mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Cool Tiberius8 - Woot!

I received the Tiberius8 that I picked up from Dave Cameron. My fellow clansman packed it well and she arrived in great shape with all sorts of extra goodies and a pile of those heavy mags.
Thanks Dave!

Anyway, I have had a chance now to shoot this in the backyard (not easy as a full blown music festival is occuring in my neighborhood) and my impression initially is that this is one big sombeetch and to say that it shoots like the world's nicest AGD Sydarm would be a fair putdown to the Tib. It feeds really well and shoots straight (a little low from point of aim, but hard & up to speed), but the sights are terribly imprecise.

My fat little hands barely let me reach the trigger and I cannot drop the mag without using a second hand (my strong hand thumb won't reach the button). The trigger has a ton of take up and exhibits that popping sense of randomness that the early AGD valves demonstrated. As Al said, this is basically like a level10 Sydarm in a funky new case (another put down for the TIB). That said, it is easy to put paint on paint at 15 feet and the gun sips CO2 producing three mags worth of usable and very consistant shots. The consistancy through the duration of the 12g is most impressive to me. It gets great shots and I do not perceive very much shootdown during rapid shooting.

I am interested in hearing thoughts, stories, experiences etc., from those who have played with these guns. I have read most of the worthwhile reviews online, including Meph's fine SCP review, but I am interested in a slightly more field-based perspective.

I have a number of holster possibilities, (including purchasing one of those sweet rigs from Windwalker) and three extra mags to carry somehow. Dave sent me a handful of 8rd tubes as well.

Anyway, pics will follow (as soon as my 2way cable gets here this weekend) and I will make some comparisons size wise to a Nelspot and a PTX for your references. Size-wise, it feels bigger than it really is. By that I mean, it is shorter (forward of the trigger) than either a PTX or a Squall. It is almost exactly the same length overall as the Nelspot, though it is "taller" (above your fist) than the Nelspot. The PTX and the Tib have virtually the same vertical dimensions, even with the top tube magazine of the PTX, but the PTX has an overall much more nose heavy feel. The Tib, even with loaded mag is lighter than all but the PTX and the PTX is only slightly lighter in fact, and feels heavier because of the front heaviness.

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by Drum; 08-09-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Nice review. Thanks.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

The grips are definitely big. I am a large individual that works construction and I could release clips one handed(I can cock splatmasters with the same hand that pulls the trigger), but I don't think anyone with much smaller hands could have.

I was surprised with the accuracy of these guns. I had a very much point and click feel to the one I had, ball on ball.

The only thing I can tell you about maintenance is that "Don't take it apart if it ain't broke". They are a pain to put back together the first time.

As far as a holster, I never used one. With the barrel bag on it I couldn't get a good fit. I only used this as a primary so I didn't really need someplace to put it during games. Pick up one of the 3 mag holsters that Tag makes. They seem to be the best solution for carrying them.

Just my 2 cents.
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Simple solution to your shooting problems- As soon as they start playing music, rip away.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Hehehe,
Actually, it isn't the noise I am worried about, but the legion of people who are trudging back and forth past my house and and up and down the alley in the back.

The epicenter of this huge festival is on city land (normally peaceful and quiet) which is about 100 yard from my house.

Agreed on the short range accuracy. I am looking forward to trying this at range and against actual player targets.

D.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

i know there were issues w/ improperly inserting the mag. if it seems wonky, don't jam it in again.
the mag may have released the first ball (in the breech) and slamming the mag home again makes a big mess.
also, w/ the mag under a litle tension holding the balls in, be careful what is near the ejecting end of the mag.
the right pressure will release all the balls at once... (usually into a pocket or someplace worse).
if i were to use a TIB8 on the field, i'd have only 2 mags on me, one in the pistol and one in my non-shooting hand...
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Someone found a decent solution to the spare mag issue in a bikini-style scope cover that would prevent accidental ejection.

But I can see your point that seems a little bit fragile.

Does anyone know where these guns are manufactured? I do not seem to find the usual, "made in China" or "Assembled in Mexico" markings anywhere on this gear. I know that the Tib people are in Indiana, but where is the gun made?

D.

Last edited by Drum; 08-09-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'd say your analysis is spot on. I too have small hands and can't reach the mag release. But, I've got to say that I have been impressed with the accuracy of mine....it's darn near a nail driver. The only draw backs I think are the size, magazine cost and the allen wrench....but, from what I have been told they're fixing that aspect of it. Still an awesome marker!

Someone mentioned the barrel bag. I have spoken with a few scenario coordinators and field owners and have developed a safety strap that is inside the holster covering the barrel end and all have approved of it...that gets you away from having to carry the bag around and worry about safety. The strap is double riveted in and is close to 3/16's to 1/8 inch thick leather that you will not be able to shoot through. This is available free upon request on my holsters, as I take safety very seriously.

Windwalker
Windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

That sounds like a great feature for your holster!!!!!

Thanks bro!!
E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I could take a pic of the safety strap installed on AgentSmith's holster once I finish dyeing it if anyone is interested????

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone