mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DranDran View Post
This game is as old as I am. Was it a normal thing back in '96 to not wear full face masks?
That was the tail-end of it, though.
I want to say that by 1997 all major tournaments were requiring full face protection.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

In those days the bps was lower and as seen in the videos the range was a little greater so you didn't usually have the ball on ball impact. thus the idea was that the balls were more likely to bounce on a face than a mask. I feel less confined and less apt to fog without a mask so I still prefer to play without when I can. However I don't play speedball that much. And yes I have caught a few in my mouth. One of the most painful was an across the field lob that broke on the point of my nose. brought tears to my eyes so I couldn't see for a bit.

Weren't there a couple of years where masks were required but parts were allowed to be cut off? I still have a Spectra mask with only a thin strip covering my nose and center of my mouth left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Also did it seem to anyone else that they spent a great deal of time cleaning barrels in those videos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

That was pretty awesome. That was about the time that I started playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
Also did it seem to anyone else that they spent a great deal of time cleaning barrels in those videos?
I guess back in the day you could not just be a player like you can today, you had to be able to tech your gun yourself on the field. I remember doing stuff like that quite a few times also. I am sure you do to based on your previous post.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DranDran View Post
This game is as old as I am. Was it a normal thing back in '96 to not wear full face masks?
It was totally normal not to wear facemasks back in the day. The sponsors were in a pickle when we went to play at the World Championships. They wanted the safety of the mask, but they wanted to be able to see each players faces. No one said masks were mandatory so we didn't bring them (some of us). But when we got there they said they were required, but like I said, we didn't have any. John Gregory, Owner of JT, showed up with a box of the first clear masks for the Spectra goggle frame. He passed those out to us, but in the process of putting them on our frames many of them cracked. The plastic was too brittle. You can see some players with them in the Ironman game, as well as Rosie (Bob Rose, head ref). Those masks are super collectable (to the right people) since they never went into production due to the brittleness. John said he was trying to get them really clear, like a clear lens. But it just wasn't working out. They never did get it right. I myself had always worn a facemask to play in, even though they were not required at the time. But I made the decision not to wear mine because of simple vanity. I wanted the camera to know who I was on the field (I guess the pegleg wasn't enough in my mind). It is interesting to note that most pro level players rarely ever get shot in the face (at least back then). Not because they are immune, just they tend not to expose their faces when playing and looking around bunkers. You just see their gun and the corner of their goggles. Newer players tend to put their whole face around a bunker to see, and get shot in their mouths in the process. Just a little info.
After this event the NPPL went ahead and made facemasks required at all their events. So players started cutting them down, or bending the rubber bottom half of the facemask up so it had a smaller profile (you see that all the time in old pics). Finally the NPPL had to just put their foot down and say an 'unaltered facemask' was required. And you can see today nobody really seems to mind. I know I don't. Facemasks should have been required years before this, in my opinion. Sorry for the dissertation.
sugarstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
Many of the teams had ball breakage problems on the field during games. This was due to a few things. First: We all shot high pressure which is a little harder on the ball. Second: We all shot as close to 300 fps as possible, due to the size of the field itself. Third: Some special batches of paint were made for this event. RPScherer made the original Evil for the Turtles and All Americans. And I can honestly say it was SUPER THIN SHELLED. Any thinner it wouldn't have shot at all. It was pretty delicate so we had to be really careful when moving. But on the plus side it broke on EVERYTHING. No bounces, ever. Other teams had Pro-Ball (Ironmen), and it was pretty hard and bounced alot (my team can attest to that). Some other teams were using it as well, but I don't remember who. But everyone was trying to shoot thin shelled balls at this event. And some manufacturers didn't get the formulas right. Fourth: Everyone was shooting as fast as they could with hair triggers. And when you do that with Autocockers and Automags there is a tendency to 'short stroke' your trigger. Which caused all kinds of ball chopping issues. Oh, and keep in mind we were all using Revis. Most of our guns could out shoot the hoppers we were using at that time. So we had to make an effort to keep a steady rate of fire up without going too fast for the hopper.
And for those of you that think 'Evil' is a common paintball now days, it was not the same ball you can buy retail at the store today. Back in those days it was a 'secret/special' ball. Impossible to wipe, super thin shelled, and super bright yellow. It was actually called 'Bright Glow' from the factory, not 'Evil', and was never intended to go to the open market. The other teams that got shot by it called it 'Evil', since it tended to stain your gear and clothes forever. You think I'm exaggerating, I'm not. I still play in stained clothes/gloves/head covers/underwear that have had the yellow on them for around 17 years.
You had to be one of PMI/RPScherer sponsored teams to be able to get it. All Americans, Aftershock, Turtles, Farside, we all shot it. In fact I still have a case that I use in my pump when I play. Great for one shot kills!

And finally yes, we had to tech our own guns during games some times. It wasn't like the new guns that are all high tech, and totally understanding them is not really required. You don't tear them apart during a tournament game. Shoot, current Airball games are so short and the fields so small it's seems never to be a problem anyway, and you wouldn't have time fix it if you did. Players nowdays don't carry squeegees, watches, spare O-rings, spare powerfeed plugs or locking pins. These were standard items in long woodsball games. But back then you had 25 minute games (original games were 15 man, 1 hour games. Imagine that!), and your guns had all sorts of moving parts that you needed to understand and know how to fix. Yes, these guns required more tinkering, but they had a character that guns these days will never have. Kind of like classic cars.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Thanks for posting these. Great to see what tournament paintball used to be. Seeing things like this really makes me appreciate my mech guns even more. i'm presuming that in 96 these were all classic valve mags I'm seeing as I'm pretty sure the ReTro and RT pro and such didn't come out until later. Not that any form of RT would have been tourney legal anyways.

BTW your stunt of dressing up and waving to your kid in various outfits has gone viral on facebook Dale

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
BTW your stunt of dressing up and waving to your kid in various outfits has gone viral on facebook Dale
Holy cow, that was Dale?!?
http://waveatthebus.blogspot.com/p/t...-costumes.html
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
Thanks for posting these. Great to see what tournament paintball used to be. Seeing things like this really makes me appreciate my mech guns even more. i'm presuming that in 96 these were all classic valve mags I'm seeing as I'm pretty sure the ReTro and RT pro and such didn't come out until later. Not that any form of RT would have been tourney legal anyways.

Your right. All classic valve mags. Except for maybe some of the All Americans. They might have had the MAGIC BOX! If you notice in the videos that most of them are all using Autocockers for the extra distance. Just a interesting observation. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'm finding myself really liking them too, even after all these years.

I have noticed my dressing up has gone crazy, again. My son is currently serving as a missionary for the LDS church in Liberia, West Africa. I'm setting up a series of funny costumes for him in the next week or so. One outfit a week, so he can open his e-mail and have a laugh (he can only get to his e-mail once a week. Liberia, the hub of technology!). It will start with Conan the Barbarian and go from there.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Holy cow, that was Dale?!?
Wave At The Bus: The 1st Year of Waves
Yeah, that's me. A silly idea gone crazy!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone