mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

Dealing with the "Favoring the Regulars" Problem

We've all been there. Big group of walk-ons, mostly new, lot of renters, handful of regulars. They might be off-duty refs, or members of the "home" team, or just a group who's there every other weekend.

Refs are making teams, trying to keep the numbers even, and like clockwork, the regulars insist that they stay together. Even though they're the only group of experienced players in the game.

And the ever-responsible refs, of course...let them do it, with predictable results.

I have no patience for this. Absolutely none. So when this was going on last weekend, I called the refs on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL1_YyE-HIk

What do YOU think? What would you have done? Have to deal with this regularly? What do you do?

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've had to deal with this so atleast you're not alone. I'm of the call out variety lol. Still trying to find a better more diplomatic way.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

1. Two colors of paintballs, an even amount of each, totaling the number of players.
2. One mask bag.
3. Draw.

Repeat after each game unless both teams agree that it was a good, evenly matched game and they want to go again as-is.

That's just how I do it for our monthly games. For larger, all-day scenario games where we have a lot of different groups show up, I try to keep groups of friends together, but offset that with another group of friends on the other team. We have several different groups of 3 to 10 that will regularly show up, and I can usually split them off to make things even. It's only when a few groups show up for the first time, and I don't know their real experience level, that things get unbalanced. I usually even do a slight adjustment to teams at mid-day if one team seems to be beating the other more handily. It's just more fun for everyone when things are evenly matched.

As for how you handled it, I think you did what you needed to do to get your point across. Personally (and I mean personally - not expecting this of anyone else) I would have avoided the curse word. In the end you got things evened out and made it known that you didn't like the result of the first game. I assume you were the first and only person to complain about it that day, and that the refs kept things even after that point?

Last edited by Justus; 11-20-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
1. Two colors of paintballs, an even amount of each, totaling the number of players.
2. One mask bag.
3. Draw.

Repeat after each game unless both teams agree that it was a good, evenly matched game and they want to go again as-is.
This is what we do.

Edit: And you did right bro!

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014

Last edited by DashHopes; 11-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

My refs are good about keeping things even. They know who the regulars are and even with groups of regulars they keep the groups in tact, but divide them evenly. If things are lop sided they will adjust every few games if needed.

They try, and its a guessing game a lot of time, but are proactive about it.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
2. One mask bag.
3. Draw.

I like that idea a lot.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Honestly I think its great how you handled that situation, and I love that you made the refs do something about their inaction. I agree the job of a ref is first and foremost to ensure everyone is safe, after that they need to ensure that everyone has fun even if it means that the regulars can't play together. Besides its more fun to shoot your buddy than to cover him.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I used to draw checkers for teams, but it led to REALLY lopsided teams, as it was so unpredictable... So now I let everyone decide which team they want to be on, then I switch up as needed. If one team is dominating the other team, I pull the player who gets the flag and put him on the weaker team. After a few games doing that, then the tide turns.

New players NEED to win a few games, as getting stomped ruins their first time playing.

After a day of playing, I expect both teams to have won similar amounts of games, and then I know I did a good job breaking them up that day...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Good for you. I'm glad you spoke up.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
We used to do a team captain and each captain took turns picking a player. I think it fell to the way of the drawing of paintballs so that the same people were not always picked last.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone