mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Using barrel kits with the X7 or Crossover (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/242024-using-barrel-kits-x7-crossover.html)

ToyBox 09-16-2013 08:08 PM

Using barrel kits with the X7 or Crossover

I really like the way Tippmann has set up the mechanicals in the X7 Phenom and the Crossover. I like being able to run without a battery and have a reliable spool drive moving paint in a relatively efficient marker.

My biggest complaint with both of these markers is the stock barrel that they come with. The X7 stock barrel is easily the least accurate barrel I've ever used. It's a good thing the market is filled with third party barrels.

So I purchased some SLY barrel backs and their double carbon fiber barrels at a really good price. I've been using one of the series with the autococker backs and very happy with the barrel.

Unfortunately, the unique design of the X7 and Crossover bolts are causing jams when used with smaller bored barrel backs. I made the following two videos to show the issue and what I've done to address it.

SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube&fs=1" />SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube - SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube

Note my surprise at the end of the video when it worked on the X7. I'd recommend taking 1/4" off the back rather than 1/8" to avoid the jams.

Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube&fs=1" />Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube - Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube

What surprises me the most is that I couldn't find anyone else talking about this. It could be that my Google-Fu is failing me or maybe there is government hush money involved. I know that the Crossover hasn't been welcomed as much as expected (I blame the Gog Emney for being a solid mechanical at less than half the price) but I still would have thought there would be some chatter about aftermarket barrels causing jams on these markers.

If I'm missing something, I'd love some feedback.

DoC19K 09-16-2013 08:16 PM

The a5/x7 threaded deadly winds was having the same issues then deadly wind fixed it by putting an insert or making it longer, I forget the exact fix but the bolt wouldn't get stuck in barrel. My thought would be turning down the stock bolt because when the TPX stock barrel got freak bored, the stock bolt [not turned down] got stuck in the smaller inserts so the same theory I think...I might for the phenom since it travels a bit into the back of the barrel.

nofxkid2005 09-16-2013 09:12 PM

I got lucky and found an A5 freak back many moons ago. I haven't had any problems with the smaller inserts on any of the Tippmann's I've shot it on.

JLuke 09-17-2013 09:57 AM

Yea, the A5 freak back that I have has the insert go in from the front and stop before it reaches the back of the barrel.

May sell it if you're intrested :p

Cyco-Dude 09-17-2013 01:35 PM

the bolts on tippmanns enter into the rear of the barrel. on properly made barrels, the rear is overbored to about .710 for about .5" into the barrel, to allow for the bolt to enter. this is why freak backs for tippmanns are longer than other backs, and why the inserts are not flush with the end of the back.

bolts jamming in small inserts / backs is not a tippmann problem, but rather out-of-spec barrels / barrel backs from the various aftermarket manufacturers.

super_stanchy 09-18-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoC19K (Post 2803756)
The a5/x7 threaded deadly winds was having the same issues then deadly wind fixed it by putting an insert or making it longer, I forget the exact fix but the bolt wouldn't get stuck in barrel. My thought would be turning down the stock bolt because when the TPX stock barrel got freak bored, the stock bolt [not turned down] got stuck in the smaller inserts so the same theory I think...I might for the phenom since it travels a bit into the back of the barrel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude (Post 2804199)
the bolts on tippmanns enter into the rear of the barrel. on properly made barrels, the rear is overbored to about .710 for about .5" into the barrel, to allow for the bolt to enter. this is why freak backs for tippmanns are longer than other backs, and why the inserts are not flush with the end of the back.

bolts jamming in small inserts / backs is not a tippmann problem, but rather out-of-spec barrels / barrel backs from the various aftermarket manufacturers.

YUP and YUP

long story short, tippy bolts are too big for underboring.

i do know the tech t bad karma bolt works with inserts down to .665 (smallest the tester had) on the tipx

when i mod stock bolts, i turn them down to .660, so they clear all standard inserts, plus ty's inserts

modding the back of the barrels is an option, if its a fixed bore barrel (ie 1 size barrel)

ToyBox 09-18-2013 05:25 PM

Well... I've cut about 1/8" off the the .692 back and am not getting any jams. Now I get to run some paint through it to see what sort of effect this has.

The good news is that I got an Impulse threaded back as well so I can use this on my mechanical Ion if I ever get all the leaks sorted out.