mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

How on earth do smokers play paintball?

I tried to play this weekend despite having contracted RSV from my kids. I have maybe 30-50% of my standard lung capacity and, good lord, does that limit you. I have seen lots of smokers at fields over the years, and I just don't see how they manage.

I wrapped up the day after dashing for a bunker only to have my legs give out, and falling hard on my back. I slid into the bunker, where I curled into the fetal position and struggled to breath for a few moments. Apparently more than just my marker was low on air

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
If you smoked, you'd be accustomed to this sort thing and it would be much easier to deal with...

The only time I tend to smoke anymore , actually, is when I am at the paintball field. :roll eyes:

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It hurt my pride pretty hard when the 300 pound guy who was there as part of the birthday group, who also smoked, took fewer breaks than I did. This was possibly my worst day of paintball ever, which sucks because it was one of my most anticipated games ever. Oh well, I'll just have to ensure the kids don't infect me with some other fun bug before the next outing. That shouldn't be too difficult with 22-month old twins... Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
Oh well, I'll just have to ensure the kids don't infect me with some other fun bug before the next outing. That shouldn't be too difficult with 22-month old twins... Right?
Good luck with that

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Fat = padding?

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

I actually had a smoker tell me that he thought smokers would be better at doing long hikes (like going Rim-Rim in Grand Canyon, ect) than non-smokers. Said they'd "need to eat less and their mouths wouldn't get as dry" or something. Made me laugh inside.

As i too have diminished lung capacity from some nerve issues years ago, i also find myself VERY out of breath after running a short distance in most games. I got a video camera this past fall and its sort of embarrassing how heavy i'm breathing most of the time.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
Fat = padding?
Yes, it's so not fair.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Euro-feed RT lover

Well, smokers aside, lets talk about what happened to you. Were you playing speedball or in the woods?

Speedball is definately unforgiving of any physical impairment or limitation, especially if the regulars/local team who play it every weekend are there. Thats just the nature of that game format, and there is no getting around it unless your playing with a private group.

A decent sized woodsball field that you have experience on should let you slow your pace though. Nothing wrong with playing back, guarding the flag, or just moving up very methodically without having to be up front going banzai all the time. Thats one of the reasons I love woodsball so much, it allows so many different kinds of play to suit different people and their abilities.

I never see many smokers at my field. I'm more amazed, and depressed, by the amount of completely out of shape 16-20 year old kids I see at my field who can't hack a couple consecutive 5-10 minute games without collapsing in a bloated pile afterwards. Then they eat crap, drink soda, and waste an amazing amount of time talking about their gear until they finally build the strength to take the field again. I'm 33, and when I go to a field to play, which I consider a priviledge, I go to PLAY!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Yes, it's so not fair.
yeah tell me about it. I am 116lb @ 5-10. Everything that hits my body will break.

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife

with their JT flex rolled up in the front.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone