mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

1996 ESPN WORLD PAINTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS available for viewing

Hey guys. I've been asked many times if I had the complete tournament videos of the 1996 ESPN WORLD PAINTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS in Orlando, Florida. I finally got them transferred from VHS. I posted them all on youtube.

Dale Price - YouTube

This has all the legendary old school players and teams in it with all the old school guns. Not an electro in the bunch! All Mags and Cockers. This was the beginning of the end for woodsball in tournaments. After this event concept fields stated appearing at all the big tournaments.
I have TONS of old school footage I'll be posting on my channel of all the old NPPL, Great Western Series, and local events. 99% of them are old school woodsball.
Note: I'm not trying to promote myself. I've just been asked for so long to make these available and I fugured that the MCB crowd would appreciate them more than most new players.
Have fun watching!
Dale
sugarstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Dude... So cool to see you playing. I was telling a coworker at the field that you had all kinds of neat cool stuff tucked away just yesterday.

Was it fun?
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome!
This is from right around the time I started playing.

Does anyone know how the dimensions of these fields compare to a modern airball field?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

It was fun. It was nice playing in an event without a hundred teams waiting around. It was weird though with all the cameras, I think there were nine. And the only spectators were really just the teams not playing. One thing the video doesn't show is how effing HUGE the field was! It was 300 ft flag to flag! And the farther back you were, the smaller the bunkers were, so you were forced to move closer. That's why you see guys running the flag back and handing it off halfway and then falling on the ground. It also took FOREVER to get the games actually started. Every game the cameras had to be checked, all the light levels all over the field had to be checked, the mics tested, some of us had mics on us during the games (they never used the audio from those). Just a ton of set up just to play each game. Anyway, it was fun. But I hate that it led to the demise of the big woodsball tournaments. Great memories though. I'm glad you enjoyed watching them.
Dale
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just saw your question about size of the field. The field was 300 feet, flag to flag. And 175 feet wide. I'm not sure of the current Airball sized fields. They just seem to keep getting smaller and tighter. Not good for a speed demon like me!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarstump View Post
I just saw your question about size of the field. The field was 300 feet, flag to flag. And 175 feet wide. I'm not sure of the current Airball sized fields. They just seem to keep getting smaller and tighter. Not good for a speed demon like me!
So compared to a modern 120'x150' PSP field...

image upload

OR

free image hosting
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for posting these up Dale, it's cool to see videos of Mikey playing I kind of miss the guy.
Washington reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I miss all the old Reign guys. Mikey, Carl, Bill, Danny and the list goes on. I have some footage from the very first World Cup in Orlando of Reign playing. Not store bought, I shot it myself. Those old HUGE wooded fields. I'm searching for it now to upload. So keep any eye on my channel, it will show up one day.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wait, the commentary at one point mentions that the field is actually 500 by 200 feet (along with various rules about "forwards" and "halfbacks" not being allowed to cross the centerline until 5 or 10 minutes have passed).
If true, that would have made these fields even larger in comparison to modern ones.

Or

image upload no size limit
Old 01-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Oh, you are right. Now that I think about it I think the size I mentioned was the standard size of the first 10 man airball fields when they were trying to figure out how big to make them. Sorry about that. I'm getting forgetful in my dotage. Thanks for correctling that.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone