mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Probably

Let's talk about timmies. Help a noob.

My friend is pressuring me to get a "real" gun, something like a cyborg rx or 2010 ego or whatever. Something that could be used in a tourney. So in order to piss him off I want to get a timmy. Always loved the timmies, think they look awesome.

Obviously there are different generations. And I'm looking for a cheap one, like under 200. I also want one that ramps.

I guess my questions are:

1) Which timmies are there in that price range?

2) I heard some generations had certain problems. Which generations should I stay away from?

3) When I'm buying a timmy, what questions should I ask the owner? What parts could mess up that would be expensive to replace?
PlawB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Personally..... only Timmy's to avoid for a new are classics because they are clunky big and gen 4's which are ripper 3s, infamous, and empire 2's. They have a bit of an odd valve design which either works good or is terrible. Plus there is a part prone to breakage in the valve if not well looked after.

Gen 2 and gen 3 you can't go wrong. Still my favorite all time guns.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Probably

What's the price difference between the gen 2 and gen 3?

edit: and do they both come with ramping stock?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

Had a lasoya 2k2, easy to mantain, consitant, smooth.

Make sure your ram bumper is good ( small rubber piece in the back of the ram that cushions the ram when it comes back ).

Ask about the frame to body screws, make sure the body is not stripped.

I'd look for a 2k2.

Gen 2 pricing: around 130-200.

Gen 3 pricing: around 170-250.
Step 2: wait
---
No bunkers necessary, and your yard will look lovely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehSpiff View Post
so i super durped and there was no oring on the top i dont know why i though there was lol

Now that i have said that on the internet it will never be forgotten X_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
48 weeks.
Hang your head in shame, you missed it. It was magnificent.
10 hail Chads and caress the nearest paintball gun in penitence.
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Hate the old timmies, too many hoses and the clamshell gripframe annoyed me to no end.
If you want a timmy that badly, do yourself a favor and just scratch the extra cash for a gen6.

It's my opinion so blah...

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
OP is an idiot.

I've been telling him to buy an 06 or 07 Cyborg, NOT an RX or Ego 10. I played a game with his PMR this weekend and realized that he really needs to buy a better gun.

If OP thinks buying an Intimidator will somehow piss me off, he is surely mistaken an really needs to take a step back and reevaluate his entire life.

Also, just so everyone knows OP's real name is Toby so he's automatically suspect. Don't believe a word of what he says.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_10 View Post
OP is an idiot.

I've been telling him to buy an 06 or 07 Cyborg, NOT an RX or Ego 10. I played a game with his PMR this weekend and realized that he really needs to buy a better gun.

If OP thinks buying an Intimidator will somehow piss me off, he is surely mistaken an really needs to take a step back and reevaluate his entire life.

Also, just so everyone knows OP's real name is Toby so he's automatically suspect. Don't believe a word of what he says.
muhahhahaha i can feel your pain!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

The 2k5s and the alias are pretty solid as long as you don't tune them too tight. It's when you go looking for max efficiency, minimum dwell, and minimum lpr pressure that they can be real finicky. A used alias is pretty cheap lately. IOG still has lot of good info on those.

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 08-24-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: too
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pump Convert

I would say a Gen 3 Timmy is on par with a Borg. A Gen 3 timmy can keep up with pretty much anything.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlawB View Post
1) Which timmies are there in that price range?

2) I heard some generations had certain problems. Which generations should I stay away from?

3) When I'm buying a timmy, what questions should I ask the owner? What parts could mess up that would be expensive to replace?
1) For under $200 you can get a beater gen3 or a decent gen2, If you want PSP legal ramping, you'll want to get a marker with a gen2 style WAS 2.9 board or a flashed gen3 1.5/1.7 frenzy board, the WAS board will be the easier of the 2 to come by (you can also get a WAS 2.6-2.8 and have it flashed for 2.9 code @ IOG forums; or you can get a gen3 frenzy board flashed @ BLAST for the latest code). You can also try getting a virtue, 7th element or tadao board (gen3, gen3 and gen2-3 respectively); or if you like to tinker, you can get a UTB and wire it up yourself:

If any kind of ramping is ok, frenzy 124.7 onwards has 15 BPS ramping (this code is available in gen2 and gen3 boards).

2) Gen4's have a balanced valve that takes some getting used to, it's quite a bit more temperamental than the non-balanced valves in all other generations. If you're up to the challenge and don't mind it being over budget ($250-$300), a gen4 is still a great marker, considerably smoother than gen1-3 markers and if properly tuned, still smoother than gen5/6 (though a little more weight helps too).

3) This part I don't feel has been addressed as in depth as it could have, I would personally ask (I'd inspect rather than asking, if they're not keen on opening the clamshell frame for you that could be a red flag):
  1. what gen the solenoid is
  2. if it's got the standard barbs for the 1st run of gen2's or the high flow barbs that came in the later models
  3. if it's a gen2, if they have any spare ram bumpers and/or poppet seats (not that it needs replacing often but it's over 10 years old if it's got the stock one)
  4. I'd ask to see what version board it is and have them operate the board menu (to make sure the membrane pad is working correctly, that's the electronic component that wears out the fastest)
  5. look for dead pixels on the screen
  6. have them air it up and check for leaks
  7. make sure it doesn't have an evil ram/cap or front block (the ram/cap needs to be modded to work right and the front block is not as stable as the standard gen2/3 blocks, shorter shank)
  8. make sure the eyes work
  9. make sure that dwell is under 10ms (if it's anywhere over, it might mean that the marker has not been well maintained or the 'noid coil is dying)
The more expensive parts that sometimes need to be replaced are boards and solenoids, I've been reading of solenoids going out lately and I've had a couple of gen2 'noids go out on me, so I favor gen3 'noids (all grey) if I have to get the stock ones (there are also race 'noids and Mac43's but either requires a WAS, Tadao or UT-board to work properly). Membrane pads are a more common item in need of replacement and supply is drying up so get a spare as soon as you can.

'Noid's are usually $25-$45 used (gen2 and gen3-6 respectively) and $70+ new
Boards are usually $25-$85 used (gen2 frenzy-gen2 Tadao, gen3 boards should be $45-$65)
Membranes are usually $15-$20 (gen2-gen3)

Have fun.

Last edited by timekeeper; 08-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone