mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Overshooting Egos Need Lessons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P11ykGYh2bc
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Lessons for first time paintballers would be helpful.
I disagree that 12 year old first timers are the over-shooters on the field. On occasion they are the culprits, but IMO it's the 16 to 20 crowd that over-shoots the most often.

The solution to the problem is refs that are willing to enforce the rules. All too often the 18yo refs are "friends" with the punk 18yo over-shooter. Fields with good ownership and good refs rarely have over-shooting problems.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
Great video! I think it's easy to blame a field's regular players as the cause for overshooting/bad sportsmanship but I'm glad that you brought up the issue of new, inexperienced rentals. I've had my share of issues with experienced players as well as newbies, and it's never fun to argue over the morality of wiping with a rental player while sharing a bunker.

I've always been a little of the fence about clinics for new players. While I think it would be a good opportunity for parents, I'm not sure if new players would take advantage of it. Personally, I've always wondered if fields need to do more to group players into play style/experience. Perhaps fields need to keep newer players away from the general walk-ons while they're still learning? Good topic for discussion nonetheless, thanks for sharing.
Bullseye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Started a long post about my life's story...
Ain't nobody got time for that!

In a nutshell:
Slow progression is a must for making responsible, respectable paintball lifers. Spider-man mentality.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Dear OP i just want to remind you that Team Canada has only 4 players that actually play for a Canadian team(2 goalie, 2 defense man and 0 Foward).

BTW watched the video. I 100% agree.

"Originally posted by Element Paintball@pbnation: you realize it would be easier to get a new wife than a new dc2."

My MCB Feedback

Last edited by noclue119; 01-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good job fixing the spot on the wall....now I have this dark patch on my screen where I took a sharpie and covered up the some maple leafed hockey player
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Great job on the vid and right on as usual.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
all work

Mandatory instruction for all players and especially new players is de riguer at any quality field and covers safety, field rules and etiquette. You can't force anyone to pay attention or understand instruction. Even those that understand may not obey. Adrenaline is as much at fault as ego for many players.

Instruction beyond the basics in say tactics and strategy would certainly be useful for sport oriented players but hold dubious appeal for recreational players. The most useful implementation of such instruction would be the employ of regulars as squad leaders for new players. These experienced players could then monitor the behavior of the newbs in exchange for some incentive.

The biggest problem I see at some fields is the mixing of groups of divergent experience, equipment and age levels. An example would be my nephews 13th B-day. He'd never been. I'd planned to take him to the field I prefer (CQB Toronto) where the regulars are friendly low key helpful people(coincidentally mostly over 21). His mother had other ideas and we ended up at a dimly HPS lit indoor field which shall remain un-named; filled with nothing but sand and goo. Aside from poor equipment consisting of permafogged rental masks and farting-non-re-cocking 98's we had leftover gun owners from the mornings BYOP session still shooting their own paint along with an 8th B-Day party of 25. This combination made for the worst paintball experience ever. Timid blind newbs, overshooting pro wannabes and random walkons of various ability and kit slip sliding around the dark sandy warehouse that happens to be the cheapest place to play on any Sunday in my city.

I don't think it's fair to match pre-pubescent players with adults in any game. It's not fair to either group. Nobody has fun regardless of experience or skill level. The problem is the profit motive. Commercial fields are in it for the money and turning away a paying customer or worse yet group of customers is not on the agenda.

Lessons aren't the issue.

Edit: I forgot the highlight of this average commercial field experience. Halfway through the day which happened to be mid September and 82F a player shows up with an electro wearing a quilted goosedown winter jacket. Staff had no issues with this. Nor did they mind the child waving his laser sight around in peoples faces. If lessons are to be delivered the field operators and their staffs need to be the first students.

Last edited by Nightstar; 01-21-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
Dear OP i just want to remind you that Team Canada has only 4 players that actually play for a Canadian team(2 goalie, 2 defense man and 0 Foward).

BTW watched the video. I 100% agree.
Lord Stanley wants his cup back...please return said players home so we can have our cup back...oh yay and fire Bettman.

Cant wait for an awesome rematch in Sochi!
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like what boston paintball did for kids age eight and up they have splatmaster only games works really well as a introduction and training for how to play.
As far as kids overshooting,honk a kid up on energy drinks (i wont even go into parents letting a 10 year old have redbull),sugar and adrenaline then hand them a marker and theres gonna be some overshooting.
saintnoir is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone