mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
unwitting 3rd party to stolen equipment

so now what?

i got 2 angels from a friend of a friend (go figure.. its not craigslist that screws me)

its and A1 and a wonderboy A1 Fly, i got them for a suspiciously good price, but figured nothing of it.. guy might have bills. and angels are kind of a pain in the *** to move

have a friend who is trying to get back into paintball, i have been hooking him up on the cheap with guns i have been getting, sold the pair to him for 450.. i make a little, he gets a good deal.. we are all happy

hes at the field, and the owner says "i guy that used to work here had a gun JUST LIKE THAT that gotten stolen from his garage about a year ago"

so... i think i just sold someone stolen goods.. the story from the friend that connected me to the guy is that the guns were left in a loaner car and unclaimed. he begged and pleaded for the contents to be released to him.. after a year...

so, i requested my friend (the one that i sold the guns to) to get a copy of the police report (which has been stated that there was one filed) before he hands over anything. as possession is 9/10ths of the law as ive always been told

i dont want to dime out my friend, but at the same time, i was subtly trying to get the dudes name and number, and he wouldnt give it up.. so if the cops come to me, im NOT getting in the **** for this.. and i will be giving up my friend, with "he is the guy that hooked me up with the guy i bought them from"

so.. how screwed am i?

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass N Wood Fan
On a scale if 1 to 10 youre 9/10 screwdness but youre not completely screwed... Just tell your friends that the guns were stolen and tell him he should speak to the police about his "friend". Chances are he will understand. Thats about all you can do at this point
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Terminus Est

i doubt the cops will bother with this, esspecially if its a year old. they may make a phone call or 2 but thats it (in my experience)

i wouldnt sweat it too much. life happend and it was not your fault. just do what you can (or feel morally obligated to do).

good luck man
SKULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Unless homeboy has the serial numbers for the guns that were stolen, he has no proof that they were his as they're both production guns and relatively common.

I'd say you shouldn't lose any sleep unless you violated one of the cardinal buying rules:

1. Do I know this item is stolen?
2. Am I paying fair market value?

I personally define number 2 as anything less than what the item is worth in scrap/parts. If I'm paying anything more than $50 for an item, I consider it fair market value based on the fact that I'm likely buying it untested.

Important note about number 1: Unless the seller says they are stolen or somehow indicates that they might be, don't be concerned.

You won't go to jail but your friend may have to give the guns back.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_10 View Post
Unless homeboy has the serial numbers for the guns that were stolen, he has no proof that they were his as they're both production guns and relatively common.

I'd say you shouldn't lose any sleep unless you violated one of the cardinal buying rules:

1. Do I know this item is stolen?
2. Am I paying fair market value?

I personally define number 2 as anything less than what the item is worth in scrap/parts. If I'm paying anything more than $50 for an item, I consider it fair market value based on the fact that I'm likely buying it untested.

Important note about number 1: Unless the seller says they are stolen or somehow indicates that they might be, don't be concerned.

You won't go to jail but your friend may have to give the guns back.
Bingo! Unless he has the serial numbers and a police report that documents the serial numbers and they match to the guns you sold he's up a creek. as JC stated posession is 9/10 and for something like a paintball marker that is mass produced unless you have serial numbers or other identifying marks to prove it's yours (ie I know a guy that engraved his name on the inside of the roto breech of his LCD along with the purchase date and shop name he bought it from) you're up a creek. I'd say sleep soundly and if cops show up then deal with it otherwise tell the guy that unless he has the serial numbers and can prove the guns are his he can piss off

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Also do keep in mind that "Hey, those are mine, and were stolen from me awhile ago!" is a horrible scam that some people fall for. A lot of people will give in to someone's claim over something like this because they fear they can get in trouble for 'possession of stolen goods'.

The other side of the coin here is that it is a good reminder to document the serial numbers of important items you own. I should likely update my photography gear list this weekend.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugler View Post
On a scale if 1 to 10 youre 9/10 screwdness but youre not completely screwed... Just tell your friends that the guns were stolen and tell him he should speak to the police about his "friend". Chances are he will understand. Thats about all you can do at this point
being out money is of no consequence.. being in trouble legally is what im concerned about

and im sure we will get something figured out, i just wanted to get my situation out in the open to see if anyone had any more advice for me

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Did you steal the guns? Did you know they were stolen when you bought them?

No. Don't worry about it, life's too short.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm no attorney, but I don't see that you've done anything wrong. And I'm completely paranoid about everything.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
They are angels so they are worth their weight in aluminum -_-

If they don't get a copy of the police report then they weren't stolen?

Plus unless the are 1/1 or have the serial numbers who knows
shredxcam is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone