenario are basically bragging rights and the consequences of losing are basically non existent, that is not competitive ball.

And yes if a team that plays scenarios wants to play a competitive game that is not airball then the uwl is a good platform to get into. If they want to have fun and play scenarios that's fine, I would just hope guys don't get bent out of shape for a game that has no rewards or consequences for winning or losing, because it is in a non-competitive setting.

Theres no me in suck but there is always u

Last edited by Paintballer50505; 06-25-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #88 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #89 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
QFT

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #90 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I play senario with a large team in the texas/louisiana/mississipi area, we're pushing 30members and I still treat senario as a fun game, not a competition. I just want to go to a big paintball game and have FUN. I don't want to travel hours on end, spend all this money, just to make it into a JOB. Senario is not a competition, it is a game, which pisses me off quite often when people take it WAY too seriously (taking it seriously is one thing, but when people are nearly playing for blood, that's too far).

To me, one of my favorite things about senario is the fact that newbies CAN play, they can be part of the group, part of a squad, have fun with the "game" and not just shooting people.

But I don't see why the fuss about AA is so focused on the fact he didn't promote. I'd really be more pissed at the fact that he didn't show than the fact he didn't promote.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone