mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Igloo member

Does Paintball Have "Pro-Owned" Pedigree?

I was browsing around the interwebs and found this gem on CC (Erryone lone Custom Cockers right? Its basically where the MCB cocker whores all migrate to in the off season)

and I found this:
Sonny Lopez LA Hitmen Vertabrae

TL;DR - Sonny's pumped Vertebrae cocker on sale for like 1200$

For anyone wondering, I actually had the pleasure of meeting the fine sir at Carnage and LL6 last year, and I also had the pleasure of watching him play and He Genuinely Is a wonderful person to talk to, and to play with.

That being said, My question is Not on the Vertebrae with a pump kit, Its, If a Professional (Assuming we have a tier of professional players) Owns a piece of equipment, Does the value increase?

We see this ALL the time in other sports, NHL, NBA, MLB (Which I think should be called NBL but what ever) National Cricket leagues, and So Forth.

However, Does paintball have this? I'm thinking that while, No it shouldnt, Because mechanically there is Zero change in this Vertebrae (BTW it Shoots literal lasers for that price) But if we do make this "pro owned price inflation" a real aspect, then are we taking another step forward to becoming "like" those other sports.

Anyways, enough of me bantering, Curious to see all of your opinions on the subject.

(Also, Note - I'm not trying to double up on the vertebrae cocker, Just looking for opinion on the subject, im assuming somewhere on this forum that same link is posted, I am trying not to double post up )
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Mabye if it was a unique gun

Anybody can buy a vetabrae used and slap a check it kit on it

Some of the Houston heat guns iirc are rare lazering

Which makes it worth more but not triple the price
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I was browsing around the interwebs and found this gem on CC (Erryone lone Custom Cockers right? Its basically where the MCB cocker whores all migrate to in the off season)

and I found this:
Sonny Lopez LA Hitmen Vertabrae

TL;DR - Sonny's pumped Vertebrae cocker on sale for like 1200$

For anyone wondering, I actually had the pleasure of meeting the fine sir at Carnage and LL6 last year, and I also had the pleasure of watching him play and He Genuinely Is a wonderful person to talk to, and to play with.

That being said, My question is Not on the Vertebrae with a pump kit, Its, If a Professional (Assuming we have a tier of professional players) Owns a piece of equipment, Does the value increase?

We see this ALL the time in other sports, NHL, NBA, MLB (Which I think should be called NBL but what ever) National Cricket leagues, and So Forth.

However, Does paintball have this? I'm thinking that while, No it shouldnt, Because mechanically there is Zero change in this Vertebrae (BTW it Shoots literal lasers for that price) But if we do make this "pro owned price inflation" a real aspect, then are we taking another step forward to becoming "like" those other sports.

Anyways, enough of me bantering, Curious to see all of your opinions on the subject.

(Also, Note - I'm not trying to double up on the vertebrae cocker, Just looking for opinion on the subject, im assuming somewhere on this forum that same link is posted, I am trying not to double post up )
Perhaps it increases it some but not like it people seem to think it does.

For instance I can buy a Miguel Cabrera game used bat at Comerica Park (where nothing is cheap) for $400 (might be more now but that was what it was the beginning of the year). Miguel Cabrera is, without question, the premier hitter in the American League and for most people all of baseball. Further this bat is authenticated by MLB as being what it is sold as being. I can buy bats from other players for less than $200.

The bats are used and often broken so lets count them as having $0 value. That means that a "pro used" adds $200 (or less) to $400 in value.

Yet in paintball "pro-used" is expected to add even more value. There is an error, in my opinion, in logic. Being used by a pro paintball player does not cater to as large, or as weatlhy, of an audience. It should not add more value than pro used in other sports.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

The only "Pro" guns I'd pay more for is something that was exclusive to the team, or has a cool story behind it.

For example, I just picked this up:

Hurricanes Ego 10. Only 6 made supposedly because they switched from Eclipse to Dye that year, so they never went into full production. Of course I didn't pay a ridiculous premium like on that vertebrae either though :X.
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

I rather have an industry leader owned gun than a pro owned gun. I think it has to do with the age of the sport as well as how large the paintball scene is. Woodsballers probably could care less if it's pro owned.

In most other sports, the pro owned equipment is usually purchased by fans who don't play/would never use the equipment.
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Pro owned gear has often been abused too, think about how hard those guys play with their gear, over and over again. So I'd probably pass on a pro-owned gun from that perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

I think rarity adds value. If it is just a pro owned stock ego whatever, it is probably abused but teched well. If it is a unique team specific gun I can see it adding some value, and if its a completely custom mill job for a team, such as an entropy matrix I can see it costing a good amount.

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1291 View Post
I rather have an industry leader owned gun than a pro owned gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer50505 View Post
I think rarity adds value. If it is just a pro owned stock ego whatever, it is probably abused but teched well. If it is a unique team specific gun I can see it adding some value, and if its a completely custom mill job for a team, such as an entropy matrix I can see it costing a good amount.
both of these...

i'd pay for team milling, not team ano.

i have an 05 xsv ego hanging on my wall.... not pro owned but pro edition milling

i'd pay for jack woods personal ego, i'd rock budd orrs personal autococker
i'd gladly shoot mike's phantom, etc....
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Is it possible that this started when "pro-owned" was code for "functioning cheater board" before ramping was legal?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Is it possible that this started when "pro-owned" was code for "functioning cheater board" before ramping was legal?
Those particular Pros are not that well thought of.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone