mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
You can get the black Revo 2.0 ears at Paintballgateway.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraus View Post
This new mask is coming out - same frames, but different ears (much more comfy than the hard ears) and a flex lower. The frames are the same green as the lower, this picture just doesn't reflect that.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/qvzw6.ewf2b...jpg?1393520431
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Ouch.
Sounds like you need to do what I do to my various hard ears. A pair of zip-ties (carefully applied so that the sharp bit is facing outwards) should keep the foam in place. On this mask, I made replacement foam by cutting up some cheapie pipe insulation I picked up at home depot for another project.
It may not look it but this is super comfy and has lasted for 4 years now.

http://s29.postimg.org/5ua9e9553/IMG...184835_131.jpg
20mb image hosting

Not... really.
I've been looking to replace my Spectra for a while too but after wearing them for over half my life nothing else feels right.
V-Force Grillz comes close, and I really like the lens lock system on the Vents/Invert Avatar/Empire E-Vents, but it doesn't breathe as well and the face foam feels too thin.

On every other mask out there the ear pieces fail to protect my earlobes.
I would either do the pipe insulation mod to the hard ears or look at the new colour combo Proflex from Kee if you are looking for a new mask.

I have 5 different masks in my collection and I just keep going back to my Proflexes (I have 2 & in different colour combos) time after time, so I know how when you find a mask that just works for you.

The new soft ears are MUCH better then the old foam ones. I used to double up my foam soft ears & glue them together so that I wouldn't rip them as easily. Another thing to try is running either the E-vent or E-flex ears on your current mask. They mount right in place but you might need the mounting hardware from a pair of soft ears.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

I'm going to chime in a bit late here (first i've seen this post)

Here is my current mask. Between me and bro we have 5 of them (painted different for seasonal changes, and good for loaners)

JT Invader, a $30 thermal mask that has treated me well for many years! We actually have the "Nvader 2" but the only store i can find it at has a bad rep with local field owners, so i try not to give them business.

Last edited by panhead4411; 04-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Sanity Impaired

If you are into DIY and on a bit of a budget I would try what I did when my proshield was ready for retirement.

-Found a replacement frame with newer foam
-Ordered a new strap and some old style foam soft ears with hardware
-Slap it together and pretend like im not old enough to have worn out several proshields...
Someone here at MCB sent me in this direction dont recall who atm...

Dutch Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

I will vouch for flexes, I was very disappointed in the eflex (bought at about $150 Canadian like 6 months after release). The i4 and anything else with soft ear will have ears fall apart (speaking of which I need to replace mine, maybe I can revo ear mod it?). The grill I had was a fantastic mask until the rubber ripped near the ear

So for me I liked the grill, and the newer flexes. Heck I may get a set of the clear/black ones because 1of 1200 frames and bottoms (at least in this new run? Don't know if ans gear is too trustworthy on that) for $30 and I will eventually need smoke lens and clear.
Did I tell you that any LE flexes from this extravaganza comes with 2 lens?

The other option if it fits like some said is maybe buy another proshield and throw on some revo 2 ears
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I'm a big fan of the JT flex 8 full helmet... Been using mine since I started playing paintball, and it is great. As long as you change your lens every year or two (I do it when it starts fogging) it is a very comfortable mask, and protects the back of your head if you are a front player who often gets shot from behind...

I also run a fan inside it, for those really long humid games, and that does the trick if it starts to fog up...

FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
I'm going to chime in a bit late here (first i've seen this post)

Here is my current mask. Between me and bro we have 5 of them (painted different for seasonal changes, and good for loaners)

JT Invader, a $30 thermal mask that has treated me well for many years! We actually have the "Nvader 2" but the only store i can find it at has a bad rep with local field owners, so i try not to give them business.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...psb7b591d8.jpg

This is an elite goggle frame isn't it ? The peripheral on those are not very good. The spectra frame is a bit better.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

VForce Profiler. Best field of vision in the game.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
This is an elite goggle frame isn't it ? The peripheral on those are not very good. The spectra frame is a bit better.
You may say 'it is not very good' but i've been using this frame since i've started, 10+ years and i've yet to ever feel like they are in any way limiting.

Not one single time have i been disadvantaged by the 170* (ish) view angle. Not once. (yes technically the human eye can catch movement farther than that, but in all the games i've played it simply has not made a difference)

For $30 for a Thermal lens, you can't beat that with a stick.

I will also state, i have glasses, and have also never had a problem with my glasses in them either.

Plus they have a visor, which is a Godsend if you have to play in the rain.

Plus the top of the lens (where the plastic black venty part is) is wide enough to attach a 30x10mm fan (or two) for the rainy/humid days. (which work WAAAY better than any pre-made system i've ever seen)

Last edited by panhead4411; 04-08-2014 at 03:03 PM.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
You may say 'it is not very good' but i've been using this frame since i've started, 10+ years and i've yet to ever feel like they are in any way limiting.

Not one single time have i been disadvantaged by the 170* (ish) view angle. Not once. (yes technically the human eye can catch movement farther than that, but in all the games i've played it simply has not made a difference)

For $30 you can't beat that with a stick.

I will also state, i have glasses, and have also never had a problem with my glasses in them either.

Plus they have a visor, which is a Godsend if you have to play in the rain.

Plus the top of the lens (where the plastic black venty part is) is wide enough to attach a 30x10mm fan (or two) for the rainy/humid days. (which work WAAAY better than any pre-made system i've ever seen)
I hear ya. I wear glasses as well and usually take a razor blade to the foam on most goggles to clear my glasses frames.

30 bones Scott Voltage XP..good periph and comes with a thermal lens. This is what I have been sporting but with that said I will probably be going with the tried and true Spectra next.

For big ear folk the hard plastic ears on the voltage XP may rub ya raw. Only change I made to mine was the soft rubber scott visor and some camo tape.

Last edited by JeffS77; 04-08-2014 at 01:16 PM.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone