mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

The Magic Box was a gimmick from the get-go, and like several other Smart Parts products, was likely stolen (in one manner of speaking or another) from the original inventor.

The "original" Magic Box was, as the story goes, developed by a Brit, who called it Black Box. SP picked up the idea, called it the Magic Box, and marketed the bejeebers out of it.

All it does is adds volume to the Automag's dump chamber. Period, end of discussion. That "box" isn't a box- it's just a clamp or cover. The rear pipe is just an extension for the usual 'Mag input line. It's nothing more than an 1-1/2" long pipe nipple.

The front pipe is the same thing, except it's not a pipe, it's a cap- it's hollow, but not all the way through. It just screws into a hole tapped in the 'Mag body, into the dump chamber, and adds a CC or two to the chamber volume.

The "box" is just a cover that clamps the two pipes together. All it is, is a milled aluminum block, two screws, and a sticker that says "do not remove".

Adding the volume to the dump chamber simply reduced the pressure needed to fire a ball- as I recall, it dropped the usual around-400-psi op pressure all the way down to about 350 psi.

It also had the trade-off of reducing the gas efficiency- again, if I recall correctly, the average player got about 10% fewer shots per tank.

Any other claims- that it was quieter, that it produced better range, or improved accuracy, were of course just more of the usual SP marketing bulls**t.

Your "venturi" bolt, if it's silver, it's probably a TASO. If it's gold-colored, or has splotches of gold coloring, it's a Pro-Team. Both are almost worthless, and if you plan to actually use the gun, I strongly recommend replacing it with at least a proper AGD hardnose- you should be able to find a good used one for a few bucks.

The bottomline probably originally used a small 6-32 or even 4-40 setscrew, about 3/8" or 1/2" long, as the pin valve depressor pin. If you can find the right one and install it, you can use that bottomline with a conventional modern screw-in HPA tank.

Other than that, leave it as-is, go play and mop some newbs with a gun older than they are.

Doc.
DocsMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just wanted to see the price that the marker would go for. I'll probably keep the marker since it would be a hassle to attempt and sell it. I do have a question though. If I change out the expansion thru-grip, do I have to replace it with a HPR? Or will a normal expansion chamber work?
yoshiburgerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiburgerz View Post
If I change out the expansion thru-grip, do I have to replace it with a HPR? Or will a normal expansion chamber work?
-No, you don't need a regulator. The gun has it's own reg built in, and likes to see a nice high input pressure. (800-ish PSI.)

There's lots of gas-thru grips you can slap on there, or, with a little more effort in searching, old larger expansion chambers you can use.

But if you're going to stick with HPA (strongly recommended) then any decent gas-thru will be fine.

Doc.
DocsMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiburgerz View Post
I just wanted to see the price that the marker would go for. I'll probably keep the marker since it would be a hassle to attempt and sell it. I do have a question though. If I change out the expansion thru-grip, do I have to replace it with a HPR? Or will a normal expansion chamber work?
$100

Don't install an HPR, the gun already has one built in. Use a gas-thru grip or expansion chamber.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone