mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #41 (permalink)
dragshank

This is why I'm buying an SR-1, long range cover
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #42 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
I play at Liberty outside NYC. Liberty tends to have a solid number of younger, newer players. They tend to stay in the very back of the field, where no play is going on until their team is about to lose the match. During our most recent day of play I had two separate incidents recently that pissed me off a bit.

First time, my brother and I had sprinted to a nice hidden position on the field we were playing. It's a great position for the cover and how much of the field you get an angle on, but it's also so critical for the other team to clear that you tend to take a good deal of fire. So I'm shooting at a few players from the other team when I hear my brother scream in pain behind me. I turn to see how he was hit and see no paint, I ask him if hes in. As I do a rope comes from BEHIND US and catches me on the inner thigh. The local ref told me to ignore the friendly fire (they sometimes do) and play on. So I turned back around and was promptly shot about 15-25 times in the back and ***, no joke. I heard about 5-6 markers firing. Then I hear "I shot him but he didn't go out,"

"HE'S ON YOUR TEAM."
"Oh, oppps. But he's still out."

Number 2. This time we were playing a super brushy field. My brother and I played enough to know there was a short cut to our right 40 on the other side of the field. We told other players to cover the shortcut, but didn't bother doing it ourselves. Middle of the game the other team sneaks onto our right 40, my brother and I are holding the field in the other direction and left perfectly open to the men on our right 40 (old school woody speed ball, not xball). We both start sprinting to a new bunker with cover on the right.

In this bunker are 4 of our younger teammates. I hold up my blue wristband and scream "ON YOUR TEAM". They listen, look at us, lower there 98 custom rentals and open fire. I try to stop running but the mud is too slippery and slide forward, my brother does as well. I hold my footing but he slips and slides into me, all while we continue to take paint from our young teamates. Fully painted we being to walk off the field, as we cross behind the bushes markers raised well above our heads another group of lil tykes on our own team lights us up AGAIN. THE Refs cry that we are out AND on there team, but the fire continues until we sprint full speed out of the field.

This happens on a regular enough basis and I've never considered firing back, or really doing more then calming telling the little ones to "watch the friendly fire" at the start of maps. When it gets really bad I may switch too "try and shoot something other then the backs of our heads" but thats as harsh as i've got. If the kids were more our age though (my brothers 18, i'm 21) I'm not sure i'd have been so calm. (I'm also not sure my hotheaded brother would stay calm if he played a bit more, he's still new enough to follow rules to the letter, but he lacks my devotion to being an "ambassador for the sport" at all costs)

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Mill Masseuse

CCM Fan
If I was the ref I would have done the same thing. I don't care if a player gets overshot during the game or bonus balled on the way out. There is never an excuse for shooting after your out and walking off the field.

It happens. the only thing to do is to let the ref know so he can watch to see if it is someone purpously doing it.

WTB: RT (Robtown) Valve/hammer kit for 04 Excalibur

WTB: Racegun autocockers
diesel_fireman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Get shot. Simple

Run off the field As quick as possible. End of story.

People who stay in the bunker after getting shot promote getting shot more
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #45 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Been doing this for 20+ years, and I can say I have shot a dead player or two - but it was always by accident, they didn't have a barrel cover, they were in the line of fire of another player, or... they scared the piss out of me coming around a corner and I shot reactionary. I have never streamed 10+ balls into anyone on accident.

I have been lit up as a dead player as well, heck, earlier this year I was walking off and I heard a 3 count from behind me and a group of 6 players charged shooting, I ducked my head and took one to the base of the skull and it seriously knocked me out, I went down flat on the ground. Wrong place, wrong time, I didn't blame anyone. Other times it was new players that had adrenaline flowing. And a few times it was just some ahole that wanted to shoot anyone he saw. That's the reason it can be 10 on ten, but every player on the other team claims they shot 4 people - gotta bolster their numbers somehow.

I have been in situations where the Refs didn't help or do their job however. Big Game Type Event 3 years ago in Michigan, I was behind a pallet with 11 or 12 guys just unloading on my position. I got hit, called out, stood, took 10-12 more shots and ducked back down. 3 refs were standing there off to my right and behind me. I asked for them to call me out so I could get out of there and they seriously refused to come and call me out because they didn't want to get hit coming in. After a few seconds and a few more lumps I did the only thing I could do. Quickly exited the bunker and ran directly toward the 3 refs who got to experience some of my pain.

Unfortunately you will always run into the guys that just like to pull the trigger, guys with complete tunnel vision, and the "If you can't take the pain" guys at these larger events. It's part of gathering lots of playing styles and personalities together in one spot and getting their adrenaline pumping.

Styg

Because sometimes its Good to be Evil

stygshore-feedback
Stygshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I agree that it's disrespectful to shoot someone who obviously has their marker up in the air and is walking out of the game...

But it doesn't bug me so much. I'm a big target, so I expect to get shot up more than I actually do. I'm a clutz so sometimes I walk through some crossfire simply because I don't see my own teammates hiding behind a bunker and getting shot at. Or off the break I'll get shot in the back of the head. Idk.

I'm used to it so it doesn't bug me.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
I play at Liberty outside NYC. Liberty tends to have a solid number of younger, newer players. They tend to stay in the very back of the field, where no play is going on until their team is about to lose the match. During our most recent day of play I had two separate incidents recently that pissed me off a bit.

First time, my brother and I had sprinted to a nice hidden position on the field we were playing. It's a great position for the cover and how much of the field you get an angle on, but it's also so critical for the other team to clear that you tend to take a good deal of fire. So I'm shooting at a few players from the other team when I hear my brother scream in pain behind me. I turn to see how he was hit and see no paint, I ask him if hes in. As I do a rope comes from BEHIND US and catches me on the inner thigh. The local ref told me to ignore the friendly fire (they sometimes do) and play on. So I turned back around and was promptly shot about 15-25 times in the back and ***, no joke. I heard about 5-6 markers firing. Then I hear "I shot him but he didn't go out,"

"HE'S ON YOUR TEAM."
"Oh, oppps. But he's still out."

Number 2. This time we were playing a super brushy field. My brother and I played enough to know there was a short cut to our right 40 on the other side of the field. We told other players to cover the shortcut, but didn't bother doing it ourselves. Middle of the game the other team sneaks onto our right 40, my brother and I are holding the field in the other direction and left perfectly open to the men on our right 40 (old school woody speed ball, not xball). We both start sprinting to a new bunker with cover on the right.

In this bunker are 4 of our younger teammates. I hold up my blue wristband and scream "ON YOUR TEAM". They listen, look at us, lower there 98 custom rentals and open fire. I try to stop running but the mud is too slippery and slide forward, my brother does as well. I hold my footing but he slips and slides into me, all while we continue to take paint from our young teamates. Fully painted we being to walk off the field, as we cross behind the bushes markers raised well above our heads another group of lil tykes on our own team lights us up AGAIN. THE Refs cry that we are out AND on there team, but the fire continues until we sprint full speed out of the field.

This happens on a regular enough basis and I've never considered firing back, or really doing more then calming telling the little ones to "watch the friendly fire" at the start of maps. When it gets really bad I may switch too "try and shoot something other then the backs of our heads" but thats as harsh as i've got. If the kids were more our age though (my brothers 18, i'm 21) I'm not sure i'd have been so calm. (I'm also not sure my hotheaded brother would stay calm if he played a bit more, he's still new enough to follow rules to the letter, but he lacks my devotion to being an "ambassador for the sport" at all costs)
Had something like that happen at a local field several years ago. I was playing with a Zero B Karni and given we were playing with the local tourney guys all the owners were using some form of ramping. Anyways long story short I have a renter over my left shoulder and I'm sitting behind some trees guarding our flag station (which no one has tried to go for that early but gotta have at least 1 person there or well you know what happens) so all of a sudden I feel an ungodly pain in the back of my skull. The kid had fired a full speed shot out of his rental titan that bounced off my skull from inside 8 feet. I was not amused to say the least. His response when I looked over my shoulder was "oops my finger slipped" now this is with a rental with a huge trigger pull so no way was it a slip. I get pissed and I'm ashamed to admit it now but I started fingering my trigger a few shots go towards the flag station and then quick as lightning I pivot on my toe do a 360 spin while firing and cut him across the chest with a rope of at least 10-12. My response after he bitched and moaned was "you say your finger slipped? WELL SO DID MINE! WATCH THE FRIENDLY FIRE!"

Like I said ashamed to admit I lost my cool but at that particular field it was like anything that moved the stupid kids would shoot at even it had their teams armband on it and I was getting more and more pissed with it so someone had to make an example of why you don't shoot at your own team. I'm just glad that I learned from that that people are stupid and that it's not worth getting heated over. I did apologize to the kid later as I felt bad but in the heat of the moment I did what I did. I'm just glad that I've grown from that person into someone who tries to be an ambassador for our sport and i play at a field with people that have the same attitude. I think end of the day real reason that incidents happen (apart from big games where there is lots of paint in the air) is people are too excited to be playing the game and just want to shoot stuff and don't care what ti is.

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.

Last edited by Falcon16; 07-09-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandoman View Post
Alright so, today I went to PB Explosion, to try the new field, and like any game, got tagged out. So I'm walking back to the staging area, and I get lit up. Now, normally, I do expect to get hit by a few stray paintballs, but with concentrated ropes of paint on me, I was not happy, and I did fire back (hitting nothing but thin air with my A5). Anyhow, I got called over by a ref, for shooting people, even though I was, out. I explained what happened, and he did not really care, so I was like, ok, whatever, I'm wrong and I'll just bite my tongue. I left worn out, and disappointed. Shooting someone with their gun in the air, with their hands up, during a paintball team is just as bad as shooting a wounded guy (obviously apples and oranges, but still, if someone is going to shoot at paint me, I'm gonna shoot at them too). Anyhow, I'm leery about going back, this whole 'you determine' the point of surrender is asinine. I've been playing paintball for seven years, so I don't know if this is just a new thing to just not give a damn about your fellow man making it back to the staging area in pain.
I used to ref recreation and professionally (PSP) sounds like the person was just being an ******* who shot you and the ref didn't care about you or his job. The person who lit you up could have been his friend or a regular. I usually came down hard on people who did that. I think your best bet would be to tell the owner about the ref. if the owner doesn't care then don't go back. But if the field is the nicest around then play the game they play - begin over shooting people who piss you off when you get the chance. Understand why you're doing it and don't make it a habit to do it to everyone. What goes around comes around.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

That is one of my worst pet peaves, that while i'm walking with my hands and gun to the sky (not running, but walking, in a very non-aggressive manor) an unbelievably high number of ppl will think i'm a live player and start shooting, until i inform them verbally that they are poorly mistaken. Its even worse when its some of my own team, but because they stopped at the very first bunker...well thats another rant.

Its a symptom of ppl just simply not thinking for themselves...what part of the whole, gun/hands up stance looked soo threatening and aggressive that you had to put 15+ balls at me before i had to yell at you...oh, whats that, i don't have my barrel bag on yet...thats why you shot? (you looked hard enough to see that and still thought the guy who was just at the same starting location as you is trying to take you out by walking back to the deadbox with my hands up?) Sorry, but the first thing i think of doing while getting shot out is not put my barrel bag on instantly, there are a couple things higher on the list of priorities. Funny, how they say thats the reason when half these kids can't remember to put their bags back on before they exit the field.

I think part of it may also stem from a recent trend i've been seeing where some of the slightly experienced players think it is kosher to 'act dead' and do dead-man walks (or very similar) to make every effort to appear 'out' even though they aren't.

There are a couple ppl who i've played with that will do this. With this play style, the only way to be sure (before you get bushwacked by a not-so-dead player) is to shoot suspected 'deads' first, and sort it out later. Not exactly the best play style, but it is one i now use when playing at certain places with certain ppl, b/c they seem to encourage dead-man walks.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #50 (permalink)
is reloading

Paintball is for fun, and getting shot is part of the game. Most players have been overshoot, overshoot somebody else, shoot players who were out, shot refs, and shot their own team mates out.

There are 3 ways to play paintball: straight up, on the line or over the line. the more players who choose to play straight up helps encourage more players to play straight up.

I have had a few days on the field I am not to proud of. But I have also had many more good days.

palerider is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone