mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Being a college student with limited "play" funds, a build will allow you to pick up parts here and there as cash allows. That's what I'm doing and almost finished one build (my budget build) and have another one started. Doing a pump means you don't have to pick up all the pneumatics (or time it) and that will probably be easier. I choose to build an autococker because I really enjoy building them and working on them so getting to the end is half the fun for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
I'm in college, 17 units/6 courses this semester. Working part time. A few side odd jobs depending on the pay.

I think i'm pretty close to your situation. Maybe a bit older.
This. I'm also in college (due out hopefully next year), part time job with a $300 a month salary, still live with my parents (go on make fun of me... it's a latin american thing) so all I really pay for are college (and that's with a scholarship covering 60% tuition), gas/car maintenance and some food. I still manage to save about $30 a month and I'm currently building an NXT shocker from parts bit by bit; got an eigenbolt first, just picked up a drive train and manifold, I'll be hunting for a body next month and by this year's end I should have a frame and possibly a board/'noid.

Come up with a budget at the beginning of the month and stick to it, sure you might have to sacrifice some fun now for more fun later, but it's worth it in the end.

If you do build, you'll spend more, but it'll be a tailor made marker for you, I'm willing to pay a premium for this and then sell the parts I don't like/use, maybe this method isn't for you...

Be warned though building markers can become addictive, this shocker is my 5th build in as many years.

I'll be waiting until I'm done with college to pick up some of the more expensive older markers (closer, droid, vice, karnivor) and some of the less expensive not so old markers (Axe, base model torque).
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Igloo member

Yea, I was curious to see if its possible to fit the Empire Sniper, or the resurrection frame on a regular cocker body. ANS has the parts for the Resurrection frame, toss on a Sexy ASA, Maybe play with different parts, CCM internals for sure.
I dont know where the build will take me.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Before you build, I would pick up a used S6...unless it is really about the build. IMHO, any used cocker will probably be cheaper than you build. The whole build will probably not be worth the sum of the parts.

The J4 will probably have a $1000+ price tag....there are a lot of electros that do the same thing for a lot less. I would pick up an used 06/07 Borg and you are way ahead of the game. Or a DM3...or used Ego. Resale on electros is horrible....pick up a used Viking! Viking/Borg > DM3 > Ego....my take! Flamesuit on!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post
Before you build, I would pick up a used S6...unless it is really about the build. IMHO, any used cocker will probably be cheaper than you build. The whole build will probably not be worth the sum of the parts.

The J4 will probably have a $1000+ price tag....there are a lot of electros that do the same thing for a lot less. I would pick up an used 06/07 Borg and you are way ahead of the game. Or a DM3...or used Ego. Resale on electros is horrible....pick up a used Viking! Viking/Borg > DM3 > Ego....my take! Flamesuit on!
Agreed. The S5 and the SS-25 are also great choices.

Building your own markers are a good way to show your individuality and creativeness. Although the majority of people building their own markers including myself, are only "assembling" different parts of the puzzle to create a franken build. They all start looking similar in the end. CP this, CCM that, it doesn't necessarily stand out from the flock in my honest opinion. Resale on said franken builds are just as bad. (Resale in general is bad*) No one cares about the time and effort you've spent on the marker. They're just interested in buying parts of your marker to complete their own projects.

Hats off to the true enthusiasts that are machining and modifying everything on their own.

Building is fun. If you're really about the build then I say enjoy. But if you're trying to build the best, I say good luck.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone