mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
A Little Grainy

IMO, a TPX and home defense are mutually exclusive. If the situation justifies the use of deadly force, then it's the wrong situation for a paintball gun. If the situation does not justify the use of deadly force, then any sort of threat with a paintball gun (to the end of scaring off the intruder) would be legally ill-advised.

Last edited by Supergyro; 01-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It is incredibly ****ty to have to hold someone at gunpoint. To have to realize that you are one step away from killing a person over some matter that may or may not be significant. I've been there, and I was angry that the perp put me in that position. We almost were facing first degree murder charges, because the guy dropped his hands suddenly, as if reaching for a weapon--he was just pulling up his pants.

Having been there, however, it was not a place for a paintball gun. We had shotguns for a reason, and I thank my lucky stars every day that we didn't have to use them.

This coming from a guy in South Texas with generous castle laws.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

imho, anymore it doesn't really matter if you use a real gun and kill them, you will get sued by family etc for use of excessive force etc. Alive or dead, you can bet your buttocks there will be a suit. The fact they were committing a crime means nothing anymore. I can't think of any method of home defense that is immune to lawsuits actually.

I have a pepper ball gun (chrono's about 375-400) that sounds like a hand cannon when shot, if nothing else, i'd use the 'inert' rounds and fire it off once to scare. In the middle of the night, while being all quiet, any extremely loud 'pop' WILL sound like a real gun, and taking a hit by one, in the same conditions, might just give the impression of a shot, unless the intruder has been in combat, in which case your likely screwed either way. (technically, how is shooting someone with a paintball/pepperball gun any different than beating them with a bat?)

For the more peaceable types, maybe a nonfunctional shotgun with used rounds, just for the 'racking' sound effect on the other side of the door/hallway might be enough to suggest they leave.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
High 4 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
It is incredibly ****ty to have to hold someone at gunpoint. To have to realize that you are one step away from killing a person over some matter that may or may not be significant. I've been there, and I was angry that the perp put me in that position. We almost were facing first degree murder charges, because the guy dropped his hands suddenly, as if reaching for a weapon--he was just pulling up his pants.

Having been there, however, it was not a place for a paintball gun. We had shotguns for a reason, and I thank my lucky stars every day that we didn't have to use them.

This coming from a guy in South Texas with generous castle laws.
I have had to discharge my weapon before but never in a home defense environment. I am pleased to say that it was necessary and all parties walked away safely. I think back daily on the event and feel blessed of its outcome. I have no doubt in my mind that if the situation ended differently I would have been ok with it, but would have weighed heavy on me the rest of my life. I do have a firearm for self defense currently and have no fear of using it for the purpose of home defense. But with my experience I have a high regard for human life. Feel free to rage on me about it but it is just who I have become in my experiences. This is way I popped the question. I am all about alterative uses . I am also glad the situation that you experienced ended well.

This coming from a guy in Southern California with Laws effecting honest gun owner and not the criminals that us them.

Last edited by Johnnycope; 01-16-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

I've got my trusty Remington 1911 R1s full of 220 grain +p hornady JHPs. Way more effective than the tpx. lol.

In the end I feel it boils down to one of two things: Would you rather be judged by jury or deal with a funeral?

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION

Last edited by Scharfschutze91; 01-16-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newbie in training

It's all about the ammo & shot placement.

I use one as a defensive tool. It's all about the ammo & shot placement.

If the bad guy come's at me with anything less than a real fire arm he's going to have lots of months of pain to think about where he went wrong

The use of any tool for self defense is a personal decision and only you can make that decision for you self. lots of pro's and con's to any choice you make.

Whether it be a 357 magnum or TiPX marker. they are both tools and blunt objects, because with out the ammo that's all they are.

Now having a extra TPX tool in the tool box when the SHTF might come in handy one day.

Just make sure you do your research when it come to the ammo.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Oldbie

Using paintball, in any form, as a home defense measure, is ludicrous.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
all work

It certainly wouldn't be my first choice... but if it was near to hand in a crisis where i felt justified using any force at my disposal to protect my person I'd unload said TPX into my assailants face and use it as an improvised club immediately thereafter.

If you live in a place where the laws permit you to keep a loaded weapon its hard to go wrong with a shotgun loaded with reduced recoil #4 buckshot.

If you are determined to employ less lethal then perhaps a T8.1 cranked up to 11 loaded with some FN303 projectiles.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Seems we have this same conversation here every couple of months.

E
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

The academy's down here in Katy Tx, actually sell revamped TPX pepper ball guns. What concerns me is ACADEMY NOW CARRIES PEPPERBALLS. I'm praying some idiot does not try to bring these to local field.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone