mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Which would you be prepared to buy?
lever phantom kit 32 41.56%
break action over under 18 23.38%
boba fett inspired pistol 13 16.88%
han solo inspired pistol 7 9.09%
storm tripper inspired pistol 8 10.39%
phantom magwell kit 18 23.38%
right feed DSP 1 1.30%
phantom 1 piece/ springfeed 3 3.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
new project poll

**images are reference only**

There is a lot of bouncing around to completely different ideas in the other thread so I am setting up a poll to sort it out a bit.

vote for it if it is what you want, not just if you think it would be cool to see. If you are not interested in buying one, a vote really isn't worth anything to the poll.

I have added estimated prices based on how many I think I would have to make ( mostly very, very small numbers). The more people that purchase, the lower the price *could* be.

1. Phantom lever kit - ~$225
basically a lever kit designed for a phantom. The current design is set up to be inletted into a stock. It could also be used with winchester hardware with some changes. Includes the frame "rail", lever, linkages etc. It can, in theory, use winchester levers for people who would like a different lever shape.

If nobody is really interested in winchester format I will redesign it a bit to shrink it down and just follow my own layout for the lever.

2. Break action - $1500+
I am going with an over under. There is already someone working on a side by side. I don't know if it is still moving forward, but I won't try to step on their toes.

This one gets very complicated in a hurry. There are still a lot of details to nail down. Things like internal / external cocking, Single or double stage trigger, shells / no shells, ejectors / no ejectors, stocked ( where do I put the QC???), pirated and so on. If there is a stock, what type to use? Better yet, who has one to get mounting dimensions from? Go with mossberg 500 since I already have the mounting dimensions? Forearm, same questions.

3. Revolver body kit with design inspiration from the boba fett revolver. - $500 to $600

Basically a body kit for a DRV ( not included). Stock mounting bracket, barrel cover, sight mounts, maybe some artistic side plates for the sides of the body.

It would not be identical to the boba fett blaster, just inspired by it. I can't make it the same as that would be trademarked.

changing the action from revolver to elevator style would increase the cost/complexity.

4. Solo inspired pistol - I have no idea its too damn small to fit internals

5. stormtrooper inspired pistol - $500-$600 plus a donor tipx

I think i can make that work with parts form a tipx. it would take some investigation. off the shelf parts would probably help reduce the price. I would have to look into what I could buy / modify to work.

6.mag fed phantom kit ~ $175
A new take on the mag fed dsp, but without a new frame. Just a magwell that can be used on any cci phantom body and takes tipx mags.

The idea is this, forget about trying to load the mag into the existing breech. There isn't enough room to do it currently. I haven't got the equipment to make new bodies relieably. Besides, once I replace the body and frame its not a phantom any more.

The phantom is breech drop which is definately not ideal for mag fed. Instead of trying to design around the breech, just move everything forward and make it a bore drop. I machine the feed port for the mag into a sacrificial barrel, clamp a magwell around it, make a new extra long bolt ( or a removable tip for the exsiting pahntom bolt) and an extended pump rod. It can now use standard phantom bodies, phantom frames, dsp frames ( likely others), cocker threaded barrels ( I don't have the tooling for phantom), standard phantom internals ( except the bolt), I can probably make it accept undercocking kits as well.

Going back to stock/open class takes a couple of minutes. replace the bolt, pump arm, remove the magwell and reinstall an sc/open class feed.

The image is not a finished design, it just shows the concept.

7. Right feed dsp slide and foregrip - $235

Looks just like a center feed but set up for right feed. No feed will be available for this as it would look just plain wierd lol.

8. Phantom 1 piece springfeed - ~120

The material is not stocked at my usual supplier so I would likely have to special order an entire length.

Its not truly 1 piece as it has a parabolic feed plug on the end. Will be compatible with standard phantoms and dsp slides. Can be used with spring and plunger, or add a feedcap and use it with 10 round tubes.

. Ill post the concept tommorrow.

Last edited by dukie; 03-17-2014 at 06:14 PM.
dukie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
if there are options I missed let me know and if I find there was enough interest in the other thread I will add it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
HUG?!

Brass N Wood Fan
Lever kit be neat... But that is all I need is another Marker project.
But a Phantom mag/lever kit I might do. So will the mag be sticking out the side like an PPSH-41 or sten? (smg-68 for non gun nuts) Also when you say ANY CCI body does that include the Revolution?
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpaintball View Post
Lever kit be neat... But that is all I need is another Marker project.
But a Phantom mag/lever kit I might do. So will the mag be sticking out the side like an PPSH-41 or sten? (smg-68 for non gun nuts) Also when you say ANY CCI body does that include the Revolution?
the lever kit would be compatible with the magwell kit. Its a vertical magwell, just pushed forward in front of the grip frame instead of in it.

It might work with a revolution, but I have never taken one apart to see say for sure. It all depends where and how the pump rod goes through. If its similar to a normal phantom then probably yes.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Mag kit for a phantom! Yes!

Quote:
2. Break action - $1500+
I am going with an over under. There is already someone working on a side by side. I don't know if it is still moving forward, but I won't try to step on their toes.Fair enough

This one gets very complicated in a hurry. There are still a lot of details to nail down. Things like internal / external cocking, Single or double stage trigger Double would be cool, but if it is super complicated it is not worth it. KISS, shells / no shellsNo shells...to much hassle to deal with on the field, slow...KISS, ejectors / no ejectorsNo shells = no ejectors, un needed complications...KISS, stocked ( where do I put the QC???), pirated and so on. If there is a stock, what type to use? Better yet, who has one to get mounting dimensions from? Go with mossberg 500 since I already have the mounting dimensions?Mossberg has the option for a wood stock yes? Is so, go with that and let people pirate them them selves if they choose? Don't go re inventing the wheel...KISS Forearm, same questions.
KISS! (as much as possible in a crazy, silly but awesome, scratch build gun!)
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
crap, the poll doesn't tell me who voted for what anymore.

please post with what you voted for so I know who to contact later.

i'm going to move this out to the deadzone to get more exposure. posts don't stay visible for long enough on the main page.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'd be game for a lever for my phantom
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

The magfed Phantom extension wouldn't require a longer powertube?
Or would that be contained inside the new bore-drop bolt (or its TPC)?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
The magfed Phantom extension wouldn't require a longer powertube?
Or would that be contained inside the new bore-drop bolt (or its TPC)?
that would probably end up being related to the bolt or bolt tip. It hasn't gotten that far yet.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
aka Alby

Send a message via AIM to pinkanese

AKA Fan
I voted for the lever kit and Phantom mag kit. Any chance you would make a top mounted springfeed to go with the lever kit?
Nobody actually plays on MCB, they just hoard and sell.
WTB Kingman Hammer II, PM me
I like old stickers, just sayin...
pinkanese is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone