mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Is Paintball Too Expensive for Kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWjzgaBXj74
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I can't watch the video now but, I think that for kids, it's a matter of "can Mommy and/or Daddy afford to pay for little Tim's paintball interest".

For teens that have jobs, it might be.

In either case, this economy certainly isn't helping.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
IT's HIS FACE!
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

24min is a bit long for the amount of actual content. I wish people who made talkies would just put a shortened text summary in the description. I'm guessing you were speaking from notes, so just pop the notes up in the description. Bonus points for time-indexed notes.

Anyways, paintball is expensive due to incessant equipment whoring, and almost a total lack of real research in paintball of *any* kind (not just in the soft aspects, but some of the obvious-but-apparently-not-so-obvious hard science, which leads to patently awful equipment recommendations and choices).

The solution is obvious -- kids just need to get sponsorships, of course! Because sponsorships are the Holy Grail.

The point about the "washroom" made me laugh though. That's my secret field benchmark.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I can't watch the video now but, I think that for kids, it's a matter of "can Mommy and/or Daddy afford to pay for little Tim's paintball interest".

For teens that have jobs, it might be.

In either case, this economy certainly isn't helping.
Paintball is too expensive for me!
Skyssx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eric

Send a message via Skype™ to lechooch

mommy loves her lechooch
Youtube Chanel:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLechooch/videos
Feedbackhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
lechooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know, I mean it certainly can be expensive, it by no means has to. You can shoot a $60 pump every weekend and it'll run you maybe 2 CO2 fills and a case of paint (if that even).
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
24min is a bit long for the amount of actual content. I wish people who made talkies would just put a shortened text summary in the description. I'm guessing you were speaking from notes, so just pop the notes up in the description. Bonus points for time-indexed notes.
I like that idea. I will see if I can turn it into a PDF document and attach the download link to the video. Thanks for a positive and constructive idea!
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechooch View Post
mommy loves her lechooch
Bahahahaha!
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

For shame... you left out outlaw ball... haha.

One of my goals when playing paintball is to prove you can have fun in the sport for almost no cost...

I probably do a bad job advertising that fact, but there it is.

I am getting ready to do a "gear" video as people always ask me about my marker/gear on my videos and I've never made one.

Here is what I use.

A used Tippmann A-5 (factory Realtree) that I got off craigslist last year in trade for a compound bow that I bought at a yard sale for $10... so yeah, it cost me $10 for my current A-5.

I run Co2 because for $18-19 I can buy a 20 ounce Co2 tank online when they go on sale. Fills around here at Dick's sporting goods cost $3.99 and with every 4th fill, you get the fifth free. Which averages out to $3.20 per fill, and if you get 9 ounces filled in the same box during that time, you can pick the 20 ounce to be the "free" fill, so it will cost even less per fill. I typically use 1 to 1 1/2 tanks per event depending on how much I shoot and how cold it is. Course you could always fill your own tanks for even less...

I use hunting camo, that was a gift when I first started, still using the same set, 8 years later...

I use a pod holder I got off ebay in realtree that came with a bunch of other stuff in a bag for $10... (including barrels, a hand held chrono that just needed a new battery, an offset rail for my A-5 and a core red dot scope, and a master mine! It was an awesome deal!). (it was another $10 to ship it).

My JT full helmet was given to me so it didn't cost anything. Retail is over $120 though since I have the fan too...
My remote line was $25.
My first Apex was $20 used on ebay (looked brand new). I have many more, but they were provided...

I almost NEVER buy new gear. This year I went crazy and bought a new pair of camo gloves on ebay for $10... I figured since I splurged on my "new" realtree A-5 I needed them, plus my original gloves had holes in them from burning the tips off making our fires... haha!

Anyway, my point in all of that, is you can play for REALLY cheap if you aren't caught in the "upgrade" or "brand" trap...

When I was riding BMX professionally. I rode for one of the biggest companies. They sent me free bikes, and I got used to riding a brand new bike every few months... But, after a while, when BMX went through the "dry times" in the late 80's and early 90's I realized that I was actually HARMING my riding skill by changing gear so often... Because every time you change gear, your muscle memory is affected. So you have to "re-learn" each little thing that you take for granted if you just use the same gear, year after year.

So I don't change my primary paintball gear. I've been offered different markers by sponsors, but I didn't want to change what I was used to and start re-learning everything again...

The point is, you can play paintball and have a TON of fun with very low cost gear. As there is so much almost new stuff out there, and the new stuff kills the value of the old stuff, so people often sell it for WAY less than it's actual "value".

I currently have about 9 or 10 complete sets of gear, sponsors have provided some, and I have bought the other stuff on craigslist, when I see a deal that is just way to cheap to ignore. My last Tippmann gun/mask/remote line/new barrels/ 6 co2 tanks I got for $30... It was all brand new! The air line still had the plastic on it! I let new players at my field use this gear for FREE to get them hooked on the sport! And I help my new players find deals if they can't afford new.

I also picked up a Tippmann A-5 this summer for $45 on craigslist, and turned around and dialed it in, and redid everything on it, painted it and sold it for $100 to one of our new players. Showing that you can buy these "steals" out there and make money on them if you know what stuff is worth.

And if you play outlaw, then you only have the cost of the paint and air as your costs to play... If it is a small game, you can easily play for 500 paintballs (around $15). Big games, you need more paint, depending on your play style, but I don't think I've ever paid $50 to play paintball... At my December event, both my daughters and my daughters boyfriend played, and I had the leftover case from the prior month and I bought one more case. So my total cost for all 4 of us to play all day was $90. (2 boxes of $40 paint from Dick's and 3 air tank fills, I had leftover for my own air). That is less than the cost to take 4 of us to the movies and buy food! And movies are only 2 hours long, we played paintball for over 4 hours and made WAY better memories!

Course, there is a large segment of the paintball crowd that looks down their nose at outlaw paintball...

It is what it is... I just enjoy playing as cheap as possible, my personal cost is usually around $20 or less for one of my games, and outlaw in my opinion is way more fun than playing at public fields. Plus I don't have to buy gas to get to the field! haha!

Last edited by FreeEnterprise; 01-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone