mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Six Point Five

Anno/Hydro/Powder coating?

Hey guys. The new marker .. too me is in bad shape anno wise.. Fading and markings. Im thinking of anodizing it, but right not its sent out to get helicoiled for grip frame screws. Can you anodize after helicoil? If not, does powder coating hold up well vs hydrographics? . Im sure there is a thread but i cant find much info on helicoil and anno...

Thanks.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ves206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

I believe helicoils are stainless which will be eaten away during anodizing.
To answer your other question, there are only a few applications I would recommend hydro dipping or powder coating. In general anodizing is the best choice for paintball markers.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tug Contest Winner

Helicoils dissolve during anno unless you block them off. Anyone doing anno should know how to if you mention it beforehand?
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Six Point Five

Well we will see what rod says... the marker is currently on its way to CCM so rod can check it out and see if it needs retapping or helicoil (last resort).. Would love to reanno it.. Trying to save this CCM marker that someone left in there garage and never took care of it..

ves206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
MagMan

Precision Powder does some pretty awesome work with paintball guns, and I don't imagine the helicoil would affect powdercoating (though don't hold me to that).

Here's the AO link to some of his work:
Precision Powder - Custom Marker Refinishing
ScottyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

Hydrodipping is not durable at all. When I have done it, the slightest thing can scratch it. You would have to get some clear coats on it.

Powdercoating is pretty decent, but you can't do any threads/internals. Basically external only.

Annodizing I would agree is usually best for paintball guns.

You could also consider Cerakoting, which is what is often used on real steel. Again, another downfall to it is no internals. Similar to powder coating.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Well if the inside of the marker isn't trashed than I wouldn't see any problems with powdercoating. Yes it wouldn't match, but 95% of the time I wouldn't be able to see the inside of the marker, and 99.9% nobody else would either.

And with anodising any scratch on the finish is more or less a scratch on the aluminum itself. With powdercoating it's a scratch on the finish.

Regardless, hydrodipping isn't good for many paintball applications.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
Well if the inside of the marker isn't trashed than I wouldn't see any problems with powdercoating. Yes it wouldn't match, but 95% of the time I wouldn't be able to see the inside of the marker, and 99.9% nobody else would either.

And with anodising any scratch on the finish is more or less a scratch on the aluminum itself. With powdercoating it's a scratch on the finish.

Regardless, hydrodipping isn't good for many paintball applications.
You can scratch powder coating off and get into the aluminum as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
You can scratch powder coating off and get into the aluminum as well.
Wow, I completely forgot to fully expand on that idea.

If I remember correctly, anodising is essentially coloring the actual outer layers of the aluminum itself, hence when anodising is scratched the aluminum itself is scratched.

Now powdercoating is like paint, it goes on top of the surface. If powdercoating is scratched it can scratch the aluminum, but it may also just scratch off the coating.

As for my actual opinion on the two, I think they both have their uses. Powdercoating is nice because it can be used on many metals, like brass and steel, it's strong, and if done properly it can look really nice. The negatives to powdercoating in my opinion are that anything crazy with powdercoating can look bad even if the idea was good and that it's harder to get into things. Anodising is nice because it's possible to make some really crazy and complex designs with it and it's strong. The negatives to anodising in my opinion are that you can really only use it on aluminum, and it's hard to make colors match.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
Wow, I completely forgot to fully expand on that idea.

If I remember correctly, anodising is essentially coloring the actual outer layers of the aluminum itself, hence when anodising is scratched the aluminum itself is scratched.

Now powdercoating is like paint, it goes on top of the surface. If powdercoating is scratched it can scratch the aluminum, but it may also just scratch off the coating.

As for my actual opinion on the two, I think they both have their uses. Powdercoating is nice because it can be used on many metals, like brass and steel, it's strong, and if done properly it can look really nice. The negatives to powdercoating in my opinion are that anything crazy with powdercoating can look bad even if the idea was good and that it's harder to get into things. Anodising is nice because it's possible to make some really crazy and complex designs with it and it's strong. The negatives to anodising in my opinion are that you can really only use it on aluminum, and it's hard to make colors match.
Annodizing is essentially a corrosion process on the outer surfaces of the aluminum. You can get something called "hard anodizing," which I believe puts this finish further into the metal.

Powder coating is exactly what it says: powder. It has a negative charge that is attracted to a positively charged metal. It builds on top of the metal, affecting tolerances significantly more than anodizing. It can be stronger than anodizing, but I'm not really a fan of the process other than for industrial applications (I did the engine on my old car. Held up pretty well actually)

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone