mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Are we really that good?

One of the things that I see, A LOT, come up on threads is about how when people are jerks other players are able to make sure they shoot them out off the break, constantly bunker them, and in general make the life of the jerk miserable while playing within the rules.

I played tournament paintball for awhile. I know some players who were class A jerks (sometimes I was one of them even). Some of these players were also very willing and able to cheat. The problem was, even without the advantages of attitude and outright cheating, they were incredibly good.

Even when I was playing all the time and as good as I could be I could not have controlled what they did on the field by making sure I got them out or made their day miserable. The absolute best I could do is keep them in a bunker but even that failed sometimes and that was in a controlled setting such as a tournament. These guys were GOOD - they were far better than I was and I was slightly better than average.

So are some of you really that good? Can you really with a pump, or if things get really out of hand with the electro sitting in your trunk, go up against these guys and totally dominate them or is this simply great hyperbole?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've always been curious about this myself too.

I know for sure I couldn't do any of the stuff that is talked about when I play.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I suck at paintball. Hell I'm only on the team because I bring food and beer.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass N Wood Fan
Just do what they do in tourneys... When bunkering someone shoot them AND run all the way fown the field shooting out as many people possible regardless of how many times you are hit
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Hell I'm lucky if I can shoot myself on the field let alone someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
I feel the anonymity of a message board, any message board, allows posters to be who they want to be. A smoker, a joker, a real estate broker or even simply the most dominate person at his or her local field.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
I suck at paintball. Hell I'm only on the team because I bring food and beer.
I generally drove and brought reliable transportation .

Seriously. Some of these stories go to the effect of something like this:

The entire division 1 tournament team was there using the rec-players as practice. I normally bring my CCM or electro but all I had was my goblin. I switched to the team that was getting beat up on, shot their back player in the finger which caused him to shoot his front players and then I bunkered the mid player and got the last backplayer to surrender. I repeated this every game until they started being more friendly or went home frustrated.

It leaves me going - I'm staying away from those MCB players because I won't get to play at all. They are paintball gods.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Last edited by Lohman446; 08-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I started videoing so I could see if I was making the right plays. It's also a good way to measure how things go. I've gone days where I didn't hit anyone, and then there are days when my private game teammates are lucky if I leave anyone for them to shoot at.

If I get shot, and I eliminated a player already, that's decent. If I'm in at the end of the game, that's good, better if I got somebody. If I get out and didn't get anyone, not so good.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_10 View Post
I feel the anonymity of a message board, any message board, allows posters to be who they want to be. A smoker, a joker, a real estate broker or even simply the most dominate person at his or her local field.
I've been doing the internet wrong. I barely play paintball (haven't in the last year), and am not very good when I do play.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I started videoing so I could see if I was making the right plays. It's also a good way to measure how things go. I've gone days where I didn't hit anyone, and then there are days when my private game teammates are lucky if I leave anyone for them to shoot at.

If I get shot, and I eliminated a player already, that's decent. If I'm in at the end of the game, that's good, better if I got somebody. If I get out and didn't get anyone, not so good.
I used to hope for one memorable game / play / strategy / comment per day of play. A lot of times I had to settle for comments or things that would have gone on the blooper reel.

I recall one time in the middle of a game:

Me: Russ... I can't move
Russ: What do you want me to do about it?
Me: No idea. Hey, where do you want to go for dinner on the way home?

Traditionally the worst move of the day had to buy dinner. Very seldom was there even any debate that I was buying dinner. Even my moves that worked only worked because noone saw them coming. Describing myself as slightly better than average was probably a LONG reach.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone