mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Igloo member

Wait for the New gun, Or Build a Cocker?

Hey guys, was curious, (This is General paintball chat right? So we can discuss and enjoy our topics)

I have a Phantom That I'v been considering selling for the longest time, (fancy phantom, I have asked in the appraisals thread for a price, but all the people seemed to be on vacay)

With some time, (A year of working while going to school) the off-season, some entertainment. I Will be in a position to do a summers build.
My original plan was to buy one of those 50$ cocker bodys from PBgateway they have, find a frame, trigger, parts internals and a barrel. And then anno it all together and pump it. and have fun, (Figured by the time all said and done... 350-400$ spent on the pump?)

However, Then all of a sudden this company called J4 comes to living legends and lets me hold one, annnnnnd now im in confusion.

Do I build a pump?
Do I save a bit more, Sell my semi and purchase this glory filled J4 of awesomeness.

Im sure some of you guys have been in this position. and I was curious to see what your thoughts are.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

You sound much more excited about the torque so that's the direction I would go if I was in your position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
There's never a timeframe for personal builds. Get the torque. Love it, hate it, sell it. You can always build one at a later date.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Igloo member

^ While I may not have a "Long" time frame, I defiantly have a financial one, Once university hits (Few weeks) My spending money becomes Saving money for making me live.
I can usually stash a few bucks here and there away and by the end of the year have a couple hundred to start the summer with.

With the extra funds from other markers, I could plan to afford both, but it would take 2 years, one for each.

The J4 is literally the newest thing to come to paintball markers in a few years, It is actually a Real game changer (IMO) So im super pumped about it, However I would also like to just chill and play some open class lazy pump. see where it takes me.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pump Convert

IMO, build a cocker and buy a used J4 later down the road if you really want it.

I refuse to buy anything new now.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gun Designer

wait on the J4 being a new platform there are bound to be issues down the road so wait for it to be out a year then get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Whenever I hear people complain about their lack of finance it usually stems from poor money management and or family obligations. I'm not interested in prying, but if you're unable to make a decision on a purchase then maybe you just wait. Save your money. Let it accumulate to an appropriate amount so when you do buy something, it wouldn't seem like a huge dent to your savings.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Igloo member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
Whenever I hear people complain about their lack of finance it usually stems from poor money management and or family obligations. I'm not interested in prying, but if you're unable to make a decision on a purchase then maybe you just wait. Save your money. Let it accumulate to an appropriate amount so when you do buy something, it wouldn't seem like a huge dent to your savings.
?? You mean University? part times jobs dont exactly toss money at you
Yea thats Why I said time is needed.
this would be for 2014, not anytime soon.

So far people seem to think the J4's will have issues (Which im sure there will bumps in the road. thats where everyone learns from)
I'm all for buying used, maybe the best bet is wait a couple months after release and see what happens.

For now, I just gather information. opinions from the crowed. I am capable of making a choice, and acting on it.
However I also like to see what others think, sometimes people offer good advice, maybe someone was in the same situation I am, pondering to pick up something fancy, or build something less over time.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
?? You mean University? part times jobs dont exactly toss money at you
Yea thats Why I said time is needed.

For now, I just gather information. opinions from the crowed. I am capable of making a choice, and acting on it.
However I also like to see what others think, sometimes people offer good advice, maybe someone was in the same situation I am, pondering to pick up something fancy, or build something less over time.
I'm in college, 17 units/6 courses this semester. Working part time. A few side odd jobs depending on the pay.

I think i'm pretty close to your situation. Maybe a bit older.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I can only see two possibilities; you get both, or you get the one that fits your style of play best. A J4 should be a long ways from pump-cocker-sniper.

When you buy a J4, that will probably be the end of it. You'll play with it or not. Building a pump can be months of fiddling around and play testing, which can be the best part of a marker. But if you don't like playing any kind of pump at your usual field, it's a bit pointless to build one.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone