mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Is shooting through cracks wrong?

No, I don't mean a crack on my bunker.

I mean when you see a guy across the field behind a badly set up bunker or something with holes in it, crack between barrels and the such.
One of my favorite things to do is snipe people between these cracks when they think they are still hidden. What I'm starting to see is a lot of people are starting to just stay in when they get shot through a hole or crack, saying it's not fair.

I've got one guy on the team i'm on who is the worst for it, I'll constantly shoot him between two barrels or under the car and he'll just play on or tell the ref that he got shot through a gap between the barrels and the ref will tell him to play on.

And on the other side of things while i'm here, is shooting through a crack in your own bunker fair either, I dont mean blind firing, i mean when you can see through the crack as well. One field I go to in particular uses a speedball field as part of a rec game, problem is one of the deadboxes is made of paintball netting and people will religously get behind it (It's just short of middle field) and shoot through a 1 inch hole just large enough to fit their barrel through, I say it's dirty, but the refs there will support them for doing it.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I love doing what you describe. I think it is a perfectly viable tactic. If you aren't aware enough of the bunker you are in to know there are obvious holes in it, then that is your fault. Cover is never perfect unless you are playing speedball with the silly blowup bunkers.

There is sometimes confusion at our field regarding this. The refs will say no shooting through cracks or holes referring to blind fire. However many people including the newbs think it means all cracks. Our refs are usually smart enough to know the difference on the field though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I think the field should declare the rule one way or another. Because we never wanted to hear about how that hit did not count because it went through a crack this rule was described as "crack kills".

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

last field I played at said you had to be able to put your fist through it before you can stick your barrel through it and shoot. Gun hits don't count so its impossible to get someone if they are shooting through anything smaller than fist size even if they can see where they are shooting.

the rule works okay and yeah people do seem to play on more when getting shot through small openings. I guess they figure its harder for people to see them wipe a hit when they are totally buried in a bunker.

Misc Sale: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...yder-more.html

wanted:
Parts: Left feed sterling body with detent, sheridan valve tool, SP easy on/off asa in black or chrome/polished clear.
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Money Spending Enthusiast

I never shoot out of a hole that I don't think I could easily got shot back from.

I will regularly shoot at a crack. I do it less when the person will actually try to snap with me, more if all a person does is sit in their bunker. I normally lose the snap fight with the people I play with anyways.

ULE Body, Angel Parts, Barrels, Packs

#MarIsAwesome
Keys_JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I routinely try to get people through cracks and holes on bunkers, or if I can see their feet on the bottom I go for them.

As for putting your barrel through a crack of your own bunker, I don't like it. It is dangerous and people often can't see what they are shooting at. I personall like the way that OSG paintball does it. The hole has to be big enough to put your fist through in order for you to stick your barrel out of and shoot. However you can stand back and shoot through the crack without putting your barrel through it.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Shooting into cracks = yes. Shooting out through cracks = no. There is a difference between cover and concealment. Cover protects from enemy fire and concealment only hides you, even if albeit partially. If you thread a shot in a crack of a bunker and tag someone they should be out. What is the difference if you get them through a hole in the brush? Is it just the expectation that they should be safe behind a bunker? Sounds like guys at your field need to lay off of the excuses and pony up on the skills.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

My interpretation of the "Crack Rule" is for outgoing shots.

If you're capable of placing a ball in a small gap from 20+ feet away, Good for you!
I think you deserve the kill.

The rule is to prevent people for sticking their barrel out of a hole and basically blind firing.
Rule should not apply to incoming balls.

They think that they're hiding well enough and you did not see the hit.
Little do they realize that you're aiming for that small gap.

Let it be known that you are a Marksman Extraordinaire and you will eliminate them where ever they are, when they least expect it.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Those cracks do provide an offensive advantage and a defensive liability. No I do not think you should be shooting out of them but many of us have learned to use them to visual advantage. Anything that provides an advantage in the game also provides a disadvantage - in this case you can get shot through them. Its a game. Your hit, it breaks, your out. Come play next game.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Never heard of any 'crack rules' ever. Just last weekend I did both. I see no problems with either. Unless the hole is only big enough for a barrel to fit through, and you cant even see what your shooting at. And only a noob would do that anyway...
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone